• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship McMillan A5 stock with butt hook

Klemm

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
Can someone explain to me the proper use of how to use the butt hook on the McMillan A 5 with a tab rear bag. Some photos would be nice. Basically , I am curious, are people using the hook to anchor the stock to the shoulder in the prone position?Not using it? are you using the web of the firing hand (between the thumb and the trigger finger) To pull the stocking to shoulder. Let me know thanks

I use it as a wedge. As you sink down into position it helps push it into thre shoulder. Very solid when used this way. I don't squeeze to adjust height, ill let off cheek pressure, move the beads/bag and resettle.

Pics aren't an A5 but work with anything that has a notch or similar. This method is one reason i don't like non notched stocks. I end up putting a sling swivel on the back of those to give a point to wedge into.

20200406_081445.jpg

20200406_081452.jpg

Are you using a rear bag?

I have shot a lot of rounds on an M40 A5 which uses the A4 stock. I'd use a small bag and generally would hold the bag in my palm and hook the meat between my thumb and index finder in the hook. This would allow for small adjustments from squeezing the bag but I would still have a firm grip on the gun using the hook. The picture above seems like a great way to use the hook as well.

In general, I think it's really best suited to whatever gives you the best results. But you should absolutely be utilizing the hook if at all possible.

I use it as a wedge. As you sink down into position it helps push it into thre shoulder. Very solid when used this way. I don't squeeze to adjust height, ill let off cheek pressure, move the beads/bag and resettle.

Pics aren't an A5 but work with anything that has a notch or similar. This method is one reason i don't like non notched stocks. I end up putting a sling swivel on the back of those to give a point to wedge into.

View attachment 7291738
View attachment 7291736

I really like the KRG W3! It’s very versatile!

I am a beginner at shooting with a bag with no ears and shooting off from a Harris bipod, so I have been reading all I can find on technique. I have read much of what Frank has written and now have his book too. But, to answer your question directly I’ll post a couple photos.
Good luck,
Richard
E182DC8C-CFF3-4CD0-B2E0-26E05D64E0DA.jpeg
8DFC8013-1FBF-4F2D-BE18-967DB9BC6CDB.jpeg

Reactions: C.R. Adams