• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MCS-T4 Sako Quad 22 Trainer Pic Thread

ST42

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
WA
Gents,

Please post your photos here. Give all the details too. Jered's group photo just doesn't do them justice. Mine is the hands of UPS, so I won't be able to post until next week.

Re: MCS-T4 Sako Quad 22 Trainer Pic Thread

I caught hell for my bipod mounted backwards

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

50 yards sighted in with 10 rounds and shot 20 more quickly today
Federal Gold Medal Target
IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

Well, yeah. Freak'in nice by the way.

d,
She is a real beauty.

DAMN!
I hope mine will do that!

With me doing the shooting of course. ; )

Did Jared bed these or not? My stock came in and I can't decide if I should bed it or not.

I think he said that there would be minor bedding done, but I don't have my rifle yet to check. If the action fits hand-in-glove with the stock, then I wouldn't worry about bedding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoleCailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did Jared bed these or not? My stock came in and I can't decide if I should bed it or not. </div></div>

I can let you know on the 16th.....Come on UPS!

That is a nice lookin rig! As far as the bipod goes, I'd say go with what works for you!

Forgot to take a pic of the rifle, will do that tomorrow if I'm not too busy. But here are shots 5-30 for it (first 5 were off target to get initial zero). Starting Bottom left to right, the first 15 shots were from a bench with bipod and just freehanding the buttstock to get the zero dialed in (a 4-5Mph crosswind had me jumping back and forth a little trying to figure out what was wind and what was zero) and season the barrel a bit. The bottom right and top left were prone with a rear bag. When I saw what it could to there I moved over to the 100yd. That wasn't pretty, a gusty 5Mph wind would blow me right anywhere from 0 to 0.7Mrad, so I was kinda spread all over. But I did get a couple of nearly 1" groups when patient enough to match up wind conditions for shots.

The 200yd line was just a reminder of what the wind could do at that distance. I'd shoot at the far left target and get hits on the far right. The vertical was impressively consistent though.

Used FGGM 711B for all.

Rat it was worth the wait wasn't it!!!! It's killing me I can't get out to range!!!! Soon as daughters wedding is over I'm out!!!!!

Well, here she is. A great big Thank you to Thomas Manners, Jered @ PAI, and Surge for making this build happen for me. I was not able to get into the buy at the time it was open. But luck smiled on me and I was able to pick up the build that Surge commissioned. I had a bit of bad luck with my extractor, But the ten rounds I did manage to take were basically bug holing at 50m.

Gap Desert Camo, OD Barrel threaded for supressor, Falcon 4-14X44.
12.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Nice rig! Wish I would've seen the post to get on the list for one of these. Hope you get your extractor issues worked out soon. Good luck!

My only regret is not getting the adjustable cheek piece.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My only regret is not getting the adjustable cheek piece. </div></div>

Same regret here. For all of you guys who got the Falcon Menace, do you feel like "youre settling with $400 glass", or does it do the job for the .22?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My only regret is not getting the adjustable cheek piece. </div></div>

Same regret here. For all of you guys who got the Falcon Menace, do you feel like "youre settling with $400 glass", or does it do the job for the .22? </div></div>

Nope. But that was my fear. I have to admit. The Falcon scope is well worth the $. I did a side by side comparison of the Falcon and a MK IV 3.5-10. I have to tell you that I could Not tell the difference between the image quality of the two scopes. It does not compare to my USO's and it is Not as bright as Nightforce scopes. But It is as good as my Leupy's.

I'm using a stock pack with lower Manners rings and the eyeball height is working perfect for me. Well at least for ten shots
smirk.gif

I like it. It isn't $3000 US Optics quality, but it has most of the features I wanted.

I got the 3/8" high Leapers to get started and to measure. They are too high. Would recommend 1/4" high rings. <span style="text-decoration: line-through">0.170" high (0.750" base-to-center) would be ideal.</span> I'm looking for a suitable replacement.

Coulda sworn I posted these earlier, but I guess I never hit submit...

_MG_0598.JPG

_MG_0604.JPG

_MG_0596.JPG

I'm really liking the Karsten with this setup, and it lets me use Seekins 0.92's so I can push the scope farther forward without any issues of the mag ring contacting the scope base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like it. It isn't $3000 US Optics quality, but it has most of the features I wanted.

I got the 3/8" high Leapers to get started and to measure. They are too high. Would recommend 1/4" high rings. 0.170" high (0.750" base-to-center) would be ideal. I'm looking for a suitable replacement.</div></div>

See my post here about Falcons and ring height... http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...681#Post1110681

I could get away with the 0.820" and still have clearance for the magnification ring. But, you're right... 0.750" would be too low.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could get away with the 0.820" and still have clearance for the magnification ring. </div></div>
If you're using a Falcon 4-14 and the USO base Jered used then only if you move it far enough rearward that the mag ring isn't over the scope base at all. Trust me, I tried it.

The .87 would probably fly, but I don't have any of those laying around to actually try. The .92's provide plenty of clearance, and as a bonus also give enough clearance that you can get the barrel out without removing the scope as well as just enough that you can get the short sunshade off without removing the flip-cap.

I posted these in another thread, but to combine all I'll repost. Here's mine...Manners, minus 4 (MCS-T) Sorry for duplicating...I had forgotten about this compilation post.

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

Anyone else having issues sticking cases with HV ammo such as Federal 510?

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ishikawa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I posted these in another thread, but to combine all I'll repost. Here's mine...Manners, minus 4 (MCS-T) Sorry for duplicating...I had forgotten about this compilation post.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/Izhmash/IMG_0275.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/Izhmash/IMG_0279.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/Izhmash/IMG_0276.jpg</div></div>

How's the parallax on that 2.5-10x32NXS @ 50 yds?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone else having issues sticking cases with HV ammo such as Federal 510?

John
</div></div>

The Lijia barrels like match ammo

Ok, here is a pic of my Sako.....think I went overboard with the scope (NF 5.5-22x56)!?
grin.gif
Actually, as cool as this rifle is, I think the scope is fitting...and, well, its one that roams from rifle to rifle, so why not.

Also posted are some groups shot with Lapua Club, Federal 510, Federal 410 and FGMM. This rifle really shoots the Fed 510 well but doesnt like to extract the empties! These were shot at 100 yards, off the ground using a bipod with 5-7mph winds. Not bad for breaking it in! But, I bet it can do better if I did my part better.

John

e8272g.jpg

2rc7g1u.jpg

Here is mine

GAP Desert Camo
20'' Lilja
Millett TRS-1

I'm going out Wed. to shoot.

I'm going to paint the barrel.

I cant decide wheather to paint action and scope or not.

I think the sunshade is a little much.....

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

IMG_2193.jpg

Cruikshank, I wouldn't paint anything on your rifle, it looks nice as it is. Is your LOP long enough? I had a spacer system installed on mine, which I will get on Tuesday (I hope). I noticed that only two or three of us added buttstock spacers for a longer LOP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cruikshank, I wouldn't paint anything on your rifle, it looks nice as it is. Is your LOP long enough? I had a spacer system installed on mine, which I will get on Tuesday (I hope). I noticed that only two or three of us added buttstock spacers for a longer LOP.
</div></div>

If I had it to do over again I would have added another 1/2" to my LOP.

The LOP feels just right to me but I am on the small side of average

My Sako 22LR trainer finally arrived, and I have to say that I am very pleased with the design and build quality. I ran an oiled patch through the barrel (a Win 52C rod guide worked fine) and mounted a USO SN-3, now I'm ready to go shooting! The only hitch was cocking the bolt to enable it to slide into the action.

* 23" (I think) Lilja match barrel painted coyote brown (looks like FDE to me)
* Manners T4 stock painted in GAP camo
* 4 flush cups and 1 stud (for bipod)
* Buttstock spacer system (LOP came out well, I am tall)
* USO 20 MOA Picatinny rail (I suggest that USO make these in 30 MOA instead)
* USO 1.8-10x37mm SN-3 with Badger rings
* Harris bipod

Sako22LR014.jpg

Sako22LR015.jpg

Sako22LR016.jpg

Sako22LR017.jpg

Sako22LR019.jpg

Sako22LR020.jpg

Sako22LR021.jpg

I took the new rifle out back on my ATV and setup a target in the sage. If the objective was to create a rifle with handling characteristics very similar to a centerfire rifle (think GAP Rock in a McBros A5, for example), then I say, "Mission accomplished." I love shooting the Trainer (it deserves the name)!

Using American Eagle 22LR, there were about 15% FTEs that I had to pull out of the chamber myself. An easy way to do this is to pull the bolt back slightly and push in on the ejector hook with a fingernail, then pull the bolt all the way back. Otherwise, bring some needle-nosed pliers to the range.

I can tell the Trainer is accurate, but I was shooting off the back of my ATV with a bipod, using my fist for a rear support, and need a better setup to test for accuracy. Hopefully I can get to the range in the next couple days.

She is a beauty 1 Eye! I wish I had that scope on mine. I was out shooting this afternoon and with Eley blue box I was shooting nickle size groups at 100 yards, when the wind was cooperating. These rifles Do shoot.

STS

got to go out today between the boy's nap and the rain. I got a rough zero with Win superX from walmart. Then I shot ten 5 shot groups with Rem Eley and Fiocchi Sub Sonic I accidentally reversed the labels on the targets so the one labeled Fiocchi is Rem and vice versa. The Eley shot better. I was at about 60 yards with a 2-5 mph steady crosswind from R to L. I am really looking forward to getting somewhere I can stretch out to 100 yards and finding some different types of ammo to shoot with.

Each type of ammo fed fine. I had failure to ejects on the last round of each magazine about 50% of the time. The brass would extract fully from the barrel but not be ejected clear of the chamber. I would have to tip the rifle to the right to let the brass fall out. I am not sure why this is happening. I am cycling the bolt with the same force each time. The mag and spring are not acting on the cartridge any more at this point. I dunno. I don't feel this should be happening, especially at this price point, but it's really not a big deal for me.
Here are the pics

IMG_2198.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">This is actually the Rem Eley</span>
IMG_2200.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">This is actually the Fiocchi</span>
IMG_2202.jpg

Jack-
I think that is the first USO 1.8-10x37mm SN-3 that I have actually seen on a rifle.

Seems like it will be perfect for the trainer.
Must be nice to have those bottomless pockets! ; )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HOly dyna were did you guys get these stocls and do they make then for other .22's? </div></div>

Contact Tom Manners. http://mannersstocks.com/

This is not from the group buy, but quite similar. This is a Quad Varmint with T4.

- T4 GAP camo (OD, black, desert tan I think. I ordered OD, leaf green, earth brown. This looks great though.)
-Falcon Menace 4-14 FFP
-Sako Optilock low rings with weaver bases
-Rimfire Technologies 20 MOA picatinny rail
-Finnish SAK-silencer
-KMW bolt knob
-Harris BRMS 6-9" (podloc is coming)

Jones, very nice looking rifle. Can you post an image of the KMW bolt on your rifle?

This is the only picture right now. Maybe later a better one.

EDIT: A closeup.

FYI for those looking for ammo. I've run about 200 rds or more of FGMM 711B through mine with zero failures of any kind. Extraction, ejection, ignition; everything has been perfect.

Here's mine with the S&B mounted on it. The S&B's final resting spot is still at GAP for a rebarrel, but the Sako will get spoiled with it for a while.

P1010692.jpg

P1010691.jpg

This wasnt one of Jarred's builds so I might still skim bed it. Think the barrel needs some black cerakote. It has the Hotrod9mm rail, patriot bolt knob, lilja bull barrel, trigger tuned to 1.5 lbs, karsten cheek piece, tab sling.

^ oh...my...just beautiful ^

Here's mine, not part of the Patriot group build. Thanks to Shane of Thunder Beast Arms for making it a sick mo fo.

IMG_0613.jpg

I didn't get in on the group buy but have put together a similar critter. My original intent was to put a Lilja barrel on like all the others but the factory barrel is so accurate as is that I'm rethinking that plan (the people at Lilja say the Quad barrels are three months out anyway...). It would look better cosmetically but the existing barrel is fairly impressive in terms of accuracy.

This morning I put another 400 rounds through this and that Lilja barrel would need to be unbelievably accurate to make me swap out the existing barrel. I lined up ten empty 12-gauge shells on a fence 115 yards away and very easily (and quietly) took out each one with my 10-round magazine full of CCI SV's. The rifle is more accurate with WMT or 711B but I hardly think shooting shotgun shells merits costly ammo when the cheap stuff will do.

Anyhow, here's mine as it currently exists, the barrel/action/can will be coated to match the flat-dark-earth stock that UPS delivered from Manners yesterday.

Sako Quad in .22LR riding a Manners T4 stock while wearing a Leupold Mark-4 16x, SWR Spectre, bolt knob from PAI, 20MOA rail from Rimfire Techologies, and 6-9" Harris SBR-M:
t4quad.jpg