• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing McRee 700 LA Mag problems

Six Feet Under

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2010
Midwest Ohio
All,
I have a remington 700 LA .300 win mag I'm running in a McRee folder (G5 Tmag).. I am having problems with getting the bolt to close- it's hitting the mag. I have ran 2 different mags in the chassis and they both dont work (AI and Alpha) . The bolt is hitting the mag follower and then the lips on the mag. What are you guys doing to get these to function? Are you trimming the mag lips and bunding them down, so to speak or are you bedding the rifle? I don't what to bed rifle because that was the whole point of buying a chassis. I might have just answered my own question... Just checking out what you guys are doing.. Thanks

Here's a couple pics.. You can see where the bolt hits the follower in the first pic, and then the lips on the mag in second pic.. It's close... I know my bolt face is a little dirty...

Thanks
SFU

Attachments

• bolt2.jpg
    bolt2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 28
  • bolt1.jpg
    bolt1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 30
You need to trim the Mag release lever so the mag sits a little lower. I think it's in the directions that come with the stock. Just take the lever off and take about .010 off the top and try it, repeat till it works, .010 at a time.

You need to trim the Mag release lever so the mag sits a little lower. I think it's in the directions that come with the stock. Just take the lever off and take about .010 off the top and try it, repeat till it works, .010 at a time.

Isnt this what I said for you to do SFU? Call Scott and get spare mag release and I can mill off what you need to drop the mag down.

U said a lot of stuff. Just askin what other guys have been doing. I will put a 45 on the follower too. I did see where some guys were doing that.