• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan HTG or HTG adjustable?

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I am building a 700 in .30-06. I will use it about 50% hunting and 50% on the 1000 yard line. (I mainly shoot my .308 at 1K)

I am using a scope with a 42mm objective. Is the HTG going to work for this rifle or is there a reason I would need the HTG? (On a side note, my .308 is an A5 without a cheekpiece and it works well. But I haven't ever had a rifle I can adjust, so I may not know what I am missing)

Re: McMillan HTG or HTG adjustable?

I do not like any cheekpiece that adjust other than the Terry Cross. All the others I have had have come loose. As for the m40a1 I have a uso n mine 44mm and I need a stock pack. I would take a good look at the manners mcs-t3 I think is what it is it is alot higher comb and a better feeling stock all around to me.

Ever look at the Manners MCS-T?
Its almost the same as MCM HTG but with a higher comb...... I like it for a hunting stock.

+1 on the Manners, HTG feels great but for me the comb is to low so I, like Will, use a pack. I would keep it simple and go with the standard CP. A1-3 is nice but its a good bit larger stock and doesn't swing or carry as well as the HTG for me as a hunting stock. It doesn't have the slim front end like the HTG which is one of the things about the stock I really like. Wish they would keep the front and add a rear like the Manners.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ever look at the Manners MCS-T?
Its almost the same as MCM HTG but with a higher comb...... I like it for a hunting stock. </div></div>

+1

I decided on the MCS-T and McMillan Varmint stocks on my recent hunting rifle builds because of the high comb on each. I ran a McMillan adjustable saddle cheek piece on an A3 and loved it when shooting at the range. Didn't like it when hunting because I like to be able to take out my bolt without having to re-set the cheek piece to the same spot.

HTG/ADJ all the way. Kind of a do everything stock.....
ieme14.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: criver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HTG/ADJ all the way. Kind of a do everything stock.....
ieme14.jpg

</div></div>

This is the conclusion I reached too based on a lot of opinions that the HTG is a little low. I've gone for the ADJ HTG on my new GAP build that's due any time soon. Seems like a perfect compromise between a full tactical and hunting type stock

I wanted the option to adjust having had other rifles without an ajustable cheekpiece where I ended up looking for aftermarket solutions (like the Cheek n Stock pad) to raising the comb....most of which weren' that great.

I've got an adjustable cheekpiece on my AI AW and I've never had any problem with it coming loose.