• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mcgowen customer service?

RITWIN

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2022
Rhode Island
Firstly sorry for the long post but its a long story...
Anyone have trouble getting emails or good customer service from McGowen on Yahoo or Gmail!? I have had what seems to be a rather rude experience so far... I put in an order for about a $700 full custom barrel and I had noticed that after I had ordered it I had mistakenly clicked on the 8 straight flutes instead of the helical flutes I wanted... no big deal right? Call em up and make a simple change and bobs your uncle... I have what like 12-16 weeks of lead time anyway? Nope! Called em up and was rather curtly told I have to do it through email, like I was bothering the guy to ask a question. I thought ok will do, so I sent them an email stating my issue and also noticed that I never even got a confirmation email but got no response. I waited thinking maybe they are busy... nothing. I emailed again at both email addresses respectfully reiterating my issue and then I finally got a rather impersonal reply from Dan Wynne, only

"It was emailed to you twice on 9/19/22. Disregard [email protected] No longer exists."

So I respectfully and nicely replied:

Hello, thank you for the response Dan. There seems to be something going wrong (I can only think maybe its being sent to the wrong email address somehow) because your response just now has been the only contact I have had which is greatly appreciated. If you could forward the previous confirmation email and change order email to either
********@yahoo.com
Or
********@gmail.com it would also be greatly appreciated
Thank you for your time, Dan

I got only this in response...

"Nope, going to the email address that you sent this email from. It’s Gmail & Yahoo that are blocking it. You have to go into your settings for your email and list us as a trusted email."

Now... I have not one single security setting and or blocked email address in any of my accounts. I have never had any company not be able to email me a confirmation email when purchasing a product at the very least let alone any other but I never the less complied and added them to my contacts and "trusted" list and sent another email reply to Dan stating this...
"Hello Dan,
[email protected] and mcgowenbarrel.com is now a trusted email address and added to my contact list for both accounts can you please resend the emails. I don't know what else to do after that, I am not sure how I can receive emails from you directly from [email protected] and every other company I have dealt with but not your company, they are not showing up in my spam folder either. Is there a specific other email address that they are coming from besides the admin one that I can add? I would like to do business with you guys, I hear you make a great product."

I have yet to get a response... I have paid in full $700 to a company that barely responds to me and can't get a simple confirmation email to me and seems rather unwilling to help or even really try to figure out how or why... I am at the point where I am about to say F*** it and file a claim with PayPal and get my money back and go to criterion or something but I really just wanted the barrel I ordered... Anyone else have this kinda trouble or rudeness with McGowen?

-Dan

Reactions: 260284
That's really odd, and contrary to my experience with Dan and the rest of McGowen. I put in an online order for a barrel for my MPA 300-WM, and they contacted me shortly thereafter to confirm, and provide a few suggestions on how to make it better for what I was trying to do. Got the barrel and it was perfect. Ordered another replacement barrel in 6.5-CM for my Tikka, and actually made one error which was quickly resolved with a phone call to CS. Got both barrels in almost exactly the promised lead-time. Sorry you're having issues ... my experience was super-positive.

I also had a great experience with Dan. I ordered an ar10 barrel in 6cm back in the spring, and when it came in the feed ramps needed a little work so that it would feed correctly. They immediately sent me a shipping label, corrected the issue and had it back to me faster than I could have thought possible.

First mistake was spending $700 on a McGowen barrel.

Secondly- don’t go the PayPal route b/c they will ban you for life and take any money you have with them. Rifle barrels violate their company policy. Honestly I can’t believe McGowen even accepts PayPal.

Reactions: Huskydriver
That's really odd, and contrary to my experience with Dan and the rest of McGowen. I put in an online order for a barrel for my MPA 300-WM, and they contacted me shortly thereafter to confirm, and provide a few suggestions on how to make it better for what I was trying to do. Got the barrel and it was perfect. Ordered another replacement barrel in 6.5-CM for my Tikka, and actually made one error which was quickly resolved with a phone call to CS. Got both barrels in almost exactly the promised lead-time. Sorry you're having issues ... my experience was super-positive.
I was told when I called on the phone that they couldn't change my order over the phone and everything had to be done through email, which there inlies my problem.... the emails..... I have since emailed and politely canceled my order yesterday at 4 pm on a sunday using the same admin email address and wouldn't you know it... suprise suprise I got an email at 3:30am this morning from yet again the same admin email address which means they sent it at midnight their time with my "invoice and confirmation"... after I canceled my order...

First mistake was spending $700 on a McGowen barrel.

Secondly- don’t go the PayPal route b/c they will ban you for life and take any money you have with them. Rifle barrels violate their company policy. Honestly I can’t believe McGowen even accepts PayPal.
I like to go the paypal route when its available for exactly reasons like this if there is a dispute or lack of a company shipping out an order that I paid for or a host of a million other reasons because I can just file a claim with PayPal and get reimbursed for it from PayPal no questions asked then PayPal goes after the company for the money. Its like purchase insurance

I like to go the paypal route when its available for exactly reasons like this if there is a dispute or lack of a company shipping out an order that I paid for or a host of a million other reasons because I can just file a claim with PayPal and get reimbursed for it from PayPal no questions asked then PayPal goes after the company for the money. Its like purchase insurance
And it was $680 (rounded up to $700 for convenience of typing) because it was a FULL custom barrel, from the cut profile to chambering, fluted and ceracoated a whole bunch of extra stuff, the base barrel price was only $300..

I was told when I called on the phone that they couldn't change my order over the phone and everything had to be done through email, which there inlies my problem.... the emails..... I have since emailed and politely canceled my order yesterday at 4 pm on a sunday using the same admin email address and wouldn't you know it... suprise suprise I got an email at 3:30am this morning from yet again the same admin email address which means they sent it at midnight their time with my "invoice and confirmation"... after I canceled my order...
I'd be really surprised if there was any consciously inappropriate intent here. Their problem is that they have "so much" business right now, that everything, including customer responsiveness ... is suffering. It sounds like two problems ... (1) a policy of managing change orders "only" via Email, and (2) not enough resources to respond to all the support Email. Time to do some hiring !!!

I'd be really surprised if there was any consciously inappropriate intent here. Their problem is that they have "so much" business right now, that everything, including customer responsiveness ... is suffering. It sounds like two problems ... (1) a policy of managing change orders "only" via Email, and (2) not enough resources to respond to all the support Email. Time to do some hiring !!!
Thats what I'm saying... if they are SOO busy and by the looks of other forum posts have been for literal years now, they are making enough to pay some people to handle their corporate business and correspondence, if Amazon can... well...be as big as Amazon and do that volume of business Im sure its possible for mcgowen to as well. That being said while i was on the search for another mcgowen email address on the interwebs I stumbled across some very telling "Indeed" employee reviews of the company.... not such a great place to work by what former employees are saying... 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn't really say I had a problem with them- but sure wasn't impressed. Was getting ready to order a barrel but asked a question about the reamer they used... received back what came off as a annoyed and they didn't have time to deal with something like this email. Not a big issue- purchased my barrel from a different company.

Reactions: 260284
I wouldn't really say I had a problem with them- but sure wasn't impressed. Was getting ready to order a barrel but asked a question about the reamer they used... received back what came off as a annoyed and they didn't have time to deal with something like this email. Not a big issue- purchased my barrel from a different company.
As did I, I went with carbon six.... the irony is positively palpable...😒

Reactions: Hickswr

Your reading comprehension sucks. Try again-

2827E887-9ECA-4356-A53E-AA961989632C.jpeg

View attachment 7964335
My reading comprehension is actually fantastic according to my multiple degrees, security clearances and licenses which would have helped me out if I had ever read that article bud... you can't assume that everyone has read everything you have... That being said I have purchased literally ALL of those listed items RECENTLY and didn't have one single issue with PayPal blocking a payment and or getting refunded for said items or even so much as mentioning it to me. So as The saying goes "don't believe everything that you read"

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
I have no experience with McGowan barrels. I have driven by their shop several times and it is quite small and honestly in the middle of a Californian hot spot in the middle of nowhere montana. I can see why they have a hiring problem.

Reactions: RITWIN
My reading comprehension is actually fantastic according to my multiple degrees, security clearances and licenses which would have helped me out if I had ever read that article bud... you can't assume that everyone has read everything you have... That being said I have purchased literally ALL of those listed items RECENTLY and didn't have one single issue with PayPal blocking a payment and or getting refunded for said items or even so much as mentioning it to me. So as The saying goes "don't believe everything that you read"

Well excuse me!

Please contact PayPal on my behalf and inform them you have multiple degrees and they should remove my lifetime ban for someone sending me money and putting “Hornady ammo” in the comments field and to also refund the $93 that was in my PayPal account when they froze it.

Was just trying to help you out but now I hope they keep your money and McGowen puts the wrong flutes on it and it shoots 3 MOA groups🥳

Well excuse me!

Please contact PayPal on my behalf and inform them you have multiple degrees and they should remove my lifetime ban for someone sending me money and putting “Hornady ammo” in the comments field and to also refund the $93 that was in my PayPal account when they froze it.

Was just trying to help you out but now I hope they keep your money and McGowen puts the wrong flutes on it and it shoots 3 MOA groups🥳
So your experience with PayPal is like my experience with McGowen... WHOO we can have a pity party 🥳 together... 🙄

Having someone freeze your money, is not really the same as getting all butt hurt because someone isn't sending confirmations and e-mails fast enough. So easy peasy bobs your uncle, no hurry 12-16 weeks, when he is waiting on you to get your order right. Then when you are waiting on him to straighten out your mistake, better fucking hurry eh? 9-19 to 9-26, 5 business days. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I am calling
1664239831778.png
For having all these degrees and security clearances. You must be pretty smart, important, and bad ass; but to confirm. Whats your bench press, any years working concrete, and how many bow kills do you have? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You know fuck all about business if you can't figure out why McGowan cant run like amazon. Degrees must be in reading comprehension.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BTW, You are bugging them calling, he has to quit working to answer the phone. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason you got an email @ 3am [1AM MDT} is because he was answering e-mails after working in the shop all day.

I imagine your meltdown is going to be epic when they freeze your pay pal for violating their well known and established firearms polices. Please come back and have it here also.

1664241584453.png

I am sure @Hickswr will feel super sorry for you. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

yep you got screwed . kiss that money gone bye bye money .

1664242512128.png

you could get lucky and get something back but Id doubt it . the universe got you pretty good even the industrial jar of lube won't make that burning feeling feel any better . joking aside if the company did go bankrupt you being owed 700 dollars really isn't going to high on the list of people to pay back , while it may be a lot of money to you your only relief is in knowing others investors lost more a lot more . hope you get that money back 100x's over or at least the item you bought and best wishes .

Oooo billy badass is back everyone watch out!! He tends to get a little worked up. Huh turns out I did have pending thread...🤔

Having someone freeze your money, is not really the same as getting all butt hurt because someone isn't sending confirmations and e-mails fast enough. So easy peasy bobs your uncle, no hurry 12-16 weeks, when he is waiting on you to get your order right. Then when you are waiting on him to straighten out your mistake, better fucking hurry eh? 9-19 to 9-26, 5 business days. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I am calling
View attachment 7964349
For having all these degrees and security clearances. You must be pretty smart, important, and bad ass; but to confirm. Whats your bench press, any years working concrete, and how many bow kills do you have? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You know fuck all about business if you can't figure out why McGowan cant run like amazon. Degrees must be in reading comprehension.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BTW, You are bugging them calling, he has to quit working to answer the phone. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason you got an email @ 3am [1AM MDT} is because he was answering e-mails after working in the shop all day.

I imagine your meltdown is going to be epic when they freeze your pay pal for violating their well known and established firearms polices. Please come back and have it here also.

View attachment 7964372
I am sure @Hickswr will feel super sorry for you. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
1664277939173.png

Lol that is pretty gay to whine to the authorities without confronting the person yourself

Reactions: lash
Thats what I'm saying... if they are SOO busy and by the looks of other forum posts have been for literal years now, they are making enough to pay some people to handle their corporate business and correspondence, if Amazon can... well...be as big as Amazon and do that volume of business Im sure its possible for mcgowen to as well. That being said while i was on the search for another mcgowen email address on the interwebs I stumbled across some very telling "Indeed" employee reviews of the company.... not such a great place to work by what former employees are saying... 🤷‍♂️
Could McGowan hire some people? Possibly, but I could reply with "tell me you've never owned a small business without telling me you've never owned a small business". I get that you're expecting a certain experience with ordering something that costs a fair amount of money. All us small businesses in the firearms industry are extremely busy. Hiring an entry level person who can handle the emails and customer service stuff takes time to find the right person, train them, and then hope that they actually show up to work for the likely only $10-$13/hr that we can barely afford to pay them. If they were going to get an employee, it would likely be a machinist, or somebody that can do the more technical jobs because they would be generating revenue through production by increasing productivity, keeping up with demand, or perhaps even catching up a bit.

I've tried to get another painter to help me out for years, and have had several come through, had more setup interviews that they never showed up for, and some that just don't have what it takes to be a 1099 employee because I don't have the time, desire, or interest in doing payroll.

I'm basically saying cut small businesses some slack, please.

Branden

Read those ... three of 'em. Two negative, one positive, all from "former" employees. Frankly, that's about the average good-to-bad ratio for almost any company when you're talking about employees that have departed. Happy employees that leave for a different job, rarely provide positive reviews. I'm just sayin' ... don't read too much into this sample size. Like I mentioned, they've been good to me with two barrel orders, so I'm a fan-boy.

As did I, I went with carbon six.... the irony is positively palpable...😒

Well if your experience is anything like ours we will be seeing you back here again in a few months.

I barely made it through high school. But when I retired, I had dozens of PhD's and MBA's working for me. Multiple degrees ... I've discovered over decades ... is rarely and indicator of common sense and work ethic. I'm just sayin' ...

Calling out your "multiple degrees" on this message board, is a little like hanging a "Kick Me" sign on your ass. LOL

1664294347024.png

Hahahaha 😆 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣all the hate and paypal just refunded my payment, got what I needed out of this POS forum never to return, all yall haters and elitists can eat shit and die...✌️Bitches!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220927-122453_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220927-122453_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 92
No, McGowan just refunded your money. And with all those reading compression degrees...See where it says, "Mcgowan has accepted your refund request." That means that McGowan accepted your refund request. Which was never a thing they weren't going to do.

1664297108853.png

Last edited:
I barely made it through high school. But when I retired, I had dozens of PhD's and MBA's working for me. Multiple degrees ... I've discovered over decades ... is rarely and indicator of common sense and work ethic. I'm just sayin' ...

Calling out your "multiple degrees" on this message board, is a little like hanging a "Kick Me" sign on your ass. LOL
But he also has security clearances. That's clearly an indicator of work ethic and common sense...

I would rather my barrel maker focus on doing what he is best at (making barrels) than waste all of his time pandering to some hyper sensitive overly needy potential clients. I would wager he decided your money wasn't worth the constant distraction it was going to cost him in the long run. Perhaps he needed to be more polite, perhaps you needed to understand he builds barrels, not websites or email servers...

Reactions: lash and rlsmith1

View attachment 7964335
TBF this is a person's interpretation of their policy, not the actual policy taken from PP. Here is the wording in their policy "(j) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories" certain parts and accessories does not mean every and all things firearms related. If I had to guess, it probably means parts that have been banned, ie bumpstocks. If I had to guess as to why individual accounts get frozen when inserting comments, it's probably because they feel you are not legally purchasing them from an authorized retailer. Plenty of big businesses accept PP for firearm related stuff, EO, MKM, and other being some big/notable ones.

Last edited:
Hahahaha 😆 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣all the hate and paypal just refunded my payment, got what I needed out of this POS forum never to return, all yall haters and elitists can eat shit and die...✌️Bitches!!!
Anyone can "eat shit and die". Id say "eat shit and LIVE"

So sorry to see you go... But...

125dfbbb1bdf15ba7f2b4461641d7903902eca47d82a45dba756579b0164cc3d.jpg

They don't elaborate on which parts you can't buy with pay pal. I am guessing barrels aren't one since McGowan has a paypal portal to pay with. The OP did say he also bought ammo and firearms with his pay pal. I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of what he said was bull shit just based on that though.

I originally thought there had to be more to the story. I didnt think he could have generated enough butt hurt in 7 days to run and cry into the the interwebs, but his tender parts certainly got twisted up in his lady undergarments quickly. So who knows...

Still don't know if he is an official bad ass yet, it would help if he would come back and post his bow kill and bench press numbers. Its OK if you never worked concrete, we can over look that cause of your degrees and security clearance.

Now i really am just trolling.

1664301758905.png

Attachments

• 1664301597887.png
    1664301597887.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I cannot speak to the quality of the gunsmithing or how McGowen barrels perform, because I never received the correct barrel. There is one thing I can comment on ...

Dan Wynne, McGowen General Manager, (and the guy you will have to deal with) is one of the most unprofessional business people I have ever had the unfortunate opportunity to deal with. His customer service skills, communication skills, and attention to detail are unbelievably horrible!

My best advise to someone looking at McGowen Barrel is to "RUN" and never look back. I am serious, do not do business with McGowen Barrel. I am sharing because I do not want anyone to experience the 5-month ordeal that I just went through. There are plenty of other barrel makers out there that will "earn" your business.