• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mcmillan A-4

Skeptic1

Heavy Horseman
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2019
Central NC
I'd called today to get a quote on an a4 usmc clone. I'm just about to drop the hammer on it. I cant seem to find one on the used market. Somebody talk me out of it. Why shouldn't I?

Do it. How much was the quote?

Between the wait times and possibility of them discontinuing them, it will always be worth what you paid for it.

I have no connection with this post but if you add up the cost of a clone when you
buy all the parts even if you smith it yourself this isn't totally out of line.

I can dig up the receipt but I believe my stock back a long time ago was around $800
with 2 screw cheek piece, PGW inlet, M5 inlet etc.

Best regards

@Skeptic1 - did you ever do something?

The reason I ask is somewhat probing. We are looking into the feasibility of stocking the stock. Love the words in the gun industry: Pull the Trigger. ha ha. We carry the Badger rings and rail, and we are a Surefire and AAC master dealer, so one of the few places you can find the correct muzzle device. From what we see in terms of the sale of rings and muzzle devices, there is a constant flow of USMC clone rifle builders. We are talking to McMillan now. I had not heard anything about them stopping the A4 stock line-up.

Reactions: jetmd and HOOFER
She's a heavy beast but I love my m40a5 build. If you plan running it off obstacles it rides bags very well.

Do it

Reactions: nn8734
I never did pick up an a-4. I'm still riding an old a-5. I do remember when I called McMillian to ask about the lead times, the lady did say to me that if wanted one I should go ahead and order it because they were considering discontinuing the a-4.

@Skeptic1 - did you ever do something?

The reason I ask is somewhat probing. We are looking into the feasibility of stocking the stock. Love the words in the gun industry: Pull the Trigger. ha ha. We carry the Badger rings and rail, and we are a Surefire and AAC master dealer, so one of the few places you can find the correct muzzle device. From what we see in terms of the sale of rings and muzzle devices, there is a constant flow of USMC clone rifle builders. We are talking to McMillan now. I had not heard anything about them stopping the A4 stock line-up.

Are the correct surefire cans still available?

@longshot2000

If you are willing to invest in having A4 stocks, Schneider barrels, PGW new style EFR which can be made to work and is still available, BO rings and correct lug mount rail, and the correct Surefire muzzle adapter and suppressor (FA762SS) still available last time I talked to them but minimum order was 10 cans!

You could sell all of these easily.

Think of marketing an M40A5 build kit, customers can use their existing 700 sa receiver
have a reputable smith complete the assembly.

JMHO

Reactions: HOOFER
Unless things have changed in the past 90 days, when I called Surefire and spoke to them on the
phone they said they would make a run if they had an order for 10 cans with deposit.
Id call again to be sure as I spoke a SF rep about two months ago and was told they decommed all the machines used to make the legacy OTB cans. My SOT in Texas, who used to get them in all the time up to a year ago or so, also said they’re done making them.

For the record, i hope you’re right.

• Sad
Reactions: jetmd and HOOFER
Mine came in a couple of weeks ago and it was $1068 shipped and was 5mo out. I didn’t go full USMC spec.

7BB06724-6D10-4D43-8A7F-437B406CE903.jpeg

She's a heavy beast but I love my m40a5 build. If you plan running it off obstacles it rides bags very well.

Do it
Same…I’ll never sell mine, it will be tossed into the casket with me.

@Skeptic1 - Do you have the SF FA762SS can and muzzle brake?

If not and you cannot source a can you may consider building a transitional M40A3. Basically an A5 without the muzzle brake and suppressor; has the same target crown as a regulator A3. Otherwise everything else parts-wise is the same