• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McM A1-3?

JLM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2008
WY
Gents, how is the A1-3 when it comes to offhand/sling supported shooting? Is the forearm too wide for that type of application?

I'm about ready to call McM for either the A1-3 or a HTG. I have pretty big hands at 6'10" so
wink.gif

In my current locale there is really nowhere I can go to go 'hands on' with either of them so.

Thanks!

Re: McM A1-3?

I prefer the A1-3 primarily for the ease of use in non supported positions. The hasty sling and this weapon were meant for each other.

The higher comb of the A1-3 is also helpful if you're going to mount large optics. It's tough for me to get a good cheek weld on a HTG with 34mm S&B optics. Even the "low" rings (1.0" high) are just not low enough.

Gents could I talk you out of some pics of the forend so I can see the profile and how chunky it really is? Thanks!

xmrem1.jpg

not chunky at all, the a2 is chunkyer.If your a big dude get a stock that you can add a spacer system,i dont think its available for this one anymore.The cheeck piece isnt high enough for large optics contrary to popular belief.My scope has a 50mm bell,medium rings and a badger 20 moa base any taller rings my cheeck will be floating in the air.Yes the comb is a little higher than the a1 htg but not too much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gents could I talk you out of some pics of the forend so I can see the profile and how chunky it really is? Thanks! </div></div>

Here's a few "before" pics of my A1-3 that happened to be my first bedding job. I'll have to take some "after" pics when I can. I'm using a Robar SR-90 profile barrel which is relatively close to a Remington Varmint barrel channel.

The forend is about the same dimensions as the A3 stock but it's smooth all around which helps on a bag or rest. It doesn't feel chunky like the A4 or A5 but is just thick enough to install a forward mounted night vision rail without any issue. I use the very rear of the Kabar style "blood grooves" to refence for my thumb & index finger (like a pinch movement) when shooting off-hand. It works well for me and is one of my favorite stocks.

P9260040.JPG

P9260039.JPG

P9260046.JPG

Cool, thanks guys! Any 'nose on' shots? ie looking from muzzle to rear?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool, thanks guys! Any 'nose on' shots? ie looking from muzzle to rear?

</div></div>

This is the only pic I've got, kinda crummy though.

P1210060.JPG

McMillan can install the spacer system on the A1-3 just like they do on the HTG/M40a1 stock. They're identical from the pistol grip to the butt, except for the slightly taller comb on the A1-3.

How robust is the spacer system?

I haven't heard of anyone here breaking one and a lot of Hide members have them on their rifles. It's rather stout as long as the spacer screws are tightened. If you don't really know your length of pull you can adjust it to fit. Also, it's convenient if you shoot in the winter (jacket & coat) then shoot in warmer climates wearing a t-shirt without compensating for the different eye relief due to thicker or thinner clothing including ballistic vests.

Police departments or the military use the spacer system a lot since they may issue the same rifle to different shooters, all who may be of different statures & builds. It's just another option. Some folks like them while others don't feel they need it. It's personal preference mainly. It also adds weight to the butt, but not by much.

I have an A1-3 on order, as far as I can tell it is the ideal stock for me and the shooting I want to do.

Do any of you have suggestions on barrel contour for this stock. I am currently leaning toward a fluted Krieger #10 MTU probably 24". I do want to have the capability of unsupported shooting with a sling but I must maintain optimal performance out to 1000 yards. I still have time to change the inletting if need be. Any good advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

MTU is very heavy. i prefer something more like the Remington Varmint or Med. Palma. the Lilja # 7 is similar to the Remington Varmit. i also rate the A1-3 lightyears ahead of the HTG. i've owned both.

Picture040.jpg

The A1-3 is sweet. Banshee here has one. The MTU contour is very heavy +1. Go with the Varmint above or a Sendero type contour and you will be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MTU is very heavy. i prefer something more like the Remington Varmint or Med. Palma. the Lilja # 7 is similar to the Remington Varmit. i also put the A1-3 lightyears ahead of the HTG.

Picture040.jpg
</div></div>

That is one beautiful rifle. What are the color % in that stock? And how do you like the Badger metal?

I have a A1-3 with Bartlein#7 with Adjustable LOP-works very well --great set up though do agree getting lined up with bigger scopes is difficult- have had to modify cheek a little to get right weld for both 50 and 56 NXS

Good to know. I have my eyes on the 50 NXS F1. May have to get a stock pack or pad.

Hrmmm, can you put a Karsten cheekpiece on the HTG?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earthtrekker1775</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What are the color % in that stock? And how do you like the Badger metal? </div></div>

the color mix is 60% light tan, 20% olive, 20% light brown. i like the BO A5s. a very solid and reliable. only drawback is they make noise when the magazine wiggles in the mag well, like when it gets bumped. this happens with all DBMs i've handled, tho.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hrmmm, can you put a Karsten cheekpiece on the HTG?

</div></div>

Yes.