• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT (AICS) .223 mag WAY tight in my JAE chassis - Need Help

Boogaloo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2012
Los Angeles Kalifornia
I recently purchased a couple of MDT mags for my 223 AI to use in my JAE chassis and right out of the packaging, they basically need to be forced into place to engage the locking tab. I have a couple AI 223 mags that have been junk in this chassis from the get go, as I could never get them to sit up high enough, or get the mag well adjusted properly to reliably feed from them, which is why I bought the MDT mags to try out.

Before anyone asks, the answer is YES, I have loosened the mag well adjustment on the JAE, which allows you to dial front to back positioning. This is a WIDTH problem, not a length (front to back) problem.

The million dollar question is, do these MDT mags need to be "massaged" to make them work in most rifles with AICS patterned mags? Has anyone else with a JAE chassis had similar issues?

A quick once over with calipers shows me that the MDT mags are about .005" thicker at the top section than the AI mags. The AI mags seem to "float" around a bit so my guess is that the MDT mags could stand to lose 2-3 thou in order to be able to insert them easily with one hand.

As it stands now, I would have to force the MDT mag into the well to get it to the lock, and it takes 2 hands and some force to get the mag out, so it is definitely an interference fit.

I have no problem "massaging" these mages to make them work, but I am more curious as to whether or not "massaging" MDT mags is the "norm" before I say screw it and send them back for replacements.

When I had a JAE or even with my Hawkins bottom metal, I had to take file to the corners of my 223 MDT polymer mags and remove a little material till they slid in and out with no issues.