• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing MCM A-5 Rem 700 Issue

Seagrave7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Put my Rem 700 in my new MCM A-5 stock. Just went out to the range this weekend. Got back from the range and noticed this. White mark on stock right under the barrel in the middle of the photo below. Is the barrel moving and hitting the stock? Should I be concerned?

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_4775a.jpg

Re: MCM A-5 Rem 700 Issue

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can you take the action out of the stock so we can get a better view </div></div>

I can but its just on the end of the stock. Nothing else under the barrel. Its a thin line along that ridge. Almost as if the barrel rubbed off the paint. Could I have tightened the bipod too much? Or when tightening it on could I have pushed the stock into the barrel?

It may be-is there any hint of a matching mark on the barrel?

I always order (or get) a larger barrel channel than I need. McM's are good, but not as stiff as Manners.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It may be-is there any hint of a matching mark on the barrel?

</div></div>

There was. I took a dry small patch and ran it through the end of the channel between the barrel and stock.

If there was a mark on the barrel it may be touching when fired.
I'd shoot it again to se if the mark appears again on the barrel just to rule out the possibility it was bumped when dropping the barreled action into the stock. If it leaves any marking on the barrel again I'd open the barrel channel up some.

Has the stock been bedded?

If not, bedding is your fix if everything else (uniform barrel channel, action screws torqued properly) checks out ok. I'd wait until it is bedded to mess with the barrel channel if problems persist.

If it is bedded, how much pad was poured in front of the lug?

Heavy barrels and McM A-series stocks have a flexible relationship. It usually isn't evident until the rifle is sitting on a bipod.

If there is ANY doubt I would wrap some sandpaper around a suitable size dowel and just clean a lil' more out of the channel..

No bedding. I believe it is free floated all the way to the tab on the end of the barrel that sits in the stock before the lug bolts.

If I want to get it bedded, anyone know of someone who can do quality bedding in the west los angeles / santa monica CA area?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seagrave7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No bedding. I believe it is free floated all the way to the tab on the end of the barrel that sits in the stock before the lug bolts.

If I want to get it bedded, anyone know of someone who can do quality bedding in the west los angeles / santa monica CA area? </div></div>

Since you're in Kalifornia, I'd send it to Randy at R&D Precision for bedding if you decide too....I don't know where he is compared to you but he'll do a helluva a good job for ya!

You did it when you assembled it and did not see it then. No effing way it can move that much when bolted in tight. Look at the angle of the mark - appears to be at about 30 degrees off the horizontal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seagrave7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If I want to get it bedded, anyone know of someone who can do quality bedding in the west los angeles / santa monica CA area? </div></div>

Randy (HateCA) is nearby... http://www.rdprecision.net/contact.html

Don't know if he'd be able to do it given his work load. If he can't, I'm sure he could recommend someone else.

Some say that McMillan stocks are plug_and_play but this is a perfect example of why you should bed in spite of what others may have experienced.

I was able to push on the top of the barrel and it touches the stock in the same spot. Very odd. I might have made that mark when I was tightening the bipod to the gun with a wrench. I hope its not touching when I shoot it. Is bedding the answer?

Did you miss the gist of HateCA's post right above yours? If he's taking work I'd get it to him for bedding.