• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan barrel channel

poke5353

Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Central Arkansas
I am needing to open up the barrel channel on my HTG. It is currently #4 Brux heavy sporter and I need to open it up to the rem varmint contour. Can you guy give me some suggestions on how to open this up myself. I called McMillan and they charge $51 plus return shipping.

Thanks

Re: McMillan barrel channel

I would have a gunsmith do it on a mill with the appropriate ball end. This way it will be straight and true and will not chip or flake if done at the right rpm's. Remember to coat the barrel channel in a tough enamel to keep water out of the fiberglass.

I would send it to McMillan. I have seen several they have done and they are first class. And, you will know that it will be done correctly.
smile.gif

Regards,
Paul

Another vote for sending it in. If you really want to DIY, think deep-wall socket wrapped in sandpaper. Just remember you're working with a very expensive stock.

I'm actually considering sending it to GAP with the barreled action in which I need work done anyways.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poke53</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm actually considering sending it to GAP with the barreled action in which I need work done anyways. </div></div>

+1. might as well have them do it all at once