• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes McCann Remington 700 Scope Base???

kingston

▬▬ι═ Ѡ ═ι▬▬
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
Has anyone ever used this base. It is made by McCann Industries from "solid cold formed key stock'. I read an article written for an Australian publication featuring two McMillian rifles with McCann scope bases on them. I do not see too much else out there. Does anybody use these? Thanks

http://www.mccannindustries.com/mount/700base/700base.html

Re: McCann Remington 700 Scope Base???

Kingston,

I would shy away from anything made by McCann.

This particular base does not have the recoil lug commonly seen on NightForce and Badger bases. This recoil lug is a small lip that extends below the front receiver O.D. and catches the front edge of your ejection port cut. When seated accordingly, this contact keeps any recoil and shear stress away from the base mounting screws.

Making a base with this feature is more expensive but is pretty much the way to go with any serious rifle and todays heavy scopes.

McCann has this same issue with their MIRS mounts. Screws shearing and McCann doing ZERO to address the situation.

They attempt to make a case for their mount in the text of their web page but do not address the need for the very feature that makes a large difference in price and performance.

Best,
Terry

I've never used the McCann rail but I did go into his shop up in Spanaway, Washington back in 2006.

The most unhelpful and rude shop I've ever been in. I had a few questions about his mounts and basically got jack for help.

Judging by his customer service I would not recommend any of his products.

don't know about the customer service but i do have one of his rails on a 300 win mag and it has functioned flawlessly. it does have angled screws that set at the front of the ejection port to function as checks against recoil.

military used them on early mk13 builds without incident.

just another perspective.......from a group of 1

Well, I've gotten some hot and cold reviews so far on both this forum and another. I have corresponded with Richard McCann and he has been very helpful. It's been 10 years since I put together a precision rifle. While I'm happy to be back in the game, I've really struggled with all the options these days. It used to be Mark 4 everything and you were good (it probably still is). I've decide to try a bunch of combination on at least two rifles. I've ordered McCann's base, Seekin's base and rings, and LaRue's Base and rings. Should be fun. Thanks for your comments. Keep'em coming and I will report my experiences as I move forward.

(AH, post #1, I have been here a while just had nothing to say until now...)

Just wondering - How did that McCann base turned out?

I spoke with him on the phone and found him to be very straight forward and no BS or wind up your skirt... I could see where he could be taken wrong. I have heard form several folks whose lives depend(ed) on weapons say that the stuff is gtg.