• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan M-86 Barrel re-placement

Re: McMillan M-86 Barrel re-placement

Pretty fair bet if yours is very old, it is pre Schneider. I don't think Gary was cranked up when some of those were run. I may be wrong but Gale McMillan was making barrels at one point around then and they were also putting some Harris or other on for a short while. If it was an 80's era gun, might have a McMillan barrel made by Gale.

Call Ryan McMillan with your SN and description. If he can't give you the details, he could hook you up with one of the older guys around there that would know. Dick Davis may be really tough to catch but I think he could tell you for sure also.

They are straight up easy to rebarrel so you shouldn't have any worries either way.

Good luck

I may be misinformed (no shocker)
grin.gif
but Gary had told me that he was involved w/ the tooling w/ the Poly barrels. The name Weiseman barrels keeps popping in my head for some reason though!

Alpha-8,

Those barrels were made by McMillan in-house. Standard was a polygon 12 twist, 26", .850 x 26"

Hope this helps.

If you want correct info I suggest contacting Dick Davis; he has been at McMillan since the beginning! Almost!
grin.gif

OK I have a deal for you I have the barrel you are looking for. I had it pulled from my M98 by Kirby Allen my SN# is 386 that should put it in the 80's. It is 24" 850" at the muzzle. Kirby has the barrel now but I should have it back in a month or two I think. its chambered in 308win and the best part it I dont even have 100 rounds down it

Sounds like you have a deal...My ser # is SSO282, if that says anything to you...
If I may ask..why did you pull the barrel? My rifle really shoots fine..or did...
thanks

Alpha-8,

For some reason, I was under the impression you asking about the M-86 in the .300WM caliber in which the standard was (.850 x 26"). The .308's came in the heavy straight taper (.850 x 24") or the Light Navy taper (.750 x 24"). Of course, a few M-86's had been special ordered and were different from the normal offerings.

Konabully;
I should have mentioned the cal from the start..you are correct, mine, a .308 is a heavy straight taper (.850 x 24"). I also had one in 300win...but that got changed for a 338LM. It also was a great shooter..although big and heavy..

Actually, no. They were all 1-12 twist. The 190gr A191 load was the hot ticket in those days. The Teams were using the 1-12" twist with the A191 load with great success and that's how the Navy contract .300WM rifles were made.

Alpha-8,

Unless you already have a trade deal worked out, I'd recommend contacting Gary Schneider to make a replacement barrel for you. He should also be able to answer your M-86 barrel questions in further detail.

Schneider Rifle Barrels
1403 Red Baron
Payson, AZ 85541
Phone: (928) 474-2852