• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McM HTG w/saddle cheek rest?

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
I fired my new rifle today, a .223AI in a McMillan HTG. My other rifles both have A5 stocks with thumb wheel adjustable cheek rests and I had a difficult time getting a consistent cheek weld on the HTG using an Eagle stock pack and padding/spacers under it. I don't recall ever seeing one and was wondering if anyone has a HTG with a saddle cheek rest installed by McMillan? I know I can buy one from Karsten, I've had one before and they're great, but that voids the warranty and I don't want to do that if I can avoid it.

Re: McM HTG w/saddle cheek rest?

I have a adjustable Htg stock. I wouldn't say it's a "saddle" but would call it a thumbwheel adjustable cheek rest like you mention above. I think of a saddle as a piece that fits over the normal stock. I'd think you can see them on McMillan's website, but I haven't looked there yet.

Go to the forum "Optics and accessories" for sale. Do an advanced search on the name ShooterM1. Choose his post to see a picture of and adjustable Htg stock.

I've seen the adjustable HTG's but I would have to buy a new stock, you can't add a thumbwheel cheekrest to a rifle after the fact, it must be done when it's molded.

A saddle can be added later but I've never seen one on an HTG. Curious if it can be done or if it has been done I'd like to see it.

Thanks though

Phlyodog....thanks for the info on the cheek weld. I'd spec'd an HTG on my GAP build but changed it to the HTG ADJ for just this reason.

If you can't get a saddle fitted (I think I've read a number of times on the hide this is available as a retrofit from McM?)...maybe try the guys at Cheek n' Stock? Not a real "tacticool" solution but they work. Had one on a Mauser Sporter for a while - easy to fit, stays where you need it, custom heights and sizes available, and easy to remove/replace for cleaning:

http://www.cheeknstock.com/history.html

PS...Phlyo....just seen your other post with the pics of the stick in question. Very nice.....but if you look at the Cheek N' Stock, go for the black one! The brown ones are a tad orange - would'nt suit your stick AT ALL!

Thanks for the help BasraBoy. I'm going to call McMillan and check with them about adding a sadle to an HTG.

Just called and talked to McMillan and a saddle cheek rest on an HTG stock is a no go. Crap
frown.gif

We do not have a saddle cheek piece for the HTG unfortunately. Our saddle cheek pieces for the A-series stocks are just to big. I know Karsten has a saddle cheek piece that customers have used on their HTG's before, appears fairly simple to install.