• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillian A-5?

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
Who here is running A-5 stock?How do you all like it? Pros and cons. Pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I like mine quite a bit, I would suggest the adjustable check rest.

I also run an aics and I will say I like the mcmillan alittle bit more. Just feels better to me.

I have an A-5 on order with my rifle at GAP. They asked if I wanted the adjustable cheek piece instead of the standard for additional money. I opted for the standard A-5 as I prefer a solid stock look and have a Triad Tactical stock pack that I plan on using which raises the stock as is. So, its personal preference IMO. The adjustable stocks seem to be more popular in general, but it comes down to what YOU like.

They're very comfortable stocks, I've run two of them but if I was going to order another tomorrow I would go with KMW Loggerhead hardware for the adjustable cheek piece instead of anything McMillan offers. The McMillan hardware seems to either loosen up inside the stock over time, strip out, or loosen while shooting so you have to constantly tighten them. It's one of the reasons I put spacers under the saddle so that it can't slide down while I'm shooting. I like their LOP spacer system though and they have pretty good CS.

I like my A5 as well. everything I was looking for in a "tactical" stock, and very comfortable for me. I do agree that the MCM adjustable cheek hardware is lacking though. I went saddle cheek piece due to the complaints about the integral piece, but the thumb screws still come loose after a good string of fire. To be fair it is a .300 wm, but for the price that's not a very good excuse. If I could do it again I would get the thumb wheel adjustable version or the KMW.

2014-05-29145821.jpg

I had an A5 with the thumb wheel version of the adjustable cheek piece, it still had the same problem of coming loose and dropping during firing. If I were getting another one I would order it with the KMW cheek hardware.

I have two A5's and a recently acquired AI stock. So far I like the a5 much better. One of my stocks has the saddle style cheek rest which would loosen after a string of fire. I took a dremel and cut slits in the thumbscrews to be able to tighten with a key or coin. Isn't the prettiest but no more loosening up. I'm partial to the A5, but try to handle as many stocks as possible. Everybody is built different, what fits me might not fit you.

KJ

I love the A5. I've had several.

My favorite cheekpiece is actually the saddle type with 1 thumbscrew....the style that tightens a clamp on the cheekpiece, rather than acting like a setscrew as the 2-thumbscrew style does. While the 2 screw style always works loose, the 1-screw clamp type never does.

I also have one with adjustable cheek with KMW hardware, but prefer my saddle type, believe it or not.

I have two A5s, one of which has a thumbwheel cheekpiece.

Had a Manners T2 and a A5, found a deal on another A5 so I sold the T2 to standardize. Liked both type stocks quite a bit and hook vs. tapered butt wasn't a huge factor for me.

I do think the A5 has a slightly smaller palm swell than the T2, but both felt good.

I have some McM A-5 adj, one with the thumbwheel, one with the integral, 4 with the KMW hardware (also have Manners T4A with the KMW).

IMO, the KMW is the way to go, but you'll need to specify when ordering your stock from McMillan that the cheekrest needs to be a KMW inlet, and hardware delete. And then send your stock when you get it to KMW for the cheekrest hardware installation.

Or, I think you can order the Manners T4A which feels very similar to the A-5, with the KMW cheekrest hardware already installed.

IMO, unless there is some specific reason you want the McMillan, the Manners is a very good stock, and you can get the Manners with an integral bedding block, plus the adj cheekrest.

If you are having your build done by one of the 'smiths used by several of the Hide members (GAP, SAC, Jon Beanland, etc.), they could suggest the best way to get what you want.

Last edited:
I have spent time behind an AICS and McM A-3 and currently own an A-5. I like the A-5 over the AICS but liked the A-3 the best for the slimmer and lighter fore end, it was easier to shoot offhand than the A-5. Definitely get it pillar bedded if you go the McM route.

I have and A5 on a TAC 300 and an A3 on a 6.5 CM and like them both. The A5 has the standard McM adjustable cheek piece while the A3 has the thumbwheel model. Frankly I haven't had any issues with either with many rounds through both rifles. With the thumbwheel cheekpiece I tighten the thumb screws with a hex wrench and they haven't loosed under repeated use. Of the two I prefer the A3 but the A5 may be better for longer heavier profile barrels. Having a 338 Lapua built with a 26" Heavy Palma contour and will be using an A5.

I have an A-5 on my 16" .223 build and I love the ergonomics of the stock. Works great for all positions and for larger hands. I have the saddle style cheek piece and the finish on it is fading. The adjustment screws do work loose over time which is an annoyance for me. I would concur with the above that KMW is the option to go with. They are incredibly strong stocks, built well, have great QD cups if you want them. Definitely not afraid of buying another with the aforementioned KMW

I love my A5a that is on my Surgeon. I leave the cheek piece all the way down with a Weibad pad on it so I never have any problems with it coming loose and moving. Mine has the sniper fill so it is pretty heavy but is very stable and balances well with the 26" medium palma barrel + Brake. I'm going with a standard fill for my new Deviant to save some weight since I am going with a heavier profile barrel and a heavier scope and I can't wait to get it.