• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McGowen Precision Barrels - Great Customer Experience

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    I've gotten two pre-fit build-to-order barrels from McGowen ... the 6.5-CM screwed on and Go/NoGo were perfect ... shoots better than new in my Tikka T3x TAC A1. Finally (after almost two years) got around to mounting the 300-WM barrel on my MPA-BA, and the bolt wouldn't seat on a Go-Gauge ... but I could force it into battery (with difficulty) on a newly sized case. Seemed to be slightly short-chambered. Contacted the gang at McGowen and they (a) responded almost immediately, (b) took it back without question, (c) sized it to my action, bolt, and dummy rounds along with their Go/NoGo gauges, and (d) have it shipping back to me now after fixing it in less than four business days.

As features, functions, speeds, and feeds "mush" together in this world of competitive products, the truly positive customer relationships are forged when something goes wrong, and needs to be fixed. These guys have proved their value, stood by their product, and earned my continuing business.

A lot of companies take a lot of heat in these forums, and I wanted to balance that with a very positive experience.

The CS hasn't been the problem I have seen or heard about. The product has been the problem. And this is the second replacement barrel. It shoots like dog shit too after a re crown. That's right 3 barrels and this is the best one. I gave up. Fuck them if they turn out dog shit like this.

Attachments

• 20230109_170913.jpg
      20230109_170913.jpg
      198.7 KB · Views: 104
    • 20230109_164857.jpg
      20230109_164857.jpg
      256.4 KB · Views: 98
    • 20230109_165126.jpg
      20230109_165126.jpg
      325.7 KB · Views: 104
    I cannot speak to the quality of the gunsmithing or how McGowen barrels perform, because I never received the correct barrel. There is one thing I can comment on ...

Dan Wynne, McGowen General Manager, (and the guy you will have to deal with) is one of the most unprofessional business people I have ever had the unfortunate opportunity to deal with. His customer service skills, communication skills, and attention to detail are unbelievably horrible!

My best advise to someone looking at McGowen Barrel is to "RUN" and never look back. I am serious, do not do business with McGowen Barrel. I am sharing because I do not want anyone to experience the 5-month ordeal that I just went through. There are plenty of other barrel makers out there that will "earn" your business.

I have 2 McGowen remage barrels. Both shoot about as well as my Criterion. Both have decent action and brake threads with the correct profile and length.

No dealings with Customer Service.

I didn't expect a bughole shooting barrel at the price and they work fine for ringing steel at the clubs ELR range.

I have two McGowen barrels ... both shoot well. My customer service experience on the 300-WM barrel return/rechamber was excellent. Can't speak to anyone else's experiences ... just my own.

I've gotten two pre-fit build-to-order barrels from McGowen ... the 6.5-CM screwed on and Go/NoGo were perfect ... shoots better than new in my Tikka T3x TAC A1. Finally (after almost two years) got around to mounting the 300-WM barrel on my MPA-BA, and the bolt wouldn't seat on a Go-Gauge ... but I could force it into battery (with difficulty) on a newly sized case. Seemed to be slightly short-chambered. Contacted the gang at McGowen and they (a) responded almost immediately, (b) took it back without question, (c) sized it to my action, bolt, and dummy rounds along with their Go/NoGo gauges, and (d) have it shipping back to me now after fixing it in less than four business days.

As features, functions, speeds, and feeds "mush" together in this world of competitive products, the truly positive customer relationships are forged when something goes wrong, and needs to be fixed. These guys have proved their value, stood by their product, and earned my continuing business.

A lot of companies take a lot of heat in these forums, and I wanted to balance that with a very positive experience.
    Yeah I’d say they have plenty of practice getting the job “right” the 2nd or 3rd or 4th time. I’d prefer to get a barrel from a manufacturer right the 1st time. Their product is dog shit, and their customer service is even worse.

• Wow
    Reactions: Maggot