• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Mcmillan stock question

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I just bought a new Mcmillan f-class stock from brunos. the stock will need a recoil pad and a clear coat finish. I need to know how to prep the surface for a clear coat and also if it is ok to cut the stock of square for recoil pad installation. I dont know if i cut the stock if the gel coat will chip? Thanks lee.

Re: Mcmillan stock question

Call McMillan and ask for Dick Davis or somebody else in production. They'll set you straight in just a minute or two. If the rifle has the molded-in color, I would not clear coat. I would instead, per McMillan recommendation, use automotive paste wax and make it nice and shiny and slick.
smile.gif

Re: Mcmillan stock question

If you cut the stock for the recoil pad it will more than likely chip there. You can buy a patch kit from us or send it in and we can patch it for you for a nominal charge ($21.50).

Yes you want to cut the stock off square. We can install a pad for you and re-patch the stock at the butt for $66.00 and return shipping.