• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan A5 ARCA rail retrofit

LukeNCMX

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2013
Rohnert Park, California
I have a McMillan molded camo A5 stock that I'd like to add a full length ARCA R-lock rail to.

The stock bottom is not flat all the way to bottom metal. Is that going to be a problem with the rail not being fully supported?

The stock currently has a small picatinny rail at the end for a bipod and a QD flush cup on the bottom. I am thinking these can be removed without issue?

tempImageY2yB8f.jpg

I am looking at having a smith inlet and bed either a Henderson RSR M-lock rail or a McMillan Anschutz rail or should I just hard mount an ARCA rail? What would be preferable? I am leaning towards a bedded rail so I can make changes going forward.

Finally what ARCA rail should I be looking at? I was thinking the RRS one but it looks like they don't recommend it for applications were the rail is not fully supported by the forend. I'd really like one with the R-lock functionality.

Thanks

I have a McMillan molded camo A5 stock that I'd like to add a full length ARCA R-lock rail to.

The stock bottom is not flat all the way to bottom metal. Is that going to be a problem with the rail not being fully supported?

The stock currently has a small picatinny rail at the end for a bipod and a QD flush cup on the bottom. I am thinking these can be removed without issue?

View attachment 8133638

I am looking at having a smith inlet and bed either a Henderson RSR M-lock rail or a McMillan Anschutz rail or should I just hard mount an ARCA rail? What would be preferable? I am leaning towards a bedded rail so I can make changes going forward.

Finally what ARCA rail should I be looking at? I was thinking the RRS one but it looks like they don't recommend it for applications were the rail is not fully supported by the forend. I'd really like one with the R-lock functionality.

Thanks
I just mounted a Henderson Precision 10" on my A5....It turned out pretty good. 1/4" for screw hole....3/4" for the nuts and the spacers. Forstner bits.

Reactions: LukeNCMX
Do you guys think it is worth the trouble to inlet and mount a Henderson RSR M-LOK rail/McMillan Anschutz rail or is direct mounting with t-nuts the better way?

It looks like a 12" rail would be the ideal length to go from front action screw all the way to the tip of the forend. I'd like to use an R-lock compatible rail since my bipod and anvil tripod head support it but I'm not seeing anything on the market in a 12" size.

Has anyone tried a Foundation ARCA rail on an A5 with an Anschutz rail?

I hope this isn't to late....you can't go wrong with the Henderson. The Henderson has elongated slots..so two of them against the recoil side and one on the 'load' side (the middle one for a a bipod). I can post pics if you need.

Easy deal here.

Get the 12 universal rail from 419 (or any other, I use their clamps and like their stuff)

Remove pic rail from front and use 1 or both of those T nuts and your front action screw to secure the rail.
Make a little spacer to go between your dbm and the rail since the A5 isnt flat.
Delrin works. Aluminum works. Steel works.

Then, using the holes in the rail as your guide, drill another hole in the stock and then chase with a forstner bit a little ways in the barrel channel and epoxy in another T nut.

Take you a couple hours and 2 cold beers.

The Area419 ARCA rails are easy to install. They also have a spacer to put in at the front action screw if you plan to use it as an attachment point and if not then you can reach the action screw through the hole. If you need you can just put in a couple of T nuts when you take off that forend pad. Here's a video.

I went to my local gunsmith to install an arca rail on my A6-PRS stock. You can also contact McMillan and they can do it.

I wasnt sure they came with a spacer now or not.

Perfect.
Thanks Rob
Yeah the last 2 I bought to install had them. If not it’s just a larger washer. On one though I didn’t install it and just loosened the front action screw through the hole. Kind of nice as the screw can’t fall out. Lol