• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan A-6 opinions

XLR308

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2018
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Need opinions on the A-6 pattern stock.
    I love the A-5 pattern but the A-6 just looks more streamlined and better suited to riding in both a front and rear bag and seems a bit more trimmed down.
    Is the difference worth the switch or just aesthetics and trivial ?

Having owned and competed with both....

The rear support is a wash but the rear on the A6 is more comfortable because you can fine tune it to your face/body.

The A5 has more heft and settled until bags better but was a bit tippy with how top heavy it can be. The A6 settled on a bag just fine but not as "solid" as the A5, however the lower bore height made it ride the bag very well. I'd give the edge to the A6 here but not astronomically.

The A6 is a really fun gun to own but for the price of A6 chassis alone you can get a cadex chassis and the same function as the A6. It still won't be an A6 though if a clone is what you really want ultimately.

All that said I still own my A5 and sold my A6.

Feel free to ask anything specific

Reactions: XLR308
    Having owned and competed with both....

The rear support is a wash but the rear on the A6 is more comfortable because you can fine tune it to your face/body.

The A5 has more heft and settled until bags better but was a bit tippy with how top heavy it can be. The A6 settled on a bag just fine but not as "solid" as the A5, however the lower bore height made it ride the bag very well. I'd give the edge to the A6 here but not astronomically.

The A6 is a really fun gun to own but for the price of A6 chassis alone you can get a cadex chassis and the same function as the A6. It still won't be an A6 though if a clone is what you really want ultimately.

All that said I still own my A5 and sold my A6.

Feel free to ask anything specific
    Not going to be a clone, I don't really get into the clone thing since I never carried one in the military but understand the appeal.
    Most likely will be one of my Kelbly actions or an Origin so I could use one of the Savage small shank barrels I have taking up space.
    I appreciate the reply and detailed information on the two.