• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McGowen barrels???

Judd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2010
DFW
Why don't I see them used on custom rigs as much as some of the others? I have one and it has been a good one. I just wondered if there was something I didn't know. Getting ready for another build and seeing if I just got a good one or they just aren't popular for another reason.

Thanks guys.

Re: McGowen barrels???

From what I understand the McGowan barrels suffered a couple of changes in ownership and some QC issues a few years back. I hear that they are making great barrels now but are really in an uphill climb to regain the reputation that was damaged. There are so many great barrel makers now that most guys just find it easier to go in another direction.

I got one on my 300 win mag, shooting sub-quarter-MOA. I'm very pleased with the barrel but not so with the folks at McGowen. Horrible customer service!!! They called me to tell me the barrel is ready, three weeks later still no barrel in my hands. So I called them and they told me my barrel is still in lapping. Two weeks later I called again, still in lapping. And so on. I'll stick now with Broughton barrels.

I have nothing but good to say about them,barrel shoots great and they were about two weeks ahead of what they quoted me on time. I heard they are also setting up to do cut rifled barrles now.

I got one in 223 from Northlander over on Savage Shooters forum a couple of years ago. It has shoot great from day one, and cleans up easy, with little to no copper fouling.

My buddy has one in 223 that shoots lights out. We haven't been able to find a load that didn't shoot well yet. Some have shot worse than others but they have all been under moa.

Thanks for the information guys. Now I have a tough decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mbrittan308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got one in 223 from Northlander over on Savage Shooters forum a couple of years ago. It has shoot great from day one, and cleans up easy, with little to no copper fouling.
</div></div>

I bought one from Savage-Barrels in 6.5-284 and I have the same experience with mine. Really shocked every time I clean the barrel with a copper remover, very little comes out. My Sendero is getting better but still has a lot of fouling.