• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan .50 BMG rifle, accuracy with ball ammo?

Tuukka

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2005
Finland
We are starting our .50 BMG calibre suppressor project. The primary test weapon is a McMillan .50 BMG rifle with the fixed, Big Mac stock.

Ammunition I have on hand right now is the Magtech M33 ball. What type of accuracy can I expect from this combination at 100 / 300 meters?

I can get Lapua and Hornady A-max .50 BMG bullets to reload pretty easily.

Re: McMillan .50 BMG rifle, accuracy with ball ammo?

The M33 Ball projectile is designed specifically to give the M2 a cone of fire. Expect about 3 MOA out of M33 Ball round in your shoulder fired 50.

Out of a Barrett M99 and an Armalite AR-50, it is just barely better than 2MOA.

HOWEVER, I note that you indicated you could get components to reload pretty easy...the Magtech brass is NOT good brass for reloading purposes. I found it to be weak/soft, and it had terrible inconsistency in terms of neck/case wall thickness.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of a Barrett M99 and an Armalite AR-50, it is just barely better than 2MOA.

HOWEVER, I note that you indicated you could get components to reload pretty easy...the Magtech brass is NOT good brass for reloading purposes. I found it to be weak/soft, and it had terrible inconsistency in terms of neck/case wall thickness. </div></div>

I should be able to source atleast some military brass here and also from other European countries. What would be a good brass choice for reloading?

Best brass is IMI (Israeli Military Industries) also seen with headstamps TZ or TZZ.

Next best is probably PMC.

IMI is very difficult to come by.

LC or WCC is readily available and will provide good service, but not match quality. Would need to sort and fully prep brass to get the most out of it.

Sorry, just noticed your location...
French brass is pretty good, but not sure what else you will be able to find.

If you get 2-3 moa consider yourself lucky. If you use surplus pulled projectiles-be sure to run them through a sizing die before loading.

AMAX with 215gr. Hodgdon H50BMG or 220gr.VV 24N41

See if you can contact Raufus of Norway and use a contract purchase for some of their ammunition? It's not cheap but a possible way to go if they will sell to you.

Using Federal M33, my Tac-50 easily gets sub MOA. At a recent 1000yard match, this same ammo shot sub 20" five shot groups.

I appreciate all the assistance on this.

One of our old prototype jet-Z series .50 BMG suppressors was shot yesterday, just to see what the SPL levels would be on that and it was around 138-140 dB (A peak) at the shooters ear.

We will probably use an enlarged version of our S series suppressor with a back over the barrel design for further work on this calibre; the S series is a simpler baffle to put into mass production and the overall added length is minimized.

Take Care!

Tuukka Jokinen
Ase Utra sound suppressors