• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan A4 VS A5

BECKS7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Guys I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search and didnt come up with anything that I was looking for.

I was hoping to get this from someone who has both a A4 and a A5.

I am trying to pic one for myself, I have handled both but not together, and I am just trying to get a idea for how the two front ends compare to each other as far as the grip goes.

I have a 5R thats stock, I like the stock on it but I cant get a check weld to save my life, witch I just solved with a check pad, but the LOP on it is way to short for me. The front end on it is pretty nice, fits my hand well, witch is why I want to know if its the same on a A5.

I really like the A4, but I dont remember what the front end was like on it.

If anyone has any front pics of the A4 or A5 that would be awesome, or even the two fronts side by side.

Thanks guys

Re: McMillan A4 VS A5

Here is a picture of one of the rifles I used in the Marine Corps with the a4
MarineCorps133.jpg

Here is one of my a5
photo-23.jpg

I prefer the a5, the a4 seems excessivley bulky to me.

If you like the front of your 5R then the A5 would be the way to go. The A4 is much more bulky and square. Get a KMW adjustable cheek piece and LOP spacer system installed at the factory to fix your problems and call it a day. You will be very happy with your purchase. It's pretty hard to beat an A5.

I have an A5 for me its easier to grab onto the forearm of the stock over the A4. But either stock is great.

I prefer the A4. I like the grip, butthook, and the forearm better than that of the A5. The best advice is to get behind both and find out for yourself. Thats the only way to know for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bsp212</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A4 has a bigger thumb shelf too - that's what sold me on it. </div></div>

I forgot to mention that, but you are right on the money!

I swapped out my AICS 1.5 because of it's overly square front end in favour of the rounded and dimpled A5 but have always had a keen eye for the A4 stock. Never seen one in Aust so it'd be a pioneering purchase which doesn't help so much.

When you're shooting your A4's, do you run your thumb up on the thumb shelf or wrap it over the top?
With the A5 I tend to run mine up high but there's not alot to rest it on.

I have owned both the A4 and A5, and I prefer the grip on the a4, but liked the for-end of the A5. If I had to ONE it would be the A4. Hands down.

Wow, you guys are hitting it on the head. Bigger palm swell and thumb shelf are what I like best about the A4. When I got an A5 for my badger, I was surprised that part was different. Visually from pictures it's hard to see any difference in the grip area. I think the palm swell on the A4 flares out more towards the bottom than the A5. It's not really bumped out.

I was also really surprised that the bottom of the stock's butthook is completely flat on the A5.

I don't have any range time on the A5 though, so I can't really say if any of these things seriously detract from it.

Becks, in my opinion the only way to go is the A4, I had been behind both several times before my purchase, and now I own a A4. Call up Mike and see what he says, the man knows his stuff!!!
Regards,
-Felipe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, you guys are hitting it on the head. Bigger palm swell and thumb shelf are what I like best about the A4. When I got an A5 for my badger, I was surprised that part was different. Visually from pictures it's hard to see any difference in the grip area. I think the palm swell on the A4 flares out more towards the bottom than the A5. It's not really bumped out.

I was also really surprised that the bottom of the stock's butthook is completely flat on the A5.

I don't have any range time on the A5 though, so I can't really say if any of these things seriously detract from it. </div></div>SAL, you couldn't get me a couple pics of the two stocks together would ya? Like one from the front and one above the two? Just so I can how they look together can compare.

I have both. Looks wise the A5 wins. But I think the feel of the A4 wins. I would suggest adjustable cheek on them. I like the sleeve like on the M40A3. In reality you wont be upset with either. They both have there good points and bad. It comes down to what is available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, you guys are hitting it on the head. Bigger palm swell and thumb shelf are what I like best about the A4. When I got an A5 for my badger, I was surprised that part was different. Visually from pictures it's hard to see any difference in the grip area. I think the palm swell on the A4 flares out more towards the bottom than the A5. It's not really bumped out.

I don't have any range time on the A5 though, so I can't really say if any of these things seriously detract from it. </div></div>SAL, you couldn't get me a couple pics of the two stocks together would ya? Like one from the front and one above the two? Just so I can how they look together can compare. </div></div>

I guess I could, but really the differences seem hard to see in photos.

Here's some I already have.
A5
M2008_A5_260.jpg

M2008_A5_inlet_issue_1.jpg

M2008_A5_inlet_issue_2.jpg

A4
5R_McMillan_A4.jpg

5R_McMillan_A4_InletCDI.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search and didnt come up with anything that I was looking for.

I was hoping to get this from someone who has both a A4 and a A5.

I am trying to pic one for myself, I have handled both but not together, and I am just trying to get a idea for how the two front ends compare to each other as far as the grip goes.

I have a 5R thats stock, I like the stock on it but I cant get a check weld to save my life, witch I just solved with a check pad, but the LOP on it is way to short for me. The front end on it is pretty nice, fits my hand well, witch is why I want to know if its the same on a A5.

I really like the A4, but I dont remember what the front end was like on it.

If anyone has any front pics of the A4 or A5 that would be awesome, or even the two fronts side by side.

Thanks guys </div></div>

A-4
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1234004&page=1

A-5
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=433049

Really, you have to TRY both. Photo's aren't going to tell you anything that we haven't already discussed. In the end that's why I bought both. Heck, since I haven't had any really trigger time on the A5, I really don't have much of an opinion on it.

I have a few of both and I personally like the A-5 better, but thats why they make Vanilla and Chocolate Ice Cream
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vc8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a picture of one of the rifles I used in the Marine Corps with the a4
MarineCorps133.jpg

Here is one of my a5
photo-23.jpg

I prefer the a5, the a4 seems excessivley bulky to me. </div></div>

What kind of scope is that on that USMC rifle? Ive seen them on tv but never could find out anything about them online.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trey Warren</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vc8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a picture of one of the rifles I used in the Marine Corps with the a4
MarineCorps133.jpg

Here is one of my a5
photo-23.jpg

I prefer the a5, the a4 seems excessivley bulky to me. </div></div>

What kind of scope is that on that USMC rifle? Ive seen them on tv but never could find out anything about them online. </div></div>

PVS-10

The A4 tends to be slightly more top-heavy. The barrel channel sits lower in the A5.

I own both but I prefer the slightly larger grip and the butt of the A4 over the A5. The wider forend of the A5 is nice but I tend to have my hand on the grip more than I do on the forend so my choice goes to the A4. That's why my A4s out number my one A5.

As mentioned by others, the grip is about 3/8" longer and has a slightly larger palm swell than that of the A5 so it may be a bit more comfortable for larger shooters or those with larger hands.