• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Mcmillan Butt Pad install tutorial?

eddybo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
MS
I have done one, was not all that pleased with it, but it was passable. I would love to see someone else's method, or just hear some tips.

I drilled into the back of the stock and epoxied in some pieces of dowel rod to accept the screws for pad. Then I taped around the stock and sanded it close with my sander. Is there a more precise method.

Re: Mcmillan Butt Pad install tutorial?

The ones I've done have all been set with Devcon 10110. I wouldn’t trust screws, dowel rods, pillars etc. The reason is in the butt of the stock, there’s just foam/fiberglass. The only reinforcement I've seen is for the sling swivel studs.

Prep the rear of the stock for the pad. I like to cut it off square with a chop saw after careful measuring for an even cut all around. Take into account the pad thickness when measuring for LOP. I like to wrap masking tape around the stock and use the edge as a final cut line. After making your initial cut use a pedestal style belt sander or place the stock in a padded vice and use a standard belt sander to even it up a bit. When I'm happy with the dry fit & LOP I mix the Devcon 10110 and apply it to the pad and stock. When I have the pad in a position I'm happy with I use masking tape to hold the pad down and in place. The next day is when I grind to fit using the tape as a gauge and stopping place. You can do the final fine tuning with a small file. 600 grit helps to hide any marks that may get on the stock (fiberglass) if you sand too close. Be careful and go slow when you get close.

Loose the screws unless you’re dealing with wood.

Re: Mcmillan Butt Pad install tutorial?

I knew you would have the answer. I am not too worried about the dowels pulling out. They are long enough to reach hard stuff and that is what they are epoxied to, but I am going to pull it and glue it anyway.