• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDRX/MDRX SE

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
Looking at the announcement for these variants of the MDR, I have to admit (as a '19 MDR owner) to being envious of the higher durability polymer; I haven't had any issues, but more stronger is more better.

Regarding the trigger, I have the JARD sear assembly in mine so the upgraded trigger doesn't mean much to me... but the side eject model at a lower price DOES make me envious. The forward ejection setup on mine has been pretty reliable (I had a few problems early on, but that's what break-in periods are for), but to be honest, I'd be just fine with side ejection... and I'd certainly be fine with paying less for the rifle in the first place. That said, this is the very sort of thing that I foresaw happening sometime back.

Anyhoo, I am excited about the longer barrels and the 6.5 Creedmoor conversion, and have to wonder (hope?) that the newer, more durable hand guards are compatible with the older guns (since that seems to be the most common failure point that people have experienced).

What are y'all's (YES, that's a word, says the Texan) thoughts?

Reactions: Edgecrusher
You called a midget hooker service in the Ukraine while visiting and placed an order. When in Chernobyl, right? And it was supposed to be a woman.

A 6’7” extra from a wrestling show arrived instead and fucked you in the ass with a 36” dick.

A new advertisement arrived from the midget hooker company. They promised to do better in the future.

Do you pick up the phone?
C'mon, man... you can't honestly view what was initially promised vs. what was initially delivered (re: MDR) as quite the difference provided in your example. Let's say you called that midget hooker service and ordered a woman... and what arrived was the bearded woman, who was a refugee from the WNBA and had a yeast infection; in other words, still serviceable after a fashion, even if you didn't consider it to be money well spent. THAT'S a better corollary to what was initially promised vs. what was initially delivered.

I’m a bit bitter.

I wanted to have 2 MDRs as the only semi auto guns I needed (a short range sbr and a 6.5CM/308 changeover).

But it turns out midgets can’t cook. Especially blind quadruple amputee midgets.

I trusted DTA. And I was willing to just smile and let them fix about 1/4 of what went wrong as my “It’s an all new platform” cost of doing business.

I have worked in manufacturing and design of weapons - I know how it shakes out some times.

1/4 of the issues they had? Good job guys! You nailed a difficult product release!

1/2 of the issues they had? Alright enough. Do better next time though.

The issues they actually had? You are fired DTA!
I hear you, and, in many ways, can't blame you for feeling that way. I don't think that anyone, with a straight face, will say that the product release was handled well. If I had to guess (and a guess is all it is), I'd say that with the delays that occurred, a decision was made to release the product despite known issues in an effort to bring the delays to an end.

That said, the product that I ended up with in mid-'19 is really pretty decent. I think we all understand that being an early adopter of any new design is going to include some teething pains (as you mentioned in your post), but I really do think that if you were willing (and I wouldn't blame you if you weren't) to give the MDR another shake, you'd be satisfied with it. However, it's also possible that the MDR will never be palatable to you given the disappointment that you've experienced.

And even at that it’ll probably be a range rental that we won’t sell any to a customer until we review the logs of jams and do some 1,000/5,000/10,000 round accuracy and reliability tests on.

I and many other would be REALLY interested in a test like that.

The accuracy of the MDR especially with one of the ES Tactical barrels has me absolutely drooling in a bullpup configuration. I want one BAD and really hope they can get it right.

Correct me if I am wrong but there is not any other bullpup on the market that is a solid 1MOA besides the MDR with es tactical barrel?

I kind of want one but... I have feelings more stuff might change, and forward eject was kind of the most interesting feature of the rifle... The whole barrel zero gas block needs to be rethought they need to come up with a system that allows for different length gas pistons the length they are using seems optimized for .223.

The fact they don’t offer the side eject model in 308/6.5 cm is idiotic. That’s the only setup I’d consider after owning the original 7.62 then selling it because I saw this coming.

I’m a bit bitter.

PicsArt_05-07-01.21.37.jpg

You called a midget hooker service in the Ukraine while visiting and placed an order. When in Chernobyl, right? And it was supposed to be a woman.

A 6’7” extra from a wrestling show arrived instead and fucked you in the ass with a 36” dick.

A new advertisement arrived from the midget hooker company. They promised to do better in the future.

Do you pick up the phone?

Thank you so much for that... . Ive been checking the optics thread daily just in case a popcorn popper has started but it never does. Why couldnt Bubdly have tried to push his Quigly Ford during the COVID-19 outbreak. Work gets boring and the hide is about all i have for entertainment.

Okay, be honest, I want a non-AR 6.5, should I get one of these or cough up the $3800 for a Mk20?

Are these things dead nuts reliable now, or just a range toy? I'm guessing stay away from Gunbroker on these, yeah?

I'm interested in these results as well. Currently I'm running a 16" 556 MDRX that I like very much. I need to get a 16" 308 conversion, or maybe a 20" 6.5. Right now I've got my Razor gen3 mounted, which probably isn't the ideal scope for making the best groups.

good question. I've spent far more time shooting steel than trying for tiny groups. I'll see what sort of 556 match ammo it likes and see what I can do. I'd be happy with consistent 1 to 1.25 inch groups with match ammo off a bipod & bag. while the trigger is better than any bullpup I've used, a Geissele/JP it is not. I really need to get a 762 barrel ordered, I've got a significant amount of FGM in my cache.

regarding a non-AR in 6.5 (or any caliber) - I strongly get that urge. Don't get me wrong, I love the AR platform, but I have several of them that I'm well acquainted with. I think the MDRX scratches the non-AR itch as well as anything else, but I'd love to have a SCAR 20S - but to me it's not worth the extra cost vs. the DT. other choices in a semi 6.5C would be a M1A or XCR-M, though I'd rather have a DT than either as the ergos on an M1A are very 1950 and the XCR-M is very much like an AR.

I got the desert tech in 6.5 because to scratch that "not a AR 10" itch. To me i love the scar series in theory but they just didn't offer value for the cost. The direction of weapons tech is lighter more compact, more functional and more ergonomic user friendly controls. The desert tech check all of these boxes better then the other products on the market stock. I'm excited to see how this system is going to work in practice.

1) is anyone aware of third party smiths turning barrels for the MDRX? I've read that ES Tactical used to do it, but I've reached out to them on a couple of times and never heard back.
2) does anyone know if DT is releasing barrel extensions and/or gas blocks for MDRX barrels?
3) has anyone heard if Faxon is open to special requests for MDRX barrels? I'd love a 416 stainless 19" in 762 and another in 556.

range trip today with some ok results.

7 x 5 shot groups
biggest group was 3.29 with a called flyer ruining a much better group.
best group was 1.02" center to center
average group was 2.08" - without a pair of called flyers I'm guessing my average would be +/- 1.8"

setup:
stubby vfg resting on a piece of wood on a bench and my bag at the rear. not ideal, but not terrible either.
conditions were fine weather was 66 deg with little/no wind
ammo was crappy bulk black box federal.

I had my first failure to feed - though I suspect it's mag related.
the trigger is ok for what it is. it's very long, and quite heavy but breaks and resets very consistently. according to my trigger gauge the trigger breaks very consistently at 6.5 to 6.6 lbs. there is some room for improvement.

next steps:
ditch the vfg (unnecessary with the integrated hand stop) and attach a bipod and some match ammo. I'm sitting on about 3k if imi razor core, hopefully that nets better results.

Last edited:
556/223 - Vortex Razor G3 1-10. while I love this optic, I'll admit it's not ideal for punching small groups @ 100 yards, at least not with my eyes & skills

I'm interested in this gun too and want to get a good bullpup rifle. I'm not a midget hooker guy but I'd never buy the first couple years of new generation Corvette as they always have issues on the track that later will be sorted.
I'm not surprised by the flaws of the new design and hopeful that they got them fixed.
How accurate is this gun in 6.5 or even 223/556 say if we put on the bench or Ransom setup?

Thank you so much. I was really curious and wanting their 6.5 CM. I wasn't sure how well it would shoot. But wow if you have such excellent results, it's an easy decision for me. Originally, I want their 300 blackout for subsonic close range fun with suppressor and I would get ES Tactical barrel for 6.5cm.
I wonder if their 300B shoots well or more like the 556 you experienced.

I got a 16'' MDRX in 556. The rifle runs reliable. Two things that I have compliant: One is the mag release is very hard to press and another one is it is very hard to adjust gas block with handguard on. The mag release is getting a little better after 500 rounds down range. I don't like the forward ejecting since it covers up the entire port and I can't do safety checks. But at the time of purchase there is no SE version available. DT videos side you just need to get a SE kit and then you can convert your FE to SE. Be aware it is not the case. After install the SE kit, basically just two different side panels, the rifle either over gas or have too little gas since the side panel opened up and I think it masses with the gas system a little. In order for it to run reliable, you need the whole barrel made specifically for SE model since the gas port is different size. But with all that, I am still running as FE configuration and bottom line is the rifle is reliable so far.

Reactions: Gtrnn
I got a 16'' MDRX in 556. The rifle runs reliable. Two things that I have compliant: One is the mag release is very hard to press and another one is it is very hard to adjust gas block with handguard on. The mag release is getting a little better after 500 rounds down range. I don't like the forward ejecting since it covers up the entire port and I can't do safety checks. But at the time of purchase there is no SE version available. DT videos side you just need to get a SE kit and then you can convert your FE to SE. Be aware it is not the case. After install the SE kit, basically just two different side panels, the rifle either over gas or have too little gas since the side panel opened up and I think it masses with the gas system a little. In order for it to run reliable, you need the whole barrel made specifically for SE model since the gas port is different size. But with all that, I am still running as FE configuration and bottom line is the rifle is reliable so far.
What is your experience with the accuracy?

What is your experience with the accuracy?
I only ran a red dot on the rifle and was intend for a close quarter gun so I haven't really tested on the accuracy yet. I will probably try it this weekend and report back.

Reactions: Gtrnn
I only ran a red dot on the rifle and was intend for a close quarter gun so I haven't really tested on the accuracy yet. I will probably try it this weekend and report back.
Well, how was the accuracy?

Well, how was the accuracy?
Sorry for keep you waiting. I only got the chance to test it out yesterday. AZ is so hot right now for shooting outdoor... It is pretty consistent getting getting 2.5 MOA with wolf gold 55gr ammo. The rifle is very hot since out door temp is around 110. I think a better trigger would make huge difference on accuracy...

its so sad the only thing I saw in this post was something about midget hookers and pics of a rifle and someone's not sure what it was that broke and something about 308's lol but the midget hookers stood out

And in a less spammy post, do folks have a preference for the side-ejecting vs forward ejecting models? Is simplicity and ease of checking the chamber > ease of shouldering on the opposite side?

And in a less spammy post, do folks have a preference for the side-ejecting vs forward ejecting models? Is simplicity and ease of checking the chamber > ease of shouldering on the opposite side?
I'd advise against the side eject. Mine had big ejection issues that took months to get fixed and they ended up replacing bolt head, extractor buffer and extractor spring. It now ejects but dents brass so can't feed it nice match ammo if I want to reuse the brass.

I'd also advise against a MDRX all together. Mine had the charging handle snap off when they shipped it back to me after finally fixing the ejection issue. Fourteen days later and I am still waiting for them to send me a replacement charging handle pivot so I can repair the rifle myself. It snapped off due to them doing a piss poor job packaging the rifle and the charging handle pivot being very thin right where the charging handle connects. I would never trust the rifle for anything serious. DT warranty support is also a fucking joke and with the MDRX you are very likely going to need to use it at some point if you actually use the rifle...

Reactions: Mk32784
Oh boy, I'm about to have my long awaited rifle transferred this week. May be I would sell it and get something else lol.

Oh boy, I'm about to have my long awaited rifle transferred this week. May be I would sell it and get something else lol.
You at least have two charging handles for when one snaps off. I've been getting by with just one for the past two weeks.

• Haha
Reactions: Mk32784
Sorry for keep you waiting. I only got the chance to test it out yesterday. AZ is so hot right now for shooting outdoor... It is pretty consistent getting getting 2.5 MOA with wolf gold 55gr ammo. The rifle is very hot since out door temp is around 110. I think a better trigger would make huge difference on accuracy...
I purchased 6.5 CM as reports seem favorable in terms of accuracy. I shall report if it doesn't break before I can get through the break in process.

Reactions: Thoruos
I purchased 6.5 CM as reports seem favorable in terms of accuracy. I shall report if it doesn't break before I can get through the break in process.
Please tell us about the reloadability of the spent cases as well :)

This has been my experience with the MDRx 308 16" barrel purchased in August 2021.

Initially the magazine would eject after firing a round but I bent the magazine catch and desert tech is sending a new one so this issue is resolved to some extent. The original mag catch appears to be a bad casting.

The most persistent problem is the cycling of ammo. I have tried 308 Norma, Winchester, Fiocchi, PMC and 762 Magtec, Armscor, PPU. The gunsmith I took the rifle to after 400 rounds stripped it, cleaned it, lubed it and tested it on his range with the ammo he had and experienced the same issues. PMC and Winchester 308 ammo tends to lightly dimple and not fire the primer on the second shot chambered. When you rack it back to clear the unspent round it doesn't kick out like normal, even if you rack it fast and hard. The unspent round and the next round in the magazines end up jammed in the chamber. Only rarely will the 308 cartridge miss or get stuck in the forward eject system. And the most problematic 308 round is anything with a soft tip. The PPU 762 ammo is getting stuck in the chamber and if the gas is turned up too high it's ripping the rim off the cartridge. The other 762 ammo frequently gets stuck in or misses the forward eject system but cycles nicely if you leave the forward eject port off. I have requested information on if and how to purchase a 308 side eject panel but received no response. This would be an acceptable fix for the 762 ammo in my mind and I am willing to pay for it. I am not using a high speed camera but I suspect the slightly dimpled non discharge rounds might be the result of a double fire. I have since replaced the trigger with a Jard sear and have not tested yet but Ill keep you posted. Still no idea on how the rifle is putting two 308 rounds in the chamber. Update: third time out shooting with 200 rounds of 308 PMC solid tip, normal gas setting and the new trigger. First off the Jard Sear trigger came from the manufacturer out of adjustment, not your fault but while out of adjustment it produced the same 308 jam as I described above. fires the first round and click on the second round, when you eject the second round it is lightly dimpled. After adjusting the disconnect screw on the new trigger the riffle fires 308 PMC solid tip consistently on Normal gas block setting. 1 out of every 50 will still lead to a jam where there appears to be a misfeed issue.

On the first day of shooting I noticed the trigger would get stuck. In some cases just waiting a second would allow the trigger to spring forward and on others the rifle had to be tapped. Basically the rifle is acting as if I am holding the trigger for a prolonged period of time before resetting and allowing the trigger to be pulled again. Upon inspection the trigger rod that connects the front group to the rear assembly has metal burs on the rear of it that appears to be catching on the plastic guides. I removed the rod and polished it smooth. The rear trigger group once removed does not appear to be sticking or rubbing but appears to be wearing excessively. After the first day and 400 rounds the notch in the round pin where the hammer is mounted appears cut into by the trigger latch that is supposed to catch it. As I mentioned above I have replaced the trigger and this issue should be all but removed so this is just for your information.

Also on the first day one of the screws fell out of the left hand side of the rifle, in the desert, and was lost. The manufacturer replaced this on the first warranty claim.

On the second day of shooting the cartridge ejection port dust cover hatch started to fall apart. The pin worked it's way nearly out and it has never worked correctly since. The latch doesn't hold it closed when you want it closed and the spring doesn't hold it open when you want it open. The 308 cartridges appear to push past it regardless and I usually have it removed for the 762 ammo.

Initially the rear push pin was removed and reinserted relatively easily, but lately the pin is difficult to remove and the rubber butt stalk end and two halves of the rifle need to be squeezed and manipulated in order to reinsert the pin. I believe the issue above where a 7.62 cartridge was frequently getting stuck between the ejection port and bolt carrier might be putting outward pressure on and deforming the butt of the rifle.

Update!

After my last series of posts I received communication from Jeff Wood of https://coldboremiracle.com/ ([email protected]). Jeff let me know that he is Desert Techs go to repair man and that he could fix it.

I sent the rifle back to the manufacturer and they where supposed to send it off to Jeff for repairs. It took about a month and when I received it, the contents where in a new hard plastic case that also include a repair statement from Desert Tech. The statement indicates that a few parts were repaired or replaced and that the 25-round magazine I sent them was incompatible with the rifle as it holds too many rounds. Apparently, you may only use a 20 round or few magazines with this rifle and despite what all the advertisements say the 10-round magazine is the only one that shoots consistently. The statement also indicates that Desert Tech was able to accomplish his diagnosis of “good to go” after firing 20 rounds of 308 and 20 rounds of 7.62 x51... I’m Curious how he was able to diagnose the 25-round magazine and 20 round magazine after only firing 40 rounds but I’m no mathematician. They must have had a bad experience there not telling anyone about.

The freshly returned rifle appeared cleaned and well lubricated. Nothing was done about the factory trigger that appears prematurely warn. The Jard trigger works flawlessly once adjusted. The forward ejection panel that was giving the 7.62 x51 rounds so much trouble appears new and the dust cover flap is now working properly. The magazine catch latch was replace with one that does not appear to have the same poor casting as the original and did not need to be manipulated to work.

On the first trip out shooting after the rifle was returned to me it initially gave me no issues using 10 round magazines shooting 308 or 7.62 x51 cold. As I switch to the 20-round magazine, the gun is already heated up a bit and still on the Normal gas block setting, the 308 rounds start to jam towards the end of the clip (round 16-18). The old cartridge is ejected fine, but the new cartridge is only halfway in the chamber when the action slams closed on it. I adjusted the gas block one setting towards Advanced and I get the same jam. On the final Advanced setting of the gas block the 308 jam is reduced to every other clip. Switching back to 7.62 x51 20-round magazine I set the gas block to Normal and while still hot the 3rd round fired has the rim ripped off the cartridge and left in the chamber. After removing the spent cartridge and cleaning the chamber I call it a day.

The next day I go out and buy the exact same ammo Desert Tech used to test the rifle and two new magazines. The first two 10-round magazines of 308 go smoothly and then the first 20-round magazine of 308 jams like before on round 17. The second 20-round magazine and the 16th round in the clip does not discharge but instead gets stuck in the chamber with the action locked on behind it. So stuck I could not safely dislodge it or tear it down at the range. When I get home and tear it down, I discover the unspent round is the shape of a banana. I’m now getting ready to ship it back to the manufacturer again. I did not get to test the new 7.62 x51 rounds.

In short, this is a $2,500.00 rifle that fails at performing its primary task and the failure of which is somehow out done by its manufacturer who expects you to put over 1000 round thru a faulty weapon in order to make it a slightly less unreliable and do it 10 rounds at a time with multiple months long pauses in-between where the rifle must be sent back to the manufacturer for “repair”...

2nd Update!

As if this couldn’t get any worse, I received communication from Jeff that my riffle never made it to him, he was out of town on a hunt. Desert Tech had someone else perform the warranty work who was out of the loop on the issues I have been communicating. They obviously did not read the two page right-up I sent with the riffle. Furthermore after taking over a week to respond to me this is the response I received from Glen Fullmer after informing him with pictures that the rifle is still not fixed:

"Good afternoon Scott,
Please find the warranty claim form attached. If you will complete it and get it back to me, I’ll generate another RMA. Please note that if we can’t identify a defect in the rifle or duplicate the issues you’re reporting, we will charge for testing and evaluation ($50), ammunition used, and any shipping/repackaging costs. Thank you.

Glen Fullmer
Warranty Manager
Desert Tech
801-975-7272 Ext. 148
[email protected]"

I feel that if anyone should be charging for testing it’s going to be me. I have purchased 7 magazines and 1,500 rounds from 7 different manufacturers. So in summary Desert tech is continuing to take the approach of blaming the operator instead of the defect. They continue to negligently push a defective and dangerous product on it’s consumers.

If I were Desert Tech, I would have sold this IP already to someone who can make this go like IMI. And desperately tried to distance my company that makes pretty good bolt action rifles from what is happening here.

It seems like there is a Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 4, Gen 18 of this gun...but no Gen "It Just Works Now"

I'm more upset in that I really want this gun to work - it would replace many of my existing guns if it did work great.

Reactions: ChadL
If I were Desert Tech, I would have sold this IP already to someone who can make this go like IMI. And desperately tried to distance my company that makes pretty good bolt action rifles from what is happening here.

It seems like there is a Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 4, Gen 18 of this gun...but no Gen "It Just Works Now"

I'm more upset in that I really want this gun to work - it would replace many of my existing guns if it did work great.
Oh brother I'm right there with you! I wanted this rifle to work so bad I nearly spent more on testing it than purchasing it.

Last edited:
Man that sucks. I wanted one and was waiting before buying. I’ll pass!

I'll say that while I certainly believe the write-up, my personal experience with mine is exactly the opposite. I have had no flaws or failures of any kind so far aside from a minor fitting issue with the magazine catch, which was easily corrected without need for RMA. So far I've used both the 6.5CM 20" barrel and the .308 20" barrel, with 25 round Lancer and Magpul magazines without a single hiccup that wasn't my own fault.

They have had some lemons, which seem to have all occurred around mid-late 2020, and all seem to be attributable to poor assembly and QC work. @Scottp did you purchase direct, from a distributor, or via another method?

It's a shame to hear about the experience, since I know what it feels like when the rifle does function like it should, and it's fantastic

I'll say that while I certainly believe the write-up, my personal experience with mine is exactly the opposite. I have had no flaws or failures of any kind so far aside from a minor fitting issue with the magazine catch, which was easily corrected without need for RMA. So far I've used both the 6.5CM 20" barrel and the .308 20" barrel, with 25 round Lancer and Magpul magazines without a single hiccup that wasn't my own fault.

They have had some lemons, which seem to have all occurred around mid-late 2020, and all seem to be attributable to poor assembly and QC work. @Scottp did you purchase direct, from a distributor, or via another method?

It's a shame to hear about the experience, since I know what it feels like when the rifle does function like it should, and it's fantastic

Your anecdote reminds me of IOR back in the day - it wasn’t the one noisy guy blowing his one failure up into Chicken Little proportions...

It was the one guy who had one that worked back then that seemed the odd man out.

Any other MDR owners have one that worked? Ran a carbine class with it for example? I still remember mine spitting out the mag every round when I was in the shoot house with some guys from 10th Group. Embarrassing as fuck that was.

I loved pouring primers out of my other larger caliber MDRXs after a range session. No depriming needed for me, and I found the lower held between 18 and 21 primers before function ceased.

DTAs performance with this gun was Rittenhouse Prosecution embarrassing. If they can keep it together for 5 years I’ll go back and try again. It’s a great concept.

Your anecdote reminds me of IOR back in the day - it wasn’t the one noisy guy blowing his one failure up into Chicken Little proportions...

It was the one guy who had one that worked back then that seemed the odd man out.

Any other MDR owners have one that worked? Ran a carbine class with it for example? I still remember mine spitting out the mag every round when I was in the shoot house with some guys from 10th Group. Embarrassing as fuck that was.

I loved pouring primers out of my other larger caliber MDRXs after a range session. No depriming needed for me, and I found the lower held between 18 and 21 primers before function ceased.

DTAs performance with this gun was Rittenhouse Prosecution embarrassing. If they can keep it together for 5 years I’ll go back and try again. It’s a great concept.
I’m going to apologize because I realized I never returned here with a report. My response seems harsh until I explain a little.

Almost all of the MDRs I bought were shit. Complete shit. One baffle struck a suppressor with its first round, and I check with a rod first...one dumped its mag on the ground every shot...the 6.5 was stupid accurate, but dangerous to shoot with massive overpressure signs.

The 4th one worked okish. It was a forward eject shorty 556 and had some gnarly jams a few times but suspect it was the closest to working.

I downchecked that one when I couldn’t remove a magazine without tools on a range trip.

Once trust is gone, it’s gone gone.

I get that, I just thought I'd add my 2 cents since usually the only ones posting are only those who've had bad experiences. It's not usual that someone buys something, has it work and then goes to post about it unless it's something particularly notable. For me, the MDRX is everything I wanted in a rifle, and my favorite among all that I own. However I'm not the sort of blind apologist who is going to fail to acknowledge the flaws, which mostly lie with desert tech's manufacturing and QC. when they make one that works, it's really good. But the problem seems to be that the design has a few particular flaws that make it prone to poor function if certain parts aren't exactly right, which is a crying shame.

My personal hope is that the kinks get worked out and it slowly recovers the reputation it deserves, much like other rifles (certain versions of the SIG MCX come to mind) that had a rocky start but are now considered good.

All that being said, if people who still have one are having trouble, please post here and I'll do my best to help troubleshoot. I'm no DT employee, but I am an engineer with an unhealthy love for the rifle.

Reactions: bfoosh006
I get that, I just thought I'd add my 2 cents since usually the only ones posting are only those who've had bad experiences. It's not usual that someone buys something, has it work and then goes to post about it unless it's something particularly notable. For me, the MDRX is everything I wanted in a rifle, and my favorite among all that I own. However I'm not the sort of blind apologist who is going to fail to acknowledge the flaws, which mostly lie with desert tech's manufacturing and QC. when they make one that works, it's really good. But the problem seems to be that the design has a few particular flaws that make it prone to poor function if certain parts aren't exactly right, which is a crying shame.

My personal hope is that the kinks get worked out and it slowly recovers the reputation it deserves, much like other rifles (certain versions of the SIG MCX come to mind) that had a rocky start but are now considered good.

All that being said, if people who still have one are having trouble, please post here and I'll do my best to help troubleshoot. I'm no DT employee, but I am an engineer with an unhealthy love for the rifle.
Appreciate it. I’ll keep an eye out on this thread and see what happens.

DCC4B2FA-745A-488A-902E-D5D0707E7C1F.jpeg

Figured I’d put in my two cents Because I noticed my rifle(mdrx 556) that has had 300 rounds through it since last week and haven’t had any issues other than:
- it being super gassy (haven’t played with the gas yet )
-and the trigger resting after a second (like it gets hung up sometimes)
It does tend to get way to hot compared to anything else I own after a few mag dumps.
I think this rifle really shines in 556 though most of the issues I’ve read about are all the larger calibers.

I got 6 more mags I have to put through it before I get the stamp cleared and it’s a full time micron for the rest of its days and I’ll report back when that happens to see if there’s any thing new

- it being super gassy (haven’t played with the gas yet )
-and the trigger resting after a second (like it gets hung up sometimes)
Best way to do gas tuning I've found when I've tried different conversion kits is to start on S- and then increase until it stops short stroking, same thing I do with my ARs when buffer and gas tuning. then you're using just enough but not overgassing the system.

The trigger thing, try pulling the trigger pack out and checking the disconnector movement and pin, might need a little oil since the factory trigger pack pins are very tight. You don't need to run the MDRX wet but it does really benefit from a good oiling/greasing on contact points out of the factory to help everything break in.

Reactions: Dosesr1
Lol 4 yrs later and same conversations about this gun.
I was on the original group buy before it was released. The red flags were screaming, and dt kept making handling mistake after handling mistake, so I opted out and never locked back.

There are plenty of other alternatives, the only reason to waste your time with this platform is ignorance, over optimism or stubbornness.