• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes MCX 'Pistol' Optics Choice

LRSHOOTER0311

Green Eyed Devil
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2018
Ok guys, so I need some input. I just bought a 11.5" Sig MCX Virtus pistol. The pistol has the minimalist folding brace that spins like a helicopter, in which I came across and purchased the sig spin fix from Gearhead works and the new Gearhead Works Tailhook MOD 1 C which serves as a VERY NICE stock workaround and gives me a metal brace.

So to the point, pretty much anything with BDC reticles are out of running as most are setup for a 16" rifle with higher velocities. Red dots are out because I'm a believer in the optic system should match the rifle's capability and if I ever put one on, it would be a back up or offset. Target identification is also important, I know I can score hits out at 300 accurately, however this is a do it all ranch gun and I need to be able to ensure good identification and solid first round hits. Therefore LPVOs are it for me.

Next, I don't cheap out on optics, but at the same time I don't see myself dropping more than $1,500 on this setup. That being said, I am a fan of the Nightforce NX8, Vortex PST GEN II, haven't tried the EoTech VUDU or Trijicon 1-4, 5, 6, or 8. I'm not sure what other options are out there and I departed Leupold awhile back. However, the VX-5HD 1-5x24mm CDS-ZL2 has caught my eye. I know there is the VX-6HD, but the only difference is you get the aluminum caps, throw lever, the electronic leveling/cant system, and slightly better glass according to Leupold (not noticable to me). While I could enjoy those, I added them on and it doesn't equal out to the price increase. Also, after reviewing the Leupold low profile locking CDS turrets, I like how I can setup ballistically calibrated elevation turrets since it will be matched to the velocities of my shorter barrel, wind I could hold for obviously.

So do you guys have suggestions? Should I just go for a better option and just dial clicks in MOA or MILs like everyone else?

Last edited:
Your Post caused me to look at the folding brace on my MCX pistol and a 14.5 SIG 516 upper with fixed brace.
The buffer tube is knurled on the MCX and quite stable but smotth on the 516 and will rotate.
I am going to ask SIG if they have any knurled tubes.
As to the optic, I put a S&B Dual CC Short Dot on which is out of the price rnage you specified.
I’m going to look into the spin fix from Gearhead.

Attachments

• 57E05349-5731-4CE5-8D9A-A0D58C6CC0A0.jpeg
    57E05349-5731-4CE5-8D9A-A0D58C6CC0A0.jpeg
    787.5 KB · Views: 538
Vortex gen 2 razor 1-6 is in your budget. If weight is a concern, go with the NX8. You won’t be dialing with a carbine. Turrets only used for zeroing and that’s it.

Put an Aimpoint Comp M4 on it and call it good.

Last Saturday I was at Thunder Valley Precision where they have 12" plates from 200 to 1200 yards. One of the rifles I took was a 16" carbine with a SIG Romeo5. The 2, 3, and 400 yard plates are basically gray with no paint left because they get hammered by all the noobs and are set with dirt berms behind so they're not standing out much at all.

Even so, getting 95% hits on the 300 yard plate was stupid easy with a reflex sight with a 2 MOA dot. And I surprised myself by getting about 70% hit rate on the 400 yard plate.

If the plates had been full size USPSA targets (23" tall to the shoulders by 17" wide) I bet I would have connected 100% at 300 and at least 80% or better at 400.

Last edited:
Reactions: LRSHOOTER0311