• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mcmillan Edge

Northland

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
Louisiana
Ok I know nothing at all about what goes into the making of an "Edge" stock, I just know that they are lighter.

Well I want an A1-3 for my rifle and Mcmillan has some on their specials page right now. A guy and I were talking and he said that you can't put a embedded front rail on and edge stock due to whatever reason. It didnt sound right but then again I don't know.

So my question is can I put an EFR in a Mcmillan edge stock?

Re: Mcmillan Edge

The Edge stocks are carbon fiber shell and lw filling,

there is nothing to secure the EFR that you wish to mount to really,

should one wish for a EFR in a Edge stock, then McM better install it,

well that is the official version, I guess that with some cunning work and the installation of pillars/bedding it could be done,

however I bet that Mcm will not warrant the stock should it break.

/Chris

Probably not.

I don't know about an EFR specifically, but I learned the following when I ordered my A-3 Edge;

1) no adjustable LOP option
2) no adjustable comb option
3) no mold-in finish options
4) cross-drilling for a Karsten cheek-piece will void the warranty

I guess the carbon-fiber shell is just too light for these things.

From speaking with McMillan I’m thinking you can put an EFR, only it will defeat the purpose of buying an Edge- so they don’t do it.

I say this because they explained to me that anywhere a flush cup or stud is installed they use a heavier fill and epoxy to reinforce that area. So the more options, the heavier the stock becomes, which eventually will make using and paying for 'lightweight' technology redundant.

I could be wrong though, this is just my thinking based on conversations I’ve had when buying Edge stocks.

Sure the EDGE stocks weigh nothing, but if you pick up a standard fill A3 with the same options, neither does it. Standard fill McM stocks don't weigh shit.

EDGE stocks aren't something I'd suggest for "tactical" rifles. Only special purpose hunting rifles. Some guys at McM seem to feel the same way.

From talking to Mcmillan, the impression I got was that you *can* do more to them then they suggest. You might get the rail on there, but if you want that type of rifle then the EDGE stock isnt for you. Get a standard stock.

Thanks for all the answers guys. I was just asking about the edge because they have them in stock ready to ship. Guess I'll just have to order one and wait

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure the EDGE stocks weigh nothing, but if you pick up a standard fill A3 with the same options, neither does it. Standard fill McM stocks don't weigh shit. </div></div>

One of the helpful ladies at McMillan said there is generally only .5# difference between Edge and Standard fill for most of the Tactical line. That's not a lot for 90$, but contrarily, oz = lbs....

As Keith said, to truly see the benefits of the Edge you have to go with the more specialized hunter stocks.