• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mcrees chassis' good products?

Bakwa

Prophetic Marksman
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2017
    FL
    I know many don't like their business model because they thought they owned the rights to bubble levels and threatened to sue a bunch of people.
    For that reason, I myself probably wouldn't support them by giving them my money directly.

That said, is there any reason to avoid good used deals on their products? Are the Mcrees chassis systems good in general?

I hadn't heard anything about the lawsuits, but I am definitely not up to speed on industry drama (there is always some.)

I have a G5 for Rem 700 SA, I have been using it for close to a decade and it has been very consistently accurate and durable. The only complaint I have with it is the same with every aluminum chassis I have laid my hands on - they are cold in the winter. Nothing that cannot be easily solved.

My first Chasis was a a Mcrees on a heavy and long 6.5x284 like 12-13 years ago.

It worked. The folder was OK. They are just simply dated. I think there are better options out there now by far, however, if you found a screaming deal on one sure go for it

Have had mine for several years. Got it when the chasis craze started. Built like a tank. Machining looks good to me, folder locks up solid. It is heavy just the way i like it. Only thing not aluminum is grip and buttpad.

Reactions: pabrousseau
    McRees chassis are what I shoot most times. It is rare that I dont have a McRees on my rifles and I am talking a lot of rifles with McRees... and most times it is because he has no chasssis for those rifles, like my Steyr SSGs or that I have an operational requirement of shooting a different chassis. Scott is a Hell of an American and a friend too. Customer service is second to none and him and his family will always stand behind his products. If you buy a McRees it will not be the last one.... you will see. And they are affordable and modular/upgradeable too !!

Reactions: Bakwa
    Back in the day (2010-ish?) McRee was one of the only LH/LA chassis' that I could find. I spoke with Scott personally several times before pulling the trigger, he never pressured me & seemed genuinely happy to speak to a potential customer.

I ran that chassis on my 338RUM for a long time & only had one complaint. I had to have a machinist machine a groove in the cheek pieces to allow bolt removal without moving or adjusting the cheek pieces. I was afraid that i'd strip the aluminum threads at some point.

It was a bit heavy, but that was nice for a rig slinging a 300grn bullet over +90grns of powder lol

Are there better options now? Probably & I have a few different ones, but I wouldn't hesitate to own another if the price was right.

t

Had one, decent chassis, heavy, but there are better options now. Sold mine for an XLR after the bubble level fiasco. :)

I see zero reasons to buy a McRees chassis, especially after the bubble level deal.

Much better chassis's out there now, McRees is stuck in the previous decade. Plus, no other chassis manufacturer will threaten to sue their customers.

I own several McRee chassis. The G10 folding comp model is the cat's meow. They are almost 2LBS lighter than the older model. Built like a tank. Combat proven for over a decade. They are also building ELR chassis now.

Picked up a G10 a few months ago; didn't know about the bubble level incident...oops. I do appreciate that feature though.
    FYI; I am a casual shooter & this is my first alloy chassis, but I thought the machining looked great for the price point...have been pretty happy with it so far overall.
    Folding mechanism seems pretty solid, if you grab a hold of the buttstock and crank on it laterally you can create some wobble/play. But never noticed any movement when shouldered. I do like the fact it locks when folded.
    This is not a negative, more of me being inexperienced; but brand new AI magazines would not function without tuning (didn't know of such a thing). I had to open up the front of the mag to .440, but it has been running smoothly afterwards...this is on a 6.5CM Tikka T3X.

PXL_20220807_152327533_2 (1).jpg

I bought a mcree g10 back in 2012ish. Rock solid, accurate, fit and finish was excellent. Currently they are dated and heavy compared to other options, but they perform well.