• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT ACC DIY Weights

Collett

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2022
Manchester, Kentucky
I had been looking to add weight to my rifles for a while now but I couldn’t persuade myself into spending several hundred dollars on each rifle to do so. I traveled to the local steel shop and purchased 1/2” x 1 1/4” steel bars. I purchased socket head cap screws (#10-24x1/2”) and mlok tnuts, as this was my preferred method for attachment. Once I gathered my material I began to take measurements of the chassis. I wanted my weights to sit flush with the top of the rail and still alow use of the arca rail on the bottom. I wasn’t concerned with center of gravity, as I shoot a monthly prone match, and balance isn’t really an issue for me. After gathering my measurements, I began to mark the steel using an automatic center punch. Once I had all of the steel marked, I used a 13/64 bit to drill through all of the pre-punched marks. I then used a #10 counterbore bit to bore each hole out leaving a clean, flat surface for the bolt to rest against, while also recessing the bolt head into the steel. After completing the drilling process, I used a simple hand file to round the square edges at each end. At this point I was satisfied with the weights for my purposes. The only thing left to do was coat them. I initially intended to have them sprayed with Cerakote but then decided against it simply because it’s just a weight. Coating just wasn’t something I was real concerned with and looking back I’m satisfied with my decision. I decided to use Krylon spray paint with the hammered finish. I sprayed all weights, let them cure, and attached them to my rifles. I was extremely happy with the outcome. I ended up with 3 sets of weights. I made 1 set 15” long, and 2 sets 8” long, although both up the 8” sets ended up on 1 rifle. The 15” set weighs 5.6 pounds and the two 8” sets combined weighed around 6 pounds. I was unsure if the weights would slip over time due to recoil but I shot both rifles regularly in the 2023 season and have had no issues at all. Sure these aren’t as flashy as other factory weights but this is a much cheaper option.
IMG_3468.png
IMG_3468.png
IMG_3439.jpeg
IMG_3443.jpeg
IMG_3444.jpeg
IMG_3457.jpeg
IMG_3471.png
IMG_3470.jpeg
IMG_3472.png
IMG_3470.jpeg

So no mlok recoil lugs if I’m reading it right?
I basically purchased an mlok nut and bolt kit, replaced the bolts with extended bolts, and used the mlok nuts. I realize several of these companies offer weights that have been milled with integral lugs, but I honestly didn’t want to take the time mill everything out. I actually centered the bolts up in the center of the slot. This was more less an experiment but after shooting it all year with no issues, I doubt I’ll change anything for my purposes.