• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillian BMG 50

Bluechipx

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2021
W. Michigan
I first bought a Barrett 50bmg m82a1 and it wasn't quite up to the target rifle standards I was used to. So I bought a McMillian 50 BMG and played with it with over the counter ammo with so-so results. Keep in mind I a new in the BMG world but I feel I might have just got lucky with some of my choices. I somehow found Thunder AMMO in Kansas and tried some of their suggestions. I have a 15-55 Nightforce competion scope on it now and with both the solid brass and Amax bullets, I just put two rounds of each one in the same hole at two hundred yds. I suppose in the BMG world two hundred yds is probably a joke but it is difficult to tell that two bullets went in each hole because each type of bullet made a hole that is exactly like one bullet went through it. I choose a day that was absolutely calm to do the testing. I have a room at the back of my shop with a table and a removable panel to stick the barrel through to do my 100 and 200 yd. shooting. In another post I'll tell about a funny story about what happened to three rookie shooters that tried my 50 BMG in my shooting room.

Hi,

Well actually you do not want 2 different types of ammunition (In your case a mono and an Amax) going into same hole since they are different projectile weights and different muzzle velocities.

Sincerely,
Theis

I might have given the wrong impression on my shooting method. I shot two shots with Amax bullets and they went in the same hole but 1/2" lower than the two brass mono's that also went in the same hole. Incidently the two groups were in different locations on the paper target. After I shot two different bullet types, two of each in different locations, there were two holes in the target. I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: MK20
You're not dense, I made a similar reply to a guy awhile back that showed a picture of a five shot group he 'claimed' he shot with a less than competition caliber and rifle. Most skeptical people were polite and made comments like "I can't shoot that good with my 6mm ppc railgun". I replied that "I'm not a professional photographer but next time you show a group on a target, zoom out so we can see the other four holes"! So I see you make a valid point. The targets I use at 200 yds are 14" x 16" and the rifle is a custom built target rifle. I'll post a couple of pictures tomorrow of the target and the rifle. The rifle was sighted in for 100 yds and the brass mono dropped a shade less than 2" and the Amax dropped 2 1/2" If you blow the picture up, you can see the Amax holes aren't quite as tight as the solid brass on the left of the target. I'll admit I probably got a little lucky but I can always connect each shot at 200 yds in calm wind.

Here is the rifle (BMG 50) and the target. For the two shots in the center of the target, (the rifle was sighted in for 100 yds) I sighted on the center crosshairs and the bullets dropped 2 1/2" (Amax). For the second two shots I aimed at the intersection of the two points and the brass mono bullets dropped just under 2". The scope is now adjusted so it should be right on with the mono's at 200 yds. BTW, it was the wifes idea to blot out her recognizability for whatever reason.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 96
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 95
  • target.jpg
    target.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 99
  • bullet.jpg
    bullet.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 94
At the back of my shop I've got a 10 ft by 10 ft small addition for shooting. There is a removable panel about 10 " x 20" that comes off for access. A rather large steel table sits in front of the opening. I had three guys over that had never shot a fifty before. For the first guy I stuck the barrel out of the opening with the muzzle brake around 4-5 inches out side of the building. We all wore good quality ear protection. He fired and was amazed at the powerful blast shown by an ear to ear smile. The next guy took his turn and it was the same thing. I guess I didn't notice with each shot the rifle was moving back on the table about four inches. The third guy carefully aimed and pulled the trigger. There was a huge compression on our entire body, several items were knocked off shelves and hit the floor and dust was shook off everything in a cloud. After a few seconds of stunned silence, the shooter asked if the rifle blew up because his shot was ten times the intensity of the previous two. I looked down the barrel for a large split or some other horror. After a few seconds I noticed the last few holes in the muzzle brake were now just inside the small room. The difference of having a little of the brake inside the room was dramatic. Here's where there will probably be a difference of opinion, but now when I let a 'newbie' fire the fifty, I carefully position the rifle so the rear portion of the brake is slightly inside the room. The effect is dramaticly different, probably five to ten times the intensity of having the entire brake outside of the wall. When using my method the initial response goes something like this; OMG!, Jesus Christ! or a loudly spoke "F" word!