• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan A3-5 Build possibly.

.Scarecrow.

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2011
West Michigan, United States
I like this stock and want to base a rifle around it. I am getting it in .338 Lapua of course
smile.gif
I looked at some Stiller and Surgeon actions. Are those good brands for actions and what type of barrel would I get for them? A few other details, I am trying a little bit to capture the personality of AI and SAKO rifles, mainly the Bolt Handle and Muzzle Brake. Please give me some suggestions on actions, barrels, and Muzzle Breaks for a rifle like this.

Thanks guys

Re: McMillan A3-5 Build possibly.

Then get a badger action with an AI stock. It'll look like an AI...

You can't go wrong with a Surgeon XL or Stiller TAC338 action. If you are planning on shooting 250 gr pills, go with a standard 10 twist. If you are planning on running 300 gr SMK's or Bergers, go with a 9.3 twist. Go with a Bartlein barrel (5R or 6 groove).

I and a few friends have excellent luck with 300 gr Bergers with Vit N570 powder.

For a break, being biased a little, go with Surefire. There are many effective breaks on the market, but Surefire have been really generous at supporting and sponsoring many shooting matches around the country. It would be great to support those that support the shooting community. Plus they work great.

If you are at the infant stage of gathering up all your components, dies, reamers, barrels, action, etc., you might want to do a little research on the 338 Norma or 300 Norma. Look at the "Beyond 1000 yards" link on this forum and see what others are saying about these two cartridges.

Call Marc http://www.spartanrifles.com/ to build it for you. He may have an XL action in stock or may be able to get you one at a good price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Animal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Marc http://www.spartanrifles.com/ to build it for you. He may have an XL action in stock or may be able to get you one at a good price. </div></div>

Agreed, Call Marc

If you want it to look like an AI get the badger M2008 action, a heavy palma contour barrel with badger FTE break, and a AI stock. I would flute that barrel too.

I Love the Mcmillan A3-5 stock. I would go with the Stiller 338TAC. A barrel that finishes at .925 or bigger at muzzle.

whats your max range? if its below 1000 a lapua is gunna be overkill and a waste of expensive bullets. whats your current largest caliber?

I would like to basically have a 1 mile gun, that would make me happy. Anything beyond that would be a bonus. Is the .338 Lapua consistently capable of that in the hands of a good shooter? I don't wanna get hung up on all the .338's out there.

Im sure the 338 lapua could do it. There's a lot of factors that go into shooting to a mile, just make sure your bullet is super sonic past 1760 yds. At a local range they do 1000 yd comps not a mile but the lapuas clean house.

The 338-TAC is the action That Stiller makes. I would absolutely go 338 Lapua Mag.