• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mcmillan Stocks - Molded Colors

Edsel

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2013
"The colors on the right are used to create molded-in swirled marble and camo finishes. Solid molded in colored stocks are not available from McMillan."

Curious about the last statement - no solid colors (except for Olive, it seems).

I would've liked a flat, light tan...

Anybody know why solid colors aren't possible?

Reactions: Pusher591
Maybe its because molded solid colors are ugly. Reason being is that it’s more of a field finish, with some irregularities in both the color and the actual surface itself, such as little bubbles. Adding color camo’s that a bit. That’s my feeling on it anyway.

If you want a solid color, Mcmillan’s epoxy paint is very high quality, and is a no cost option. I’d do that over a solid molded any day. I have a varmint rifle that has that paint on it, it’s 20 years old, and looks absolutely perfect.

Reactions: Edsel
"The colors on the right are used to create molded-in swirled marble and camo finishes. Solid molded in colored stocks are not available from McMillan."

Curious about the last statement - no solid colors (except for Olive, it seems).

I would've liked a flat, light tan...

Anybody know why solid colors aren't possible?

I’ve spoke with McMillan about this years ago and the response I got was that the molding doesn't lend well to aesthetics because the imperfections that show through. The marbled colors are able to blend more and they don’t show up nearly as much.

The only molded in solid color I know of is stock specific to the A4 Marine Corp stock and I think they offered it for the DARPA XM-3 stock but not sure if they do anymore.

A4-MOLDED-IN-OLIVE-1.jpg

This one?

It's the only solid color molded in...

I have a BDL hunting stock that is molded in olive like the above stock. When I ordered it, they offered to make me one in that color or black. I would ask them before giving up.