• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing McMillian stock texture

SSW7

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2007
I needed to sand some of my painted McMillian stock for a repair and have left the stock smooth where I was working.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the best method/product I need to use to match the texture that the painted stocks have, it maybe called a non-slip pebble finish?

The texture on painted stocks is normally done with paint. Turning down the air pressure on your paint gun and turn up the paint flow until you get the desired size of paint drops to form your texture. I have found that it can be hard to "match" texture on a stock. It may be easier and look better to sand down the whole stock and re-texture the whole thing.

You can use devcon or marine text as well. Use a brush or Popsicle stick to raise the texture. May be easier to match it with this method.

The texture on painted stocks is normally done with paint. Turning down the air pressure on your paint gun and turn up the paint flow until you get the desired size of paint drops to form your texture. I have found that it can be hard to "match" texture on a stock. It may be easier and look better to sand down the whole stock and re-texture the whole thing.
^^This. Matching the texture is the difficult part. Spraying texture is easy.

You can use devcon or marine text as well. Use a brush or Popsicle stick to raise the texture. May be easier to match it with this method.

^^^^^^ Most common and easiest way I've seen it done. Marine Tex and a sea sponge too. ;) Get creative. lol

Thanks for the replies.

I had a feeling it was sprayed on by using the desired paint color. I'll have a play around with my sprayer and see if I can come close. If not, I'll just re-paint it, I don't think you'll notice it too much.

Agreed, for the actual raised grip areas, you can't beat Marine Tex/Devcon.