• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

McMillan G30 .338 Lapua OR Sako TRG42 .338 lapua

SURREYDIESEL

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2014
Hello everyone. Ive been surfing these forums for quite some time and have found alot of helpful posts. This is my first time posting and I would appreciate your opinions. Im about to purchase a .338 lapua rifle. What are your thoughts between the McMillan G30 .338 Lapua OR Sako TRG42 .338 lapua.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Hide
We are just busting balls, either will be a great choice Hell I wish I had a 338 that nice. If I did it over again I would want the 1:9.5 twist for the heavier bullets at longer distance. I dont know what twist either of the stated rifles offer.

Both are good choices. I have two McMillan's with G30 actions and they are beautifully made. Are you thinking of buying complete rifles and if so what McMillan model?

For the money you would spend on the Mcmillan, you would get more out of an AI, especially the new AXMC.
I love the G30 action but that is a lot of coin for basically the Mcmillan name. The DTA SRSa1 would also be on that list.
The Mcmillan may make a better long range Hunting rig but the AI and DTA are much more versatile.

The TAC 338 is an awesome rifle and I have shot both it and the TAC 50. I have three McMillan's and they are great shooters. Yes they are expensive but IMHO well worth the money. I have a STAR in 6.5 CM, TAC 300 and an Outdoorsman in 300 WM. You won't have any regrets.

For the money you would spend on the Mcmillan, you would get more out of an AI, especially the new AXMC.
I love the G30 action but that is a lot of coin for basically the Mcmillan name. The DTA SRSa1 would also be on that list.
The Mcmillan may make a better long range Hunting rig but the AI and DTA are much more versatile.

THX. I like both of your suggestions

The TAC 338 is an awesome rifle and I have shot both it and the TAC 50. I have three McMillan's and they are great shooters. Yes they are expensive but IMHO well worth the money. I have a STAR in 6.5 CM, TAC 300 and an Outdoorsman in 300 WM. You won't have any regrets.

Thx for the input. Have you ever shot the TAC416? im looking at purchasing that down the road.

To echo what Lowlight has expressed. The DTA HTI excels in the extreme range/ hard target interdiction calibers. You could easily swap between the .375, .408, .50 BMW and I believe the .416 all with the same platform for less than the price of the TAC rifles.
That being said, if one rifle and that one caliber is exactly what you want, then the McMillan is an excellent rifle

No one defending the 42's good name? I have no experience with the McMillan so I can only address the TRG. First, find someone locally that will let you get behind a TRG to see if you like the ergonomics. Most seem to like the fit but if you don't, disregard what follows.

I really like the ergo.s and the TRG is the easiest rifle to shoot well I've ever had. Most owners describe them as a half inch gun. The Sako bi-pod is expensive but worth the money. The trigger is fantastic. For $900.00 you can get a butt-stock, that is a bolt-on adjustable folder, from KRG. The TRG is about two thirds the price of the McMillan.

If you have never had a .338, I would look to SH Firearms For Sale. If you are patient, you will find low round count .338LMs that often have brass, dies, etc. at significant savings.

Last edited:
To echo what Lowlight has expressed. The DTA HTI excels in the extreme range/ hard target interdiction calibers. You could easily swap between the .375, .408, .50 BMW and I believe the .416 all with the same platform for less than the price of the TAC rifles.
That being said, if one rifle and that one caliber is exactly what you want, then the McMillan is an excellent rifle

I love the look of the desert tech rifles. I think they are a great deal. ive been thinking of the interchangeable caliber rifles alot. I just want the best rifle in whatever caliber i choose.

No one defending the 42's good name? I have no experience with the McMillan so I can only address the TRG. First, find someone locally that will let you get behind a TRG to see if you like the ergonomics. Most seem to like the fit but if you don't, disregard what follows.

I really like the ergo.s and the TRG is the easiest rifle to shoot well I've ever had. Most owners describe them as a half inch gun. The Sako bi-pod is expensive but worth the money. The trigger is fantastic. For $900.00 you can get a butt-stock, that is a bolt-on adjustable folder, from KRG. The TRG is about two thirds the price of the McMillan.

If you have never had a .338, I would look to SH Firearms For Sale. If you are patient, you will find low round count .338LMs that often have brass, dies, etc. at significant savings.

Ive shot the 42 plenty in .338 , love it! My buddy has the sako bipod also.

Ive seen the folder from KRG. How is it compared to sakos?

Sh firearms doesnt seem to have a website

I love the look of the desert tech rifles. I think they are a great deal. ive been thinking of the interchangeable caliber rifles alot. I just want the best rifle in whatever caliber i choose.

If you are set on the one caliber (338) then the Mcmillan is still a great option. You could change the trigger to your preference as well as have it built with whatever Mcmillan stock you prefer. The barreled action will also drop into most of the the Rem clone chassis and stocks that are available.
The TRG is about half the the price. Even the the folder is still cheaper than the TAC338
It's all up top you. All of these rifles mentioned will perform equally as far as accuracy. What's left is personal preference as far as ergonomics and such.
I would love to get my hands on the new AIs but being stuck with the AI chassis is the roadblock for me. I just haven't found myself comfortable with it. The same could be said for the DTA and many have said it.
The TRG and to an even greater extent the Mcmillan give you some options to tailor the gun to YOU

If you are set on the one caliber (338) then the Mcmillan is still a great option. You could change the trigger to your preference as well as have it built with whatever Mcmillan stock you prefer. The barreled action will also drop into most of the the Rem clone chassis and stocks that are available.
The TRG is about half the the price. Even the the folder is still cheaper than the TAC338
It's all up top you. All of these rifles mentioned will perform equally as far as accuracy. What's left is personal preference as far as ergonomics and such.
I would love to get my hands on the new AIs but being stuck with the AI chassis is the roadblock for me. I just haven't found myself comfortable with it. The same could be said for the DTA and many have said it.
The TRG and to an even greater extent the Mcmillan give you some options to tailor the gun to YOU

Thanks for the input.