• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing McMillan stock from FN SPR

LG65CM

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2017
Hello all, I've got a McMillan A3 stock that carried an FN SPR in 308 which was bedded. This stock per McMillan also works for Winchesters Model 70 short action stocks made since 1984. Does anyone know how much trouble it would be for me to have a gunsmith fit the stock to a Win Mod 70 SA? Is it a big deal or a simple thing? Possible or Impossible?

Winchester made many variants of the "short" action over the last 50 years. The FN years in particular.

Do you have bottom metal? Start with checking the screw spacing of the bottom metal, stock, and action. If everything lines up, you have a fit.

As far as bedding a different action than originally bedded in the stock, the old bedding (or at least a portion of it, at least .125" of thickness) needs to be removed, then bedding your action can take place. This is a pretty straightforward operation. Depending on the pedigree of the smith, this could run you $125 to $500.

Personally I'd just do it myself (and have many times, including an FN-WIN).

Reactions: LG65CM
Hi NineHotel, and thanx for replying. Yes, aware of variants of the Win Mod 70 as I am an old guy and a fan. If I got it straight, in 1984 Win started to actually make a SA. Before they used some kind of spacer or did something to their long action to make it handle the SA carts. I do have the FN bottom metal . I know it will line up with Win SA actions from another member here and believe those made starting in year 1984 and running well into the 90s if not beyond.

The rest of what you wrote is all great news. That it is not a big deal to fit this to the Win. What I have got is the whole rifle, FN SPR barelled action/McMillan stock. But am thinking of having my nephew make a stock for it using wood. And rebarelling it. And if so, sell the Mc Millan. And was checking by posting here about whether a Win SA action owner would be a candidate to buy the stock, should I sell it. So, all in all, good news. Appreciate your response and sharing knowledge on this. lg

Yea whomever buys the stock will want the bottom metal to go with it, as some of the FN variants were proprietary to those rifles and stocks. If you are just fitting a different FN in it of the same original configuration, I'd use marking fluid on the bedding, wiggle the action around, look for high spots, and do some touch-up removal and bedding adds to get a perfect fit.