• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan Game warden -Anyone have them

SWWI Shooter

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2018
So I'm thinking of getting a McMillan Game Warden but have several questions/ concerns.
1) Does it need an cheek riser or is the comb high enough for a scope with a 50mm objective lens? I know this is subjective but just looking for opinions.
2) Is the palm swell good sized compared to other stocks?
3) I have pretty big hands and I'm concerned that my little finger will hang off of the grip as it doesn't look that long . Any issues with that?
4) Lastly, is there anyone in SW Wisconsin with one that I could handle- don't need to shoot it, just see how it fits.

Here are some photos of a LR hunting rig I helped spec out for a coworker (Backwater Custom Rifles is the gunsmith). We ordered a bare carbon (edge fill) Game Warden with the adj. cheek and an Anschutz rail. The adj. cheek piece is absolutely necessary to get a proper cheek weld. I believe we mounted a 56mm Swaro, and it definitely need to come up a bit for a good sight picture off the bench. I'm 6'1 with big hands and I have plenty of room in the grip. The palm swell is noticeable, but not overly big.

The edge fill balances well with a Proof cf barrel, and the front rail helps balance the weight of the hardware in the rear.

I hope this helps in your decision. The game warden is a fantastic stock for a LR hunting rig.

IMG_9091.jpg
IMG_9092.jpg
IMG_9093.jpg
IMG_9094.jpg

I found it. The scope is a Z6 5-30x50, and you can see where the cheekpiece is set

IMG_9095.jpg

I’ve got one that’s at Crescent Customs with Moon right now. I use an NXS 3.5-15x50 F1 on that rifle and did get the adjustable comb. I’m really glad I did because you definitely need to crank it up a ways for proper cheek weld and sight picture. I’m actually having Moon shorten the pic rail to the front of the action so I can use lower rings. I wanted to reduce how much I had to lift the comb and I couldn’t lower the optic anymore due to clearance issues with the front of the rail and the bell of the scope. I was having to raise the comb quite a ways. I do find the stock comfortable. Just my .02.

I found it. The scope is a Z6 5-30x50, and you can see where the cheekpiece is set

View attachment 7183417
Thanks much for the info and pictures. I'm a bit confused though. When I talked to Josh at McMillan yesterday, he said that you couldn't get an adjustable cheek riser with edge fill as "it wouldn't support it". Wonder if they used to do it and they quit or I just miss understood.

I'm a fan of the Game Warden and Game Scout. I'm a cheap bastard and use a Triad stock pack instead of paying for the adjustable stocks . I had a C.F. edge fill A3 that was my favorite stock for hunting, you might take a look at those too .

I'm a fan of the Game Warden and Game Scout. I'm a cheap bastard and use a Triad stock pack instead of paying for the adjustable stocks . I had a C.F. edge fill A3 that was my favorite stock for hunting, you might take a look at those too .
I like the looks of the A3 but I don't think they offer it for a Tikka. They have the A3 Sporter but it doesn't look like they will fit CTR barrel profile.

Thanks much for the info and pictures. I'm a bit confused though. When I talked to Josh at McMillan yesterday, he said that you couldn't get an adjustable cheek riser with edge fill as "it wouldn't support it". Wonder if they used to do it and they quit or I just miss understood.

Let me clarify. This was not a true edge fill. When you place an order you also tell them the caliber. McMillan has what they call an edge magnum blend which will not be as light as a full edge fill. This rifle was a 28 Nosler, and required the modified fill...which I guess can support the adj. hardware.

I like the looks of the A3 but I don't think they offer it for a Tikka. They have the A3 Sporter but it doesn't look like they will fit CTR barrel profile.

My A3 was on a Tikka 7 SAUM with a Hardy C.F. barrel , very light sanding of the barrel channel and it dropped right in . The stock was on the shelf at McMillan at the time.

FWIW, not specific to the game warden. But AG composites is supposedly making a tikka inlet on their alpine hunter stock, which is a clone of a manners eh1. Got a build going in one. Manners used to do an eh1 for tikka but no longer does.

Iv got an adjustable game scout on order for a t3 lite with edge fill, don’t know why they wouldn’t do a game warden in edge and adjustable hardware. I’m guessing they just put heavier fill where needed.

Last edited:
Let me clarify. This was not a true edge fill. When you place an order you also tell them the caliber. McMillan has what they call an edge magnum blend which will not be as light as a full edge fill. This rifle was a 28 Nosler, and required the modified fill...which I guess can support the adj. hardware.
Ok, that makes sense....too many options make it confusing but does make sense :)

View attachment 7183417
That’s an awesome set up! What length arcs tail is on you rifle? What length is your barrel? And with the adjust cheek riser Al can you angle it to create a negative comb? Sorry I am in the process of possibly buying this same stock. Thanks!

That’s an awesome set up! What length arcs tail is on you rifle? What length is your barrel? And with the adjust cheek riser Al can you angle it to create a negative comb? Sorry I am in the process of possibly buying this same stock. Thanks