• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT .223 Magazine Issues

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania
    So I have both Accurate Mag which I removed the front lip to allow long COAL rounds and that runs great. I also got 2 MDT magazines to test. They do not run at all. Load 5 rounds and when you push the bolt half way forwarded the follower sticks and doesnt push the rounds up. This happens with 2, 3, 4 or 5 rounds in the case....I also tried pushing the follower down by hand and the follower gets stuck in the magazine as well. You have to stick something down into the case and push the follower down and then is gets unstuck and springs back up.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue with MDT mags?

Last edited:
    Nope. Got two 10 rounders and they run great.

Nope. Got two 10 rounders and they run great.

Hmmm...I ordered them after seeing you were running them in your new 223. Not sure why they are getting stuck. I have 2 as well and both do the same thing. Gonna give MDT a call and see what they say.

Yeah give them a call. I plan to order a few more after I move.

Oh yeah. They're worthless. The follower tilts and get stuck. Mine couldn't feed a round to the chamber, so MDT sent me an Accurate Mag that works sometimes. I started filing the feedlips back on the MDT and now I can get a round to the chamber maybe 35% of the time, but very roughly. I thought Ruger's solution might work, but it seems the industry can't figure out the .223 AICS.

Are these compatible with the polymer AI 223 mags? I got two of the AI mags with my GA precision squire (223 built on a remington model 7 action). They are way loose when clipped in ... not a fan

I use MDT mag in my 6x45 and it runs flawlessly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

photo71114.jpg
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/www.snipershide.com\/shooting\/core\/image\/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP\/\/\/wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw=="}[/IMG2]

photo71115.jpg
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/www.snipershide.com\/shooting\/core\/image\/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP\/\/\/wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw=="}[/IMG2]

​ I'm using a 5 round 308 Win. aics magazine that I modified. Bent the feed lips in and put a little epoxy putty on the mag walls to make it slimmer so it single stacks the rounds. It runs 7 rounds of 223rem and 223AI at a COAL of 2.625" smoothly.

Last edited:
    Reactions: SterlingCross

​ I'm using a 5 round 308 Win. aics magazine that I modified. Bent the feed lips in and put a little epoxy putty on the mag walls to make it slimmer so it single stacks the rounds. It runs 7 rounds of 223rem and 223AI at a COAL of 2.625" smoothly.

I should try this - i just have an emotional reaction to those "flimsy" plastic mags - they fit poorly in the bottom metal.

MDT is sending me new mags. Said they have seen this on batches when the plastic cools too quickly....

I can run my Accurate mag 100% with COAL 2.55" with front lip removed.

While there certainly might be a mag issue, all of my dealings with AICS mags not feeding have been due to mag latch issues. They have been too long and way short.

Easy fix if too long, but a bit of a pain if too short. My MDT LSS was 40 thou too short. MDT kept sending me latches that were 3 or 4 thou longer than the original. I ended up tig welding a teet on there and filing it down until them things snapped in. A good fit is critical and also helps stop some of the rattle.

I have two, they have been great for me so far, also in a savage. :)

I have 10 of the MDT's in 308 sized and 223. and have had zero problems with them.
    The 223 I use for 300 blackout and 223.rem , the 308 size I use for 308 win and 6.5 CM

I have 3 MDT that I use in a Savage with 80gr Sierra bullets loaded long. Been using them for a couple years no issues to date.

Whoa. Can we see the inside of the mag or do you have any measurements of how thick the epoxy is?

I have no fitment issues. They lock up nicely in my XLR chassis.

I'd have told you the same thing on mine as everything seemed to fit quite well. Was doing exactly as you described or jumping the ass end when the cartridge was halfway up the feedramp.

photo71444.jpgphoto71445.jpg
    Whoa. Can we see the inside of the mag or do you have any measurements of how thick the epoxy is?

I just slopped some JB Weld putty on the mag walls and used a chisel on it till the mag follower fit with a little clearance.

I have 3 MDT that I use in a Savage with 80gr Sierra bullets loaded long. Been using them for a couple years no issues to date.

Impossible!!! we all know Savages dont feed and eject well! Lol.

I have 1 mdt 10 round i use in a xlr and savage rifle

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I just slopped some JB Weld putty on the mag walls and used a chisel on it till the mag follower fit with a little clearance.

Thanks. I might have to give that a try.

Okay so I am bumping this thread, hopefully someone can help me improve the feeding of my mags. I'm having issues feeding 223 with both a 10 round polymer MDT mag and a metal 5 round Accurate Mag. Both mags are sitting high enough in the bottom metal and the mag lips are contacting the receiver, and they both fit snugly with no upward play.

With the MDT magazine, the rounds will feed, but the bullet jackets are getting marked up by the feed ramp of the receiver. You can see from the picture below that as the bolt starts to push the case rim, the tip of the bullet contacts the feed ramp and it takes a solid push to get the round to feed into the chamber. When carefully extracting the round, I can see that the feed ramp has left a mark in the bullet jacket. You can even see in the picture a little brass colored line on the feed ramp from where the bullet jackets are getting marked up. The edge on the feed ramp doesnt seem sharp at all, in fact its pretty smooth. It just feels like the round is sitting too low in the magazine, or the magazine lips are holding the round too long, not allowing it to angle up as it begins to approach the feed ramp. I've also included a few pics of how the loaded round sits in the magazine.

lcm3uIJ.jpg

dibz7QX.jpg

zB7PBqs.jpg

It seems like I could potentially bend the lips a bit to let the round sit a tiny bit higher in the magazine, or maybe grind the front of the lips away a bit to allow the round to free from the magazine sooner when it starts to contact the feed ramp?

Now the Accurate Mag is another problem. The bolt face contacts the case rim, and then immediately slides over the case. I'm assuming that on this mag, the round is clearly just sitting too low in the magazine? I've included some pics of this issue as well, and of the round in the magazine.

DtwKUEi.jpg

w1tE69u.jpg

GXFxmcP.jpg

So I'm guessing this magazine needs to have the feed lips bent out a bit to allow the round to sit higher? Any ideas on the best method of accomplishing this given the fact that there is a plastic insert within the mag body? Pretty disappointed that a $64 magazine wouldn't even be close to feeding and would need this much modification. I guess I could reach out to AM and see if they would send me a replacement or something.

Any help is appreciated... I don't necessarily need to get both of these mags operating flawlessly, I'd settle for one or the other. The MDT is nice because it allows the long OAL, but I know the Accurate mag can be modified to take longer lengths as well, so it doesn't matter to me. Right now, it seems like the MDT mag is very close to feeding properly, if I can just get the lips to release the round a bit sooner maybe.

Send the Accurate Mag back for your money. That's ridiculous.

The MDT plastic one, I'd grind the feed lips back to shorten them, allowing the round to release/rise sooner.

Magpul needs to come up with a 223 AICS Pmag like yesterday.

Send the Accurate Mag back for your money. That's ridiculous.

The MDT plastic one, I'd grind the feed lips back to shorten them, allowing the round to release/rise sooner.

Magpul needs to come up with a 223 AICS Pmag like yesterday.

I would love for magpul to come out with a mag for 223, that would be perfect. All my magpul mags for 308 feed like a dream. I get that 223 has some inherit difficulties with its short length and smaller diameter, but yeah I think I will have to contact Accurate Mag and see if they will send me a replacement or something like that.

I get that 223 has some inherit difficulties with its short length and smaller diameter

None that can't be overcome with some hands on experience and with 3D CAD modeling, which I'm sure Magpul has.

Well so much for that idea. You guys have me leery now. I'm shopping to relplace my factory sps stock and can't imagine spending $400- $1000 and then have feeding problems.

The two plastic MDTs that I have work flawlessly in a KRG chassis

I have had the issue with the MDT mags where the follower and all the remaining rounds in the magazine get stuck. I called MDT and they were helpful with getting me some replacements. I haven't been able to test the new ones yet. It's amazing how much of this high speed, low drag stuff just doesn't work. I guess that's what you're paying for when you get a setup from PVA, LRI, etc...They deal with this stuff before it gets to you!

I'll tell you what's a piece of shit: MDT steel magazines.......

Never again.

So no one has had the issue with the MDT 223 mags where the lips seem to be holding the round too "long" preventing the round from smoothly angling up as it begins to contact the feed ramp??

It doesn't seem like the magazine is out of spec because it looks like I will have to grind off a good portion of the front of the feed lips, probably .25" or more so I guess I'm stumped that no one else has had this issue. Especially with people running 2.400-2.500" OAL rounds, I would expect someone else to have the same issue where the bullet tip is being forced into the receiver feed ramp while the round is still captured by the mag feed lips...

Like I said, the round will feed, but it certainly requires more effort than I would expect and its clearly leaving a mark on the bullet jacket. Would be great if someone here has removed material from the front of their feed lips and can show a picture of their process.

So no one has had the issue with the MDT 223 mags where the lips seem to be holding the round too "long" preventing the round from smoothly angling up as it begins to contact the feed ramp??

It doesn't seem like the magazine is out of spec because it looks like I will have to grind off a good portion of the front of the feed lips, probably .25" or more so I guess I'm stumped that no one else has had this issue. Especially with people running 2.400-2.500" OAL rounds, I would expect someone else to have the same issue where the bullet tip is being forced into the receiver feed ramp while the round is still captured by the mag feed lips...

Like I said, the round will feed, but it certainly requires more effort than I would expect and its clearly leaving a mark on the bullet jacket. Would be great if someone here has removed material from the front of their feed lips and can show a picture of their process.

How a magazine feeds is the product of the relationship between the position of the magazine in relation to the receiver's feed ramp, its position in relation to the bottom of the bolt head, cartridge taper, cartridge OAL, and the overall shape of the feed lips, among probably other factors I either forgot or didn't think about.

If your mag sat a little higher in the stock, maybe you wouldn't have this problem. If the feed ramp was designed differently in your particular rifle, maybe you wouldn't have this problem......you get the point.

With all the possible combination of rifle designs, stocks, DBM designs, variations in DBM inletting from one stock maker and/or gunsmith to the next, etc, etc, etc it's not surprising at all that not everyone has the problems you're having. I don't. MDT plastic mags work swell in my 223 (Howa) with my chassis/DBM inlet (KRG), and my ammo (loaded to 2.26 OAL"). If I changed any one of those parameters, I may have a train wreck or it may all still work fine.

I think you will have to become the sacrificial lamb and donate one of your mags to science (so to speak) to find out if shortening the feed lips from the front will fix the issue, and if so by how much. Before you shorten them, I suggest you try relieving material from the inside front edges of the feed lips with a front to back taper to try to increase the up angle of the bullet.