• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MCX Virtus

Shutrmgavin

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2018
Hi, got a $2k Virtus Patrol. Shoots 3-6 MOA with a wide variety of ammo and reloads. Before I sell it or send it back to SIG. Any thoughts? Across a few different optics as well. Thanks.

What muzzle device are you using? Have you removed and replaced the barrel?

Reactions: Shutrmgavin
What muzzle device are you using? Have you removed and replaced the barrel?
Flash hider it came with. Haven't taken it or barrel off yet. It does want to make me check torque settings on barrel screws although I'm sure it's fine. I"ll be right back just have to go find my fix it sticks.

So the #1 screw was not at spec. The manual said 60 inch pounds. It started turning when my fix it sticks read 45 inch pounds. Screw # 2 was at 60". I doubt this will make such a big difference but it's possible. I'll shoot it again tomorrow and see.

Reactions: Bluedog82
The Virtus is not a precise firearm, and I wouldn't expect it to be so. However, 1-3 MOA is what should be expected, most M193 (Federal, Winchester, American Eagle) have been around 2-3 MOA, and the only Mk262 ammo I have shot is IMI averaging 1.2 MOA.
More than likely, the loose barrel screw is the culprit of the extreme group sizes.
What optics/mounts are you using?
Specific ammunition being used?
Shooting off bipods, bag, or block, and are you using a rear bag?
Round count, and have you cleaned the rifle yet?

Reactions: Shutrmgavin
The Virtus is not a precise firearm, and I wouldn't expect it to be so. However, 1-3 MOA is what should be expected, most M193 (Federal, Winchester, American Eagle) have been around 2-3 MOA, and the only Mk262 ammo I have shot is IMI averaging 1.2 MOA.
More than likely, the loose barrel screw is the culprit of the extreme group sizes.
What optics/mounts are you using?
Specific ammunition being used?
Shooting off bipods, bag, or block, and are you using a rear bag?
Round count, and have you cleaned the rifle yet
The gun is shooting much better now that I tightened the screws. About 3 MOA with "match" ammo in 69 grain. I loaded 6 rounds of 69 grain SMK with Match Rifle powder from shooters world and same thing. COAl 2.24". Disappointed given the price tag and weight. I assembled a $1200 AR and it is consistently sub MOA with match ammo. I will do more load testing.

I wonder if I should take the barrel off all the way and reseat it?

Bipod with rear bag prone. 30x scope. I cleaned it.

Well, it may be me, but probably not. So hard to tell. For every person who says their semi auto rifle is sub moa "all day long", another says theirs is not. I have been putting my 77 grain handloads through a control AR 15 with a tier 1 barrel (compass lake) and getting 3 or 4 shots touching/almost one hole. Then the 5th shot will be 1.25" away. In a 10 shot string 7/10 will be nearly touching but the 10 shot group will near 1.5-2 MOA. With the MCX this opens up to 8/10 in 1 MOA with 2/10 brimging the group to 2 MOA. All Lake City brass but mixed number headstamp. Perhaps I'll try some Lapua and see what happens. Very frustrating coming from bolt action reloading.

Ok. I understand barrel and handguard flex is normal. If you hold the handguard and push on the barrel, the MCX flex is extreme. Therefore I guess I guess I need to tweak my Harris bipod rear bag setup that I always use? Or is this level of flex out of spec?

Are you measuring your groups? 3-4 shots touching with 223 probably .5moa or better... I find it's deceiving shooting .223 caliber and measuring groups.

Also, you mentioned your bolt action rifles... I have gotten way to spoiled with custom bolt guns... a gun that is built for combat just isn't the same.. sub 2 MOA would be about all I would expect honestly... especially with random lake city brass.

Can you post some pictures of your targets? I'm interested since I am looking into getting a Virtus.

Are you measuring your groups? 3-4 shots touching with 223 probably .5moa or better... I find it's deceiving shooting .223 caliber and measuring groups.

Also, you mentioned your bolt action rifles... I have gotten way to spoiled with custom bolt guns... a gun that is built for combat just isn't the same.. sub 2 MOA would be about all I would expect honestly... especially with random lake city brass.

Can you post some pictures of your targets? I'm interested since I am looking into getting a Virtus.
I can get some for you. I measure outside edge to outside edge between the two farthest away and subtract .224 with digital calipers. I actually just shot it tonight ( I have a 300 yard range at my house). It does about 3.5-4 MOA with pmc bronze and privi partizan 69 grain "match" consistently. Sure it will put 3 touching but at least one will be 3 inches away. Since retorquing the barrel screws I have not loaded more 77 SMKs in Lapua brass. That load does 1/4-3/4 MOA consistently in my home brew AR 15 with compass lake barrel and matched bcg.

On youtube Clay Martin from guns america puts SIGs 77 grain match load through his Virtus for 2k rounds and gets sub moa for 5 shots. 8541 tactical same thing with black hills and gold medal match. I may have to bite the bullet and buy some. My reloading room is currently being renovated and it's a pain to break out all my crap to load.

Maybe I am spoiled, but I know with the factory ammo I have in hand my lwrc and compass lake gun shoots way better than the Virtus and they weigh less. So far, the only nice things I can say about my Virtus is that it has been reliable, the trigger is nice, and it looks very sexy. And the finish on the parts is incredible.

Just for curiosities sake, have you tried shooting without the flash hider?

Curious if you ever pulled the barrel off and reset it?

Curious if you ever pulled the barrel off and reset it?
Yes, twice. Last time to remove muzzle device which was on there ridiculously tight. It actually helped. It was actually shooting m193 8 moa before I did that. Now it's like 4

I ask because I have one that shoots close to 1 moa with Black Hills 77 grain. I've not loaded for it yet, nor ever removed the barrel. Of course, that's a sample of one.

I ask because I have one that shoots close to 1 moa with Black Hills 77 grain. I've not loaded for it yet, nor ever removed the barrel. Of course, that's a sample of one.
Yeah lots of reviews of it being sub moa for 5 shots or even 10 shots. Got the lemon I guess. But there are a ton of match ammo out there I haven't tried, just don't want to pay the price. If it doesn't do 1 moa with Lapua brass , xbr 8208 and 77 SMKs or 75 grain hornady I"ll sell it.

did you talk to Sig yet? They might take it back and fix it for you?

did you talk to Sig yet? They might take it back and fix it for you?
They haven't got back to me yet. Also I have a feeling they're going to say nothing is wrong with it. Nice looking gun but I'm not paying nearly $2k for a rifle in 2020 to have it shoot 1.5 MOA at best for 5 shots. Like I said, we can send a bolt to Compass Lake and they'll send you a AR barrel that will do 3/4 MOA for 10 shots for less than $500. I just wanted to try external piston rifle.

Somebody will pay a premium for my Virtus and will appreciate it. I think it's a fine rifle, I just don't like giving into hype, I'm kind of a dick like that.

I think folks in general don’t understand how small a deal it is for a rifle designed to be a better AK74/47 to shoot with 2 moa precision vs 1 moa. Those things (2 moa vs 1 moa) don’t matter all that much to the gunfighter using the tool for what it was designed for. It’s an approximately 5 inch circle vs an approximately 10 inch circle at 500 yards. If you do your part, that’s likely going to be a hole through a bad guy at that distance if you held the wind right. Most civilian buyers don’t think that way though, and I get that.

My point in the above is that a carbine is for breaking a corner and putting rounds in the direction of where you’re receiving fire from. It’s for hitting your belly and sending rounds through enemy moving to another fighting position. It’s for maneuvering to clear a hilltop with. With a shorty barrel it’s for clearing a courtyard over the top of a wall. It’s for clearing the backside of a structure looking for that squirter, etc. etc. etc.

In all those things, 1 moa or 2 moa at a bench, or in the prone from a bipod with a rear bag, out side of a proper zero, won’t matter at all to the man using the tool for what it was designed for.

Now, if it’s the 16 inch barrel and you’ve got a 1-8 on there for a DMR capability, or for hitting 2L bottles of coke at 500yds, then I’d want something closer to 1 moa too, but I think most folks who do their part get that with the Virtus. All you’d likely need to do is ask SIG to send you another barrel and see if it isn’t what many others experience with regards to precision.

I think folks in general don’t understand how small a deal it is for a rifle designed to be a better AK74/47 to shoot with 2 moa precision vs 1 moa. Those things (2 moa vs 1 moa) don’t matter all that much to the gunfighter using the tool for what it was designed for. It’s an approximately 5 inch circle vs an approximately 10 inch circle at 500 yards. If you do your part, that’s likely going to be a hole through a bad guy at that distance if you held the wind right. Most civilian buyers don’t think that way though, and I get that.

My point in the above is that a carbine is for breaking a corner and putting rounds in the direction of where you’re receiving fire from. It’s for hitting your belly and sending rounds through enemy moving to another fighting position. It’s for maneuvering to clear a hilltop with. With a shorty barrel it’s for clearing a courtyard over the top of a wall. It’s for clearing the backside of a structure looking for that squirter, etc. etc. etc.

In all those things, 1 moa or 2 moa at a bench, or in the prone from a bipod with a rear bag, out side of a proper zero, won’t matter at all to the man using the tool for what it was designed for.

Now, if it’s the 16 inch barrel and you’ve got a 1-8 on there for a DMR capability, or for hitting 2L bottles of coke at 500yds, then I’d want something closer to 1 moa too, but I think most folks who do their part get that with the Virtus. All you’d likely need to do is ask SIG to send you another barrel and see if it isn’t what many others experience with regards to precision.
Yep, 16" with either a 3x prism or 1-8 lpvo. And most are getting there, at least with ammo that's $2 a round right now. We'll see. I know most 55 grain stuff is absolute garbage.

Well, possibly more evidence it's not me. Groups have tightened significantly with a can, any can, on the end. Easy hits at 300 yards on an 11" plate with 3x prism and federal plinking 62 grain. 2 moa 5 shot groups with m193 at 50 yards. Was 3-4 moa, and the 62 grain stuff would miss half the time at 300. Looking forward to trying better ammo again.
Interestingly, no change in zero with a can, any can.

It’s a sig, the same engineering team and standards that produced the m17 dumpster fire.

The problem is the quick change barrel mounting system, they should offer a standard barrel nut version.

I don’t like the rebar like stock either, so unless you really need a folding stock and have to shoot it like that, I would get something else.

It’s a sig, the same engineering team and standards that produced the m17 dumpster fire.

The problem is the quick change barrel mounting system, they should offer a standard barrel nut version.

I don’t like the rebar like stock either, so unless you really need a folding stock and have to shoot it like that, I would get something else.
It's actually doing really well with the can on and the barrel super dirty. Much better than clean and without the can. Not as dirty as my ARs either. But yeah, there are probably better options at the price point these things are going for on gunbroker right now. I paid less than MSRP so I'm not too upset considering no wanted to run it suppressed 99% of the time anyway.