• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan A3 sporter vs. Gamescout?

knockemdown

suburban redneck
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2007
Gents,
Application is for a Model Seven hunting rig in .22-243, presently bedded in a factory laminated stock. This rifle is proving to be a real shooter, so I'd like to upgrade the stock to something with a more vertical grip...
Narrowed choices down to the A3 Sporter and GameScout from McMillan, so I'd like to here from any of you guys who've been behind either one? Right now, I'm leaning toward the A3 Sporter, due to the slightly higher comb and wider for-end grip to handle. Barrel inlet is a Krieger #3 medium sporter contour...
Thoughts & opinions appreciated!

Re: McMillan A3 sporter vs. Gamescout?

I went through the same decision this past summer. If you like the wider front end, then go with the A3 Sporter. I prefer the slightly narrower front end for a walking around kinda gun, so went with the Game Scout. Comb height isn't 'perfect' for me on either one - Triad stock pack to the rescue.
I like it so much I have another one on the way that should be here in a week or so - then I'll have a matched set - one in .308 and one in .223

Im going thru the same thing..... A3, gamescout, or manners mcs-t. Leaning towards the manners. anyone with opinions? will be used as a hunting rifle mostly with some long range targeting on the side. I've never shot a vertical grip but it seems like it would be comfy from prone or bench.

I went with the A3 Sporter and am very happy. Will post pics in a bit. It is fairly light, comfortable and really pleasing to look at!

The manners stock is very nice - I got to look one over closely when I was in KCMO last time 'round. Not quite as vertical a grip as the Game Scout or A3 Sporter, but a great grippie feel to the stock and it feels quite 'lively' where the A3 Sporter and Game Scout don't feel as 'fast' on the shoulder. I like the feel of the McMillan stocks for prone or using a rest in the field, but off hand and standing the Manners MCS-T would get the nod. Much more of my shooting is prone/over the back of a sno go than walking through the woods - so my choice was pretty easy. Besides, McMillan does the McMarble
smile.gif

Your millage may vary - do try to get a feel for them yourself before you buy if possible.

I think Kelson pretty much summed up my feelings on the subject. I will add that I am a HUGE fan of McMillan stocks, so I think you're on the right track. The A3 is by far my favorite 'tactical' stock they make, and as you can imagine, both the sporter model & the gamescout look like real good options. Personally, I prefer the forearm on the gamescout, but I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you like that wider forearm, rock that sporter!

Maybe this will sway you ...

700 Enhanced (engraved) in 270 WSM - McMillan A3 Sporter in McWoody pattern.

DSCN0916.jpg

DSCN0915.jpg

DSCN0914.jpg

DSCN0913.jpg

DSCN0912.jpg

The rifle is easy to shoot off hand as well as prone or on the hood of a truck. It is light enough to carry and is similar enough to my precision rifles that it feels really comfortable on my hands. I hunt from a blind most of the time but I would have no problem carrying this rig all day. I considered the same options you are and am happy I went this way ... that said, they would all work just fine IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crotalus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im going thru the same thing..... A3, gamescout, or manners mcs-t. Leaning towards the manners. anyone with opinions? will be used as a hunting rifle mostly with some long range targeting on the side. I've never shot a vertical grip but it seems like it would be comfy from prone or bench. </div></div>

I like the Manners T (have 3) and loved an A1-3 McM I had as well. Great for offhand or prone. The grip is not as vertical as the A3 or Gamescout but that is what works for me....

Try and shoot both vertical grip (A3) and standard (Manners T type) at same time and then decide....

Thanks for the input, fellas.
I've had a few A-5s, so I'm very familiar and fond of that Micky vert grip. I do like the broad forend of the A3 sporter, but that GameScout just might ride a set of shooting stix better on coyote stands. Will be kicking this around a bit more...

One thing I will add... For me, there is nothing that can compete with the McMillan vertical grip for prone shooting... For all other positional shooting, I prefer the HTG/MCS-T.

My favorite stocks for general purpose, do it all kind of shooting, are the A1-3 and the MCS-T. I own both.

Now I did like the idea of the gamescout and ordered one. Came in a week or so ago, along with another A1-3.
I dropped multiple action/scope combos into that gamescout and came up short on the comb every time. I do like the vert grip and the slender fore end.
All of my rigs have Seekins rail and rings, scopes are 50-56mm objectives. A stockpack strapped on does "fix" the issue but I don't like to compensate for poor fit if I don't need to.
I think the GS is more suited for a sporter weight rifle using traditionally lower mounts and sleeker scopes.
I really wanted to like that stock but it did not fit my set-up.

Here it is with my LTR/Hensholt set-up:

IMG_0600.jpg

Also considered the A3 sporter cause the comb mirrors that of the A1-3 that fits me like a glove, but that fore end is too wide for my taste.

My wish list in a Micky would be: A1-3 butt, A3 grip and HTG fore end.

I hear what you're saying Hutch, but damn that rifle sure looks The Sex! Too bad...

While the rifle above did get a different sef of clothes, I ordered another A1-3 in the flame pattern for a 243. Should see it in February.