• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing McM HTG stocks need bedded, right???

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
My absolutely beautiful McMillan HTG stock in Forest Camo came today and it's amazing.

I was expecting the stock to be more hollowed out inside and just the pillars sticking up, instead the pillars and fiberglass are flush with each other almost like the stock is pre-bedded with itself if that makes any sense.

Here's what I thought it'd look like (taken from the how-to bed sticky)

10zpk6r.jpg

I don't have a camera handy, but if anyone has an HTG they can post a pic of the inside, I got the machined in pillars option.

Edit: Found one.

DSC_0054.jpg

So this would just be a skim-bed right?

Re: McM HTG stocks need bedded, right???

I sometimes order them with pillars installed also, so I think I know what you're talking about. However, a picture of your actual stock would help others give you the best advise.

Depends on what reciever your going to put in the stock. If, by chance you are using a round action, at least in the stock shown, and the radius is the same as the stock was bedded for there is a slight chance that it will be ok. Other than that your chances are not too good. If you were using a flat bottom reciever and the pillars have a radius in them, you did wrong. The idea of bedding is to get the reciever to sit in the reciever with as little stress as possible. The best way to do that is to bolt the reciever into the stock sitting perfectly on the pillars, and the bedding material wet so it will set to hold the reciever evenly on the bedding material while still sitting on the pillars.

The first picture was just an example of how I prep some of the stocks. I've ordered stocks with the pre-installed pillars in them and found them to be too small in diameter for my liking, just from a personal perspective.

I now order the stocks with a 9/16 guard screw hole in them and a recoil lug recess of .250". The pillars that are in your stock will work just fine. Set the receiver up for a good dry fit and bed away. If you have access to a mill, remove the pillars and open the holes up to 9/16 or what ever matches your pillars. You can also remove some of the stock material to allow more room for bedding compound.

The stock was ordered from McMillan for a Remington 700 action and as far as I can tell it fits really well. I still plan to bed, however I just have never seen a professional stock like this in person. I think a skim-bed would be what's required for these stocks, but I'll get some pictures this weekend so you guys can verify.

Looking forward to some pictures.

I ordered McMillan ADJ HTG Stock with built in pillars and I plan to discard synthetic stock from my Remington SPS 700 in 300WM and install this new stock to the rifle and skim bed it.

At the moment my rifle has lightweight sporter barrel, probably standard contour #4. 1 year down the track I plan to install Lilja fluted barrel with standard contour #7. Will I need to redo my beding job and will that cause any issues? According to McMillan's web site this stock can take barrels up to contour #8

If you don't bed past the recoil lug I don't see why you'd need to re-bed if it's just a barrel swap. However, I'm no bedding expert so I'll let other chime in.

Nope, that's true assuming your lug is installed in the same place each time. Might be worth having your lug pinned.

I found an interesting link through McMillan web site, FAQ: http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-faq.php

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">23. What is a barrel contour?
This is the information necessary for us to provide a stock that is inletted for the barrel and action you wish to stock. All of our stocks allow the barrel to float free of any contact with the stock. Usually the clearance between barrel and stock will be from 0.030" to 0.050" depending on barrel contour.

24. What information do you need for the barrel contour?
If it is the barrel that came on the rifle from the factory, we need to know the caliber of the rifle. If it is a custom barrel we need to know the barrel maker, the contour number and the length of the chamber cylinder. This is measured from the front edge of the receiver to the first contour change.
</div></div>

Anyone has any comments? I assume I can advise them to provide stock for #7 contour and my sporter barrel will have 1/2" clearance