• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDR in 5.56

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
It seems that there are relatively few MDRs chambered in 5.56 (either natively or via conversion kit) in the wild, and I wanted to reach out to the Hide to see if anyone here has any hands-on experience with them. I've had my 7.62-chambered MDR for awhile now, and am pretty happy with it; and I just ordered the 5.56 conversion kit from Euro Optic (their website shows them being out of stock, but I went ahead and back ordered it with expected fulfillment sometime in the next month or so). I'm pretty excited to get it, as it will allow for more trigger time on the gun for a given (ammo) cost, and less recoil/muzzle blast, to boot.

So, that being said, what sayeth the Hide, re: MDR in 5.56?

Total round count at this point is just under 100 rounds (of .308, obv), and the average group has been in the 1.25-1.5 MOA range, with the last two groups (shot with a different technique) being just under MOA and .6x MOA. The trigger has been serviceable, but not nearly as nice as I'd like... though I installed the JARD sear pack a few weeks ago and that made a noticeable improvement in feel, but I have not gotten a chance to get to the range with it to see if it makes any kind of difference in regard to accuracy.

Logic tells me that if I continue to use the same technique as I used for the last two groups (resting the fore end in the "channel" of X-shaped sandbags, then using my off hand to pull the sandbags towards me while shoving the gun forward with my shoulder), the gun will likely continue to put up groups at or slightly under MOA, even with the factory trigger. To be fair, that accuracy was achieved with handloads, but the loads haven't been tuned to the gun at all (I assembled them before I even had the gun in-hand, and used a pretty generic load that I more or less just pulled out of my ass; virgin Sig brass, WLR primer, 46 gr Varget, Hornady 155 gr BTHP, COAL 2.75x").

Nothing earth-shattering, but all things considered I'm pretty happy with it.

My 5.56 kit has been on order straight from DT for a couple months now. They keep pushing the ship date back for no apparent reason. Initially it was supposed to ship the week after my order. I called two weeks ago and the girl said it should ship right before Christmas. I called yesterday and the same girl told me they can't give me an ETA now. DT makes awesome guns, but holy fuck does their customer service suck.

My 5.56 kit has been on order straight from DT for a couple months now. They keep pushing the ship date back for no apparent reason. Initially it was supposed to ship the week after my order. I called two weeks ago and the girl said it should ship right before Christmas. I called yesterday and the same girl told me they can't give me an ETA now. DT makes awesome guns, but holy fuck does their customer service suck.
I hear ya, and feel your pain. When I called Euro Optic to order it, the guy that I spoke with mentioned that two conversion kits had come in the previous week (and had gone to fill back orders, obviously), but that they were expecting more of them in 2-3 weeks. I hope that's accurate, but even if it isn't, it's not the end of the world.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely want the conversion kit sooner rather than later, but at the end of the day the MDR (along with pretty much all my guns) is a toy for me, and if it takes awhile to get to me, I'll live.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
Does anyone want to buy my full 5.56 conversion? My 5.56 rifle should be here next week and I’m going straight to an Es tactical 6.5 setup.

Just received my 5.56 MDR conversion that I ordered over 2 years ago lol.... I preordered from Eurooptic and basically had forgotten all about it. I am accustomed to long waits for gear, especially NFA stuff, but this wait was a little extreme.

The MDR seems to create new problems as a consequence of trying to answer questions no one is asking. Good for them to try something new and different, but in its current state, i believe it is purely a range toy. If you want a semiauto notAR to shoot paper and steel, i think it's perfectly suited for just that.

I got my 223 conversion kit off Rob at special weapons and will install today ... people whining about the MDR generally havent even got one ...

How much are you asking for it ?
Same as the conversions cost. Not looking to make money just won’t be using it and figured it could help someone else that would be waiting a long time otherwise. PM me if your interested. Should arrive this coming Wednesday