• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan TAC-50 A1 R2 vs. CheyTac .408 M300 Intervention

hundling

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2013
McMillan TAC-50 A1 R2 vs. CheyTac .408 M300 Intervention

Which one would you prefer and why?

Neither. The TAC-50 is one of the better .50BMG boltguns out there, but the R2 would probably make it difficult for me not to flinch. It looks like it's got "mega scope eye" written all over it. And there's no good reason to chose a .408CT over a .375CT these days if you're a civie shooter banging steel and paper. On top of that, I'm not sure if the newly reconstituted Cheytac is actually putting out rifles yet - there are so many other routes you could go. But if you're really into Call of Duty and games like that, I would chose the TAC-50 because it's a big, heavy, bad ass rifle and sitting in your chair there you don't have to sweat and pant as you hump it up a mountain. On second thought, maybe I'd go witht he M300 Intervention because it's got some residual cool factor and we all know how looking good while playing online games is a top priority.

I'm not playing any game. I was just curious.
So which one is your favorite (of all Boltaction)?

The reason why i ask this is because i watched a view vids on youtube, like "the logest sniper shot" (McMillan Tac-50) and a "ultimate weapons" (CheyTac M200).
I just thought they might be the one of the best BA rifles, because the McMillan is very precise and battle proofed and the CheyTac is a "hi tech" rifle.

I'm VERY new to sniping rifles so I have no idea which one are, nowadays, the "best".

So that's the reason why I wanted to ask some pros! What is your favorite of all Rifles?[/B]

Last edited:
"Best" is a highly subjective term - what's best for one use is rarely best for another. .50BMG bolt guns are fun to shoot and can be made very accurate, but it's a seriously big round that requires a seriously big rifle. That's fine for the guy who only has to lug the rifle from the truck to the shooting platform, but for soldiers it's a pain to hump and jump a fifty, so it's got to have some important advantage to the mission at hand. For .50BMG, that's often the payload capability you get from Mk211, which will do far more damage to hard targets at distance than just about anything else out there. Then there's the M82/107 that even soccer moms know about, which in reality shouldn't be classified as a precision rifle as it has accuracy more akin to a battle rifle. That said, for the solider overwatching a checkpoint and facing a VBIED threat, it's a nearly perfect weapon system.

For shooting paper and steel as far as accurately possible, the current king of the hill is .375 Cheytac, a necked down version of the .408Cheytac that stays supersonic out to 2800 yards. Most .375CT rifles are made by the custom shops on any number of actions and stocks to the shooter's specs. DTA is one of the only companies making factory .375 rifles (though the new Cheytac may be actually putting out rifles as well).

But if you're new to precision rifles, you shouldn't be looking at either of these big bore rifles and more at a basic short action .308WIN or 6.5 variant.

you should probably lurk a bit more and read up on the stickies, they are very informative.