• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

McM A5 broken cheekpiece (second time)...

pazzo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2008
Earlier this summer I had an issue with a broken cheekpiece (here's the original thread): http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...288#Post1236288

Now it's the other side which ripped out
frown.gif

Oh well...like before, a little bit of epoxy and it's better than new
laugh.gif

IMG_4728.jpg

IMG_4729.jpg

All fixed!
IMG_4730.jpg

Re: McM A5 broken cheekpiece (second time)...

Mine did the same thing, I put Devcon on mine and glued it down forever, I did not see it as a part I would need to take off again. I have not had a problem since. You could send it back, but I did not want to wait.

I could fix the base attachment plate part to the stock for good, but I've been able to fix it without having to resort to that (so far anyways).

This is kind of ridiculous - having a $1000 stock breaking due to a recoil/proper cheek weld
frown.gif

If this happens again I'm thinking I'll go the AICS route!?

Contact Mcmillan. They will always help you out.

do they only screw that thing in? if they do bed it in, I think they need to use more bedding compound.

We bed them in and your right that one doesn't have enough bedding compound. We jumped on this issue here in the shop about a month ago and re-emphasized that more marine tex is needed among other things.

If anybody else has an issue with it, we will correct it and make it right asap.

Same problem with mine. I bought the complete rifle thru a custom builder, and was told that it would take 5 weeks to get it returned to me. Looking at Manners stocks for the next rifle.

Living in Canada I don't have time to deal with this nonsense (this is primarily shipping/border customs issues).

Not to mention I'll have to re-bed it and such...
As far as I'm concerned it's been fixed. Provided the epoxy putty holds up I'll be good to go. If it breaks again, I'll be looking at either a permanent epoxy fix or another brand of stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manners.

Enough said. </div></div>

My bad,
I'll watch my tone next time
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShootToWin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We bed them in and your right that one doesn't have enough bedding compound. We jumped on this issue here in the shop about a month ago and re-emphasized that more marine tex is needed among other things.

If anybody else has an issue with it, we will correct it and make it right asap. </div></div>

I like my McMillans. Standup guys like STW who call their own mistakes and make good on their products are hard to find.

I will have another Mac in the next few months.

Or you could just order your McMillan stocks cut for the KMW Loggerhead Adjustable Comb. I have one and have stood on it and jumped...its solid.

KJ

KJ, what exactly are you talking about??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pazzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KJ, what exactly are you talking about?? </div></div>

He's referring to the KMW Loggerhead adj cheek hardware made by Terry Cross. You can order McMillan stocks with this option and when the stock is finished, it's shipped to Terry for the hardware installation. It's so much better than the McM hardware, and after using it you'll never again own a stock with the McMillan hardware. It's SOLID, and I've never had one come loose and have to be re-bedded.

It is very difficult however to bed the loggerhead hardware if it's not set up that way originally.

I also like the simple allen bolt to tighten the cheek, no more goofy knobs to snag on stuff.

Here's a pic:

Web_RD_2349.jpg

Thanks a lot for posting that pic.

I am SO MAD I didn't get that feature. I ordered the stock from JW so I don't think I had the option.

I just ordered 3 stocks from JW and all will have the KMW hardware. He doesn't keep them on hand regularly, but will order them that way no problem. Shoot him a email and he'll fix ya up
laugh.gif

Like I said before, the cost to swap it over would probably make this a waste of time. I'm glad I was able to fix it for now at least
frown.gif

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll email JW now and see what he has to say
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pazzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manners.

Enough said. </div></div>

My bad,
I'll watch my tone next time
wink.gif
</div></div>

He meant the company, Manners Composite Stocks. http://mannersstocks.com/

Hey fellas.
Mcmillan will always back up what they make 100%.
Please let me know if there is a problem with a stock I sold you but I usually just tell the person to go to Mcmillan direct and ask for a person I deal with there and tell them I sent you so they know the story. This way you can go direct and it save time and a second person in the middle.
Yes I do have KMW as an option that I will have it on my site soon. The install is 125.00 so it will bring the overall price up some but if it's what you want then just let me know. I'll even have some in stock in a couple of months on the shelf.
I still believe Mcmillan is the best stock out there. I wouldn't be selling them if I didn't. Don't hesitate to talk to Ryan at Mcmillan if you have any issues. He's a great guy and he'll take care of you.
Thanks for the business fellas and stay safe!!

just get an Accuracy International rifle instead

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carryhold</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just get an Accuracy International rifle instead </div></div>

Nothing compares to a Mcmillan. Their history is proof enough

Honestly, I wouldn't trade mine in for an AICS or whatever. I love it.

It's fixed using that epoxy putty and is much better than new!

Thanks John troubleshooting with me
wink.gif