• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan A4 v A5?

XTR

F-TR junkie
Minuteman
  • Sep 4, 2010
    Lebanon, NH
    www.onlinehumidor.com
    Over the last decade or so of competitive shooting I've learned a few things that make a rifle work better for me, things like 15" LOP on my target rifles, and having the pistol grip shaped deeper into the back of the butstock to let my hand rest more naturally, and a longer reach to the trigger.
    I recently read that the A4 has a longer reach to the trigger than the A5, this is one of the things I've done in my custom wood stocks because I have XXL hands with long fingers, so it sounds like the A4 might be a better fit for me than the A5 (even though I personally think it may be the ugliest stock McM makes).

I have a couple of A5s that I've accumulated over the yrs. So for those of you who have used both, is the reach to the trigger on the A4 really much longer than the A5?

Are you defining “reach to the trigger” in terms of the distance from the grip to the trigger? If so they appear to be the same to me...they also don’t “feel” any different when behind each of them.

just happens to see this post when working with these two...
    38C43AD6-B7BB-4A14-85C1-4AB819E2AFF0.jpeg

I’ve had both, I don’t know if the reach is any longer, but I’m pretty sure the A4 grip is fatter, which changes the feel of it and probably the reach somewhat I guess..

A4 has a very slightly thicker and longer grip with a wider thumb shelf. I don't see a difference in length to trigger but like Lionsbreath said the fatter grip might give you a touch longer length to trigger.

Thanks for the picture.

I don't think it's worth buying and changing stocks over. It's one of those things that I didn't think much about before I got into competitive shooting and started putting it all together. I'm 6'4 and wear 37" shirt sleeves. I could probably use a 15½ LOP in my F class rifles, but at 15" the scopes are are far back on the rail as you can get them.

I've always had to curl my finger to get it back to the trigger until I got custom stocks.

A4 has a very slightly thicker and longer grip with a wider thumb shelf. I don't see a difference in length to trigger but like Lionsbreath said the fatter grip might give you a touch longer length to trigger.

@XTR you’re welcome...Drum13 and Lionsbreath are right about the thickness difference in the grip but it’s too small to be material...just measured the grips half way up and the A5 measured 1.845” and the A4 measured 1.901” for a .056” diff.