• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MD60Z vs MK4 vs LMSS

Best Spotter under $1500 with reticle

• Bushnell LMSS

• Minox MD60Z

• Leupold MK4

• None of the above - write in

Results are only viewable after voting.

FOHA1

Special
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2014
I am really close to pulling the trigger on a real spotting scope, sorry but no Swaro or Hensel for me until I hit the lottery. Use is for PRS competitions out to 1400 maybe longer. Must have a mil based reticle. Aftermarket support is important for tripod mounting, red dot or range finder (Leica 2400R) attachment. Compact size is a bonus.

Bushnell LMSS $1080 @ Optics Planet
Pros; H32 Reticle . Easy to mount rails/outboard gear. Widest magnification range (8-40)
Cons; Varying reviews on the glass, especially at higher magnifications. A bit larger than the other two. Low position of reticle.

Minox MD60Z $1250 @ Optics Planet
Pros; Really compact. Minox glass quality reputation. Least "obtrusive" reticle.
Cons; Limited aftermarket support. Limited reviews available.

Leupold MK4 12-40 $1473 @ Natchez
Pros; Lots of good reviews and I see them a lot at PRS matches. Choice of H32 or H36 reticle. Compact size. Great aftermarket support.
Cons; Most expensive. Reticle is positioned low in glass.

Write-ins welcome.

Last edited:
Had the same questions except I was looking at the Bushnell T-series that seems to be more or less a copy of the Leopold Mk 4 as well. I'm surprised this thread didn't get more discussion by now.

Have you considered the new Athlon spotter?

I would call doug at cameraland and see what he has

Or pick up a used Razor HD in the PX and slap one of their new eye pieces on it

I'd go LMSS. Not sure why people woudl bitch about the glass, I've been impressed with all of the ones I have played with. The LMSS2 was announced at SHOT with some new external features, but no changes to glass, and no ETA for release.

I have an LMSS with the H32. Only complaint is that the magnification and focus rings are really stiff.

It's going to be a bit before that happens, though.
Yup, but I wouldn't buy a Gen 1 LMSS now because the resale on it isn't going to be good with the Gen 2 coming out. Better off going with a MK4, preferably used, as a stop-gap. The Minox is nice, but weighs a ton and the Cronus weights a lot as well.

Yup, but I wouldn't buy a Gen 1 LMSS now because the resale on it isn't going to be good with the Gen 2 coming out. Better off going with a MK4, preferably used, as a stop-gap. The Minox is nice, but weighs a ton and the Cronus weights a lot as well.

It depends on how good of a deal you can get on the Gen1 and how much you care about resale value, honestly. Plenty of people would be perfectly well served with a gen 1 LMSS, especially if they can get a good deal on one.

FYI, the MD60Z doesn't have a reticle. The MD60ZR does. Goes for $1,695. The reticle is thin enough that it can basically disappear if you want it to by not focusing on it. Def compete's with the Mk4. The reticle is much better than that of the Mk4's. Doesn't have the Aftermarket support for NV's etc like Hensoldt or Leoupold. Good glass for the money.

Hello I have the MK4 mil dot my first spotting scope with reticle haven't had chance to look through the Bushnell LMSS or Minox MD60Z ,I would like to look through the Bushnell with H32 reticle ,geoff3

Minox MD60ZR at 30x. IPSC below the crosshairs is 792y

B90A9930-8245-448F-91A9-F5E96D945066.jpeg