• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan stock differences?

Johnson184

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2008
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I was originally under the impression that each new model was superior to all the older ones... but I keep seeing a bunch of people favoring other McMillan models. What are the pros/cons of them all?

If it matters...
I'm 5'10", have medium sized hands... and plan on mostly shooting at distances from 100 to 500 yards. I plan on shooting from the bench and prone positions for the most part.

Re: McMillan stock differences?

Different strokes for different folks.

I like the A3-5 since I like the butt hook and the narrower forend, some guys like the wide forend of the straight A5, some like the straight A3 with the sloped rear for adjusting the height on the bags pushing or pulling the rifle over the bags.

Fill out your profile and tell us where you are, there might be a member willing to let you shoot one or two different styles.

Re: McMillan stock differences?

For me it was between the A3-5 and the A5. I went with the A5 because I never intended to shoot from any position but prone, and so the wide foreend is useful if I ever shoot off of bags instead of my bipod.

The butt hook was important to me, so I considered only the three models that offer it.

Mostly it is a personal preference thing, though.