• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Mcmillan HTG stock bedding

45user

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2005
Norwalk, CA 90650
I am planning to switch the stock on my PSS to Mcmillan HTG stock soon. Does this stock need to be bedded to get the most out? or can i just use it out of the box?
Thanks for your help.

Re: Mcmillan HTG stock bedding

You can shoot it without bedding as long as the barrel is free floating in the stock.If you want the same repeated accuracy like your Hs stock then pillar and marine tex bed it.

I would too but you can use it unbedded in the mean time.

Thanks for the info.
If I use it unbedded and later decide to bed the stock would that change the scope zero?
Thanks again,

What fill is the stock? Are the action screw holes cut for 9/16 pillars" If it's standard fill I would bed it. I have seen more then one McMillan stock crush. If the holes are opened up for pillars then you will need to bed it right from the get go.

If you're spending the funds for the stock spend a little more and get it bedded.

Thanks Randy.
I hope you are not too busy soon
laugh.gif

I'd pillar bed the stock and be through with it. The stock will compress with normal guard screw torque over time.