• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan guys help me out

jayph

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
I can't for the life of me decide A-4 or A-2? I have a A-5 alreay and it's ok but the grip doesn't fit my hand perfect and I would like to try something else. I like the but hook on the A-5 so I was leaning towards the A-4 but I keep going back to the A-2.

This will be going on a .338 Edge that will be shot from all positions bench, prone, sitting, ect. I have made my mind up on going with McMillan I just can't pick which one of these two.

If anyone who has one or both would like to chime in I would apreciate it.
Thanks.

Re: McMillan guys help me out

Get the best of everything (IMO the A2 became obsolete with the A3) get the A3-5.A3 forend and the A5 butt hook I'm not a huge fan of the wide forend on the A5.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the best of everything (IMO the A2 became obsolete with the A3) get the A3-5.A3 forend and the A5 butt hook I'm not a huge fan of the wide forend on the A5. </div></div>

That one is nice but Iam 6'6" with big hands and prefer the larger forends. But if I was building a hunting rifle I would be really looking at the A3-5. Thanks for your post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the best of everything (IMO the A2 became obsolete with the A3) get the A3-5.A3 forend and the A5 butt hook I'm not a huge fan of the wide forend on the A5. </div></div>

Shooting positional, I'd much rather have an A3 fore-end than an A4. The A4 is just too big and blocky to me. Like holding a brick (in shape, if not weight). If you like the butthook, then A3-5 certainly sounds like a prime candidate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jayph</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the best of everything (IMO the A2 became obsolete with the A3) get the A3-5.A3 forend and the A5 butt hook I'm not a huge fan of the wide forend on the A5. </div></div>

That one is nice but Iam 6'6" with big hands and prefer the larger forends. But if I was building a hunting rifle I would be really looking at the A3-5. Thanks for your post.</div></div>

Ok, well you typed that while I was working on my response. If you've got giant ass Boyette/Bear hands then maybe the A4 is for you. Was the A5 forearm too SMALL for you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The A4 is just too big and blocky to me.</div></div>

I have a strong dislike for the A4, but not because of it's blockiness. It's because the apex of the bipod legs (harris) is well below the bore center line. It creates a top heavy feel. Move that apex closer to the center line and it creates a much more stable platform.

Look at Terry's new stock .... he was clearly thinking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jayph</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't for the life of me decide A-4 or A-2? I have a A-5 alreay and it's ok but the grip doesn't fit my hand perfect and I would like to try something else. I like the but hook on the A-5 so I was leaning towards the A-4 but I keep going back to the A-2.

<span style="font-weight: bold">This will be going on a .338 Edge that will be shot from all positions bench, prone, sitting, ect.</span> I have made my mind up on going with McMillan I just can't pick which one of these two.

If anyone who has one or both would like to chime in I would apreciate it.
Thanks. </div></div>

We built an .338 Edge on a McMillan A3 with a Hart Williams Port Taper Barrel. In my opinion, the A3 forearm wasn’t wide enough for the barrel but, it shot good non the less. It would have been better with a lighter barrel. I have an A2 and A5's on my rifles and prefer the A5. The A2 seems a little top heavy and may try to tip with a heavier rifle. The McHale stock is a good one as is the Remington Varmint. For but hooks, I think you'll be limited to the "A" Series McMillan Stocks. Take a look at the A3-5 with either a Light Varmint or Heavy Palma Contour Barrel. To me, all the "A" series stocks feel the same in the grip area.

I went through a couple of stocks on my 5R until I settled on an A4 on suggestion of hide member 7mmRM. I couldn't be happier with the stock as it fits me and my shooting hand perfectly. YMMV.

I have the A5 and I don't think I'd want it any other way. I thought about getting the A3-5, but in hindsight, I think the A5 is better all around.

I like the A4 alot, was also looking into the baker as another consideration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the A5 is better all around. </div></div>

Were on the same page.

I can see how a guy would want different stocks on different rifles, but not me. I'm puttin an A5 on every one I own. That way every rifle feels the same.

If you have to get something different cuz you already use an A5, get the A4. It's a 338, use a big stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Ok, well you typed that while I was working on my response. If you've got giant ass Boyette/Bear hands then maybe the A4 is for you. Was the A5 forearm too SMALL for you? </div></div>

Not too small just could use some more palm swell

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The A4 is just too big and blocky to me.</div></div>

I have a strong dislike for the A4, but not because of it's blockiness. It's because the apex of the bipod legs (harris) is well below the bore center line. It creates a top heavy feel. Move that apex closer to the center line and it creates a much more stable platform.

Look at Terry's new stock .... he was clearly thinking. </div></div>

I plan on using the versa pod stud out the forend so that would be a little better than the harris underneith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the A5 and I don't think I'd want it any other way. I thought about getting the A3-5, but in hindsight, I think the A5 is better all around. </div></div>

Why do you see it that way?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
We built an .338 Edge on a McMillan A3 with a Hart Williams Port Taper Barrel. In my opinion, the A3 forearm wasn’t wide enough for the barrel but, it shot good non the less. It would have been better with a lighter barrel. I have an A2 and A5's on my rifles and prefer the A5. The A2 seems a little top heavy and may try to tip with a heavier rifle. The McHale stock is a good one as is the Remington Varmint. For but hooks, I think you'll be limited to the "A" Series McMillan Stocks. Take a look at the A3-5 with either a Light Varmint or Heavy Palma Contour Barrel. To me, all the "A" series stocks feel the same in the grip area. </div></div>

It is a Heavy Palma and all you guys are really twisting my arm on the A3-5

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can see how a guy would want different stocks on different rifles, but not me. I'm puttin an A5 on every one I own. That way every rifle feels the same.

If you have to get something different cuz you already use an A5, get the A4. It's a 338, use a big stock. </div></div>

The A-5 doesn't fit me perfect so I was hoping by trying something different I might find one that does

if your wanting a versa pod bipod stud installed in the tip of your stock, the A3-5 will not work because it has an A3 forend so there isn't enough "meat" at the tip of the stock to install a stud there.

The A2 has a slightly smaller pistol grip than the A4 and A5.