• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing MCM A5 or AICS 2.0... trying to decide please Help

11B-B4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Im thinking of an A-5 GAP camo with all the bells and whistles... But im curious on cost.

Out the door it almost looks like the AICS is cheaper when everything is said and done...

AICS 2.0 $1000

From what i have heard you can drop them in and they dont need to be bedded although some people bed them anyway. I had one on a 40xc and it was a shooter and I never bedded it.

MCM A5 gap camo $775 + Bottom metal $250+ plus bedding? Who knows how much $$$

So Im stuck in a quandry, I really think the A5 is gorgeous, much better looking than the AI obviously, and i love the ergonomics with the rounded edges.... however... Its a hard pill to swallow on cost. Maybe im wrong but the A5 needs to be bedded, correct? Id be buying an a5 SA for my rem 700SA.

It seems like the difference in pricing would be the bedding over the AI. But the AI is simple; buy it snap it in And its cheaper....

Your thoughts?

Re: MCM A5 or AICS 2.0... trying to decide please

youre getting into the "budget be damned" zone, so if this is only about price, then you just run the numbers.

have you physically held both? i know that i was dead set on holding a real A5 before i placed my order. but ive always been biased due to never being a fan of thumbhole stocks. still, diddnt jump on the mcmillan train until i had a little muscle memory logged into one.

i still like the AI, its a great piece of engineering. but i can only have one "budget be damned" build right now. the good thing about either is they go pretty quick in the sale forum if you change your mind.

I'm not a thumbhole fan, that being said I've shot several AI's and was very pleased with fit and ergonomics. Personally shoot an A5 Mc. which I couldn't be happier with. Guess what I'm saying is which ever you choose you'll probably be happy. Try and get behind both and see which appeals to you.

Fit and feel is everything. Boots or shoes that look cool but kill your feet don't work, neither do stocks. I've had both stock types, love the AI's, but have gone back to a vertical grip A-5 (Manners T4 actually). They look great AND feel great. Yes, the associated cost to complete with DBM is higher, but look around and you can get those here used for less than new and save money and the end result is what you'll be pleased with for a long time to come.

Not to sound like BOLTRIPPER, but if you filled out your profile someone near you might have both and be willing to meet you at the range to try them out..... Like me if you're in Portland, OR.

Fill out your profile!

Read above again, its important, why because somebody who lives close to you has one of each, you could finger fuck each of them and make your choice alot easier. I have owned both, sold off the AICS ofter 20 rounds, the McM A5 is much more comfortable IMHO, does'nt feel like two cheapass pieces of plastic from China, I perfer the molded in colors McM does, and after the recoil lug gets opened up for a real lug, you still might have to bed it.

dude at the end of the day you are only talking a 100-150$ if you don't get what you want you be kicking yourself a month after you get it and you spend more the second time around.

if you like the A5 you better get that one dont settle.

kt

Don't buy either until you've shot with 'em. The AICS is a "love it or hate it" kind of stock, while most shooters can get into an A5 no matter what. Thing is, if you truly love the AICS you might not be satisfied with anything else. It won't take but a few rounds for you to find out.

If you are close to me I can let you try both. I prefer the AICS 2.0.

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't buy either until you've shot with 'em. The AICS is a "love it or hate it" kind of stock, while most shooters can get into an A5 no matter what. Thing is, if you truly love the AICS you might not be satisfied with anything else. It won't take but a few rounds for you to find out. </div></div>

Can't say better : try both.
I had a HS Precision HTR and wasn't comfortable behind perhaps due to my small hands. I shot now a AICS 2.0 with more consistent results.

I love my two AICS 2.0s and will never part with them.

Although I never did have the chance to try out a McMillan...

It's weird. I've got two AICS stocks and I like them quite a bit... just recently I got a McMillan A4, and I'm thinking I might like it more.

I really think that someone should try both before buying. Even still, using each system for an extended period will be the only way to make the final judgment.

I'm thinking the AICS is way more prone to learning bad habits on. I had to really try and "drag wood" on my A4. Really easy to do on the AICS. For some reason the AICS seems more of a prone stock. I can't ever really get into a good offhand, kneeling or improvised position with it. The A4 seemed to lend itself well to multiple positions. None of them had me craning or contorting my body in order to get a proper cheekweld.

If you are in the area of Broward County Florida You can shoot my AICS 1.5 witha a 700 in it...

Updated my profile.

I guess i have never felt an A5; only an A4. I liked the A4 but I did have an AICS before and thought it worked for me as well. They are both great but like someone said previously; The MCM looks like it would easier lend itself to offhand shooting. Thanks for the insight everyone.

Does anyone have an A5 in the South eastern Wisconsin area?

Keep an eye out for used gear. All together my A4 with CDI bottom metal came in at just under $1k since it was used. What's awesome is that I worked it out so I got some Badger M4 bottom metal and two 5rd AICS mags from the combination of the two deals. All it took was a bit of effort on my part to do the new inlet, fill in the gaps and refinish. It turned out great and I'm now I have even more mags and some amazing bottom metal for another build.

5R_McMillan_A4.jpg

5R_McMillan_A4_InletCDI.jpg

i had a 2.0 i just traded away. i couldnt get comfortable behind it, i prefer my A-5's and my A3-5. the only reason i held onto my 2.0 was the built in mag system. Other than that, it would have been gone along time ago.