• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing McMillan Question

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
I have a McMillan stock that is inletted for the MTU contour. The forend of the stock is thinned out to the point that the barrel will make contact with the forend when you lightly slap the stock. (It is not a slam on the stock, I just put too much barrel on the action.).

Would it be a good idea to full-length bed the barrel, or just leave it alone? As of now, the accuracy is good, but not stellar.

David

Re: McMillan Question

I would sand out the stock where there is contact.

the obvious question is - what stock are you trying to put it in? Maybe you have a stock/barrel contour mis-match. Not the inlet itself, but the external dimensions of the stock. None of the A-series should have this issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the obvious question is - what stock are you trying to put it in? Maybe you have a stock/barrel contour mis-match. Not the inlet itself, but the external dimensions of the stock. None of the A-series should have this issue. </div></div>

This is where the solution will be found.

There is 0.835" of stock at the front of my A5 with an MTU barrel channel. I would guess that a sporter-style stock would have significantly less.

How much bedding is there in front of the recoil lug?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the obvious question is - what stock are you trying to put it in? Maybe you have a stock/barrel contour mis-match. Not the inlet itself, but the external dimensions of the stock. None of the A-series should have this issue. </div></div>

Sorry, it is a Sako Varminter and an MTU contour barrel.

You won't hurt anything by sanding it out if you have enough material to do so. Would you be able to post a couple of pics? That would really help out.

Ryan,

Thank for the response. My camera and computer are not working together, but I may be able to get something up tomorrow.

David

I would sand out more But if your like me I pefer a really stiff stock cut two line in the stock under the barrel then glue in two carbon fiber tubes or alum if you dont care about the weight much.