• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

McMillan G30 .338 Lapua OR Sako TRG42 .338 lapua

SURREYDIESEL

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2014
Hello everyone. Ive been surfing these forums for quite some time and have found alot of helpful posts. This is my first time posting and I would appreciate your opinions. Im about to purchase a .338 lapua rifle. What are your thoughts between the McMillan G30 .338 Lapua OR Sako TRG42 .338 lapua.

Sako has somewhat better ergonomics and trigger at least to me and I love their safety. Plus people report amazing barrel life on them . True hardened military rifle. MCMillan probably going to be a bit more accurate but I have not shot it - so I'm speculating.
I have 9 338LMs and TRG seems to be in the middle of pack in terms of accuracy but it's solid 0.5MOA gun. Seem to prefer 250 gr ammo. Keep in mind what magazines/accessories are pretty expensive.

But if I have to keep just one of mine 338 LMs it be TRG or Blaser. Probably Blaser because of multi-barrel. I also have a DTA with custom barrel by SAC and it's laser and a pleasure to use - but in case of SHTF - TRG or Blaser

I've had my TRG42 for 5+ years now and love it. I shoot Hornady 285gr Pills down it and get .4" groups @ 100m from bench rest.

The trigger is awesome, fully adjustable. As stated replacement parts are expensive.

I put a rear mono pod on the stock and Terj's check piece, and the stock now allows me to shoot all day.

I have worn out the front bipod though, which is dissapointing. Too much forward pressure and the steel indent on the leg deformed. A dremel fixed this.

The TRG42 is my 2nd favourite rig, my TRG22 is my favorite (.2" group @ 100m using Hornady 168gr A-Max).

Both have Schmidt & Bender 5-25PMiis.

In summary, you won't be dissapointed with the TRG.