• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT AICS 308 Metal Magazine Review

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania
    Thanks to @MDT_Josh I will be testing MDT's metal 10rd and new 12rd AICS pattern 308 magazines. The 12rd mags are new and will be available for purchase soon. Josh tells me the 10rd MDT mags are 0.75" shorter than a standard AICS magazine and use a double stack, single feed design. You can get these mags with or without a binder plate. With the binder plate they have a max internal COAL of 2.895" and their non-binder plate version has a max internal COAL of 2.955".

I will be testing these magazines in 2 different Bighorn TL3's. One in an XLR Envy chassis and one in a MPA BA Competition chassis in 6.5x47L and 6.5cm. Neither of these calibers will come close to the max internal COAL of these magazines but will tell us how 2 of the most popular calibers today feed out of these magazines. MDT shipped me magazines today so I will have them sometime next week.

MDT has a new version of their 223 AICS pattern magazine in the works as well. Keep an eye out as I hope to test that one soon as well.

https://mdttac.com/collections/poly...l-magazines-short-action?variant=134164545542

Our AICS-pattern metal magazines are manufactured from high strength steel, nitrided, and finished inside and outside with Cerakote for ultimate durability, corrosion resistance, and friction reduction.

5-Round Magazines:

• 3.055” Outside Length
    • 2.870” max cartridge overall length (COAL)
    • 2.52” Rear Height
    10-Round Magazines:

• 3.055” Outside Length
    • 2.870” max cartridge overall length (COAL) with binder plate
    • 2.960” max cartridge overall length (COAL) without binder plate (see limitations below)
    • 3.90” Rear Height
    The 10-round magazines are approximately ¾” shorter in height than standard AICS 10-round magazines due to MDT’s unique Double Stack to Single Feed (DSSF) transition design, allowing easier mag changes when shooting prone.

The 10-round magazine includes 2 internal ribs that help reduce friction between the cartridge and magazine body and provide a smooth transition from a double stack to single feed at the top of the magazine.

Looking forward to your review, as I need a few more (shorter) 10 round mags that actually work.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
    Looking forward to see how these work in the Envy Chassis cause I just bought some accurate mags and they dont fit easy in my Envy chassis

Reactions: SRSDriver
    Unless something has changed recently McCree magazines are made by Accurate mag. I have been running a couple MDT DSSF magazines for a while they work great in my McCree/Savage and Howa HCR. The only issue noted to date is the 10th round is tight. I will try some of the 12 rd mags when released I like the 10rd mags I have now.

Unless something has changed recently McCree magazines are made by Accurate mag. I have been running a couple MDT DSSF magazines for a while they work great in my McCree/Savage and Howa HCR. The only issue noted to date is the 10th round is tight. I will try some of the 12 rd mags when released I like the 10rd mags I have now.

Thanks for the MDT DSSF feedback. What caliber are you running in the MDT mags?

Sorry forgot to add that. 6.5x47 in the McCree/Savage and 6.5 Creedmoor in the Howa HCR. All of mine have the binder plates.

Excited to hear what you think of the mags @padom ! The 5 and 10 round mags are currently available for 308 with the 12 rounders being launched this fall! The new mag has been teased on our social media (if you want to go find it and have a look ;) ) and will be available in 308 first, with 223 to follow. If any of you guys ever have questions on these mags or any of our products feel free to PM me or call/email our service department directly and we'll get you sorted out with a fix ASAP :D

Reactions: camocorvette
    Package from MDT arrived today!! Came very well packaged with 2 stickers and a nice little card letting me know who picked and packed it.

These mags are very solid, heavy and well made. You notice the weight to them when you receive the box. Nice slick finish on them as well. Will be testing them with 6.5x47L in my Bighorn TL3 in XLR Envy chassis probably tomorrow and will report back. Looking forward to running these.

Are they 12rd or 13rd mags? Did you get a chance to compare them to ARC mags?
    They are 12 round magazines that have the ability to fit 13 rounds of some calibers (like the 308). The mags we sent @padom were pre production and stamped "13 RND" where the actual production will be stamped "12 RND". How they compare to the ARC mags will be up to @padom to review. We have not tested them yet.

Reactions: n0glock
    Are they 12rd or 13rd mags? Did you get a chance to compare them to ARC mags?

Compare to ARC mags in what way? I have been running ARC mags until Josh sent me these MDT mags. They both perform great in my TL3/Envy in 6.5x47L. The MDT holds 2 more and are a little heavier. They are very well made.

I bought a metal 10 rounder from them earlier this year. First round was unbelievably rough out of the lips and things barely got better as the magazine emptied out. $70 in the trash.

By contrast, my Alpha DSSF mags feed like butter.

Reactions: Ryan Bosley
    I bought a metal 10 rounder from them earlier this year. First round was unbelievably rough out of the lips and things barely got better as the magazine emptied out. $70 in the trash.

By contrast, my Alpha DSSF mags feed like butter.

Sorry to hear that you've had issues with your magazines 308pirate! If you still have it, we could send you a new spring/follower (which will solve the tight 1st round problem) and I can give you some tips on feedlips tweaks if you'd like? ;)

Josh

Excited to hear what you think of the mags @padom ! The 5 and 10 round mags are currently available for 308 with the 12 rounders being launched this fall! The new mag has been teased on our social media (if you want to go find it and have a look ;) ) and will be available in 308 first, with 223 to follow. If any of you guys ever have questions on these mags or any of our products feel free to PM me or call/email our service department directly and we'll get you sorted out with a fix ASAP :D

Do you have a time frame on the .223Rem magazines and what is their projected capacity? I'm currently running your polymer 10 rounders, which run flawlessly BTW.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
    Do you have a time frame on the .223Rem magazines and what is their projected capacity? I'm currently running your polymer 10 rounders, which run flawlessly BTW.
    Good to hear you're liking our 10 round poly mags @bunsen27 ! The 10 round, 223 polymer/metal mags are still pretty far out and we probably won't see them until next year :( Keep your eyes out though as we're very excited about the 308 variant!

Reactions: bunsen27
    Good to hear you're liking our 10 round poly mags @bunsen27 ! The 10 round, 223 polymer/metal mags are still pretty far out and we probably won't see them until next year :( Keep your eyes out though as we're very excited about the 308 variant!

I run your 10 round polymer 223 mags in my Bravo right now, no complaints at all. What is the benefit or reason you are coming out with new .223 mags?

I run your 10 round polymer 223 mags in my Bravo right now, no complaints at all. What is the benefit or reason you are coming out with new .223 mags?

Hey @SLG I am happy to hear that you're liking our poly 223 mags! We're not really looking to replace those mags, but rather the 308, 8 round polymer magazines. In replacing the 308 mags with a polymer/metal mag, we are considering making a 223 variant oo, but nothing is concrete yet.

Reactions: SLG
    Sorry to hear that you've had issues with your magazines 308pirate! If you still have it, we could send you a new spring/follower (which will solve the tight 1st round problem) and I can give you some tips on feedlips tweaks if you'd like? ;)

Josh

I threw it away, but thanks for the offer.

The basic shape of the feed lips is the problem. There is very little contour to them so the top round contacts them mostly on the sharp inner edges. This creates an insane amount of friction as those edges dig into the OD of the brass. Every single case coming out had two longitudinal scratches matching the spread between the lips.

In contrast, the feed lips of my Alpha magazines are clearly contoured to follow the circumference of 308-family cartridge cases. That design allows the Alpha magazines to feed almost as smoothly as PMAGs, which are IMO the gold standard in that regard.

Your 223 plastic magazines are outstanding and can't see the point in spending more on AI brand mags for the same cartridge.

The day someone comes out with plastic DSSF short action mags, that's all I'll buy.

MDT_Josh, have you guys done any testing with 6 Dasher and/or are there plans for an insert kit for the round?

Compare to ARC mags in what way? I have been running ARC mags until Josh sent me these MDT mags. They both perform great in my TL3/Envy in 6.5x47L. The MDT holds 2 more and are a little heavier. They are very well made.
    I’ve been hearing about ARC issues when they get dirty. I was wondering if you happen to experience any issues with these

MDT_Josh, have you guys done any testing with 6 Dasher and/or are there plans for an insert kit for the round?
    I have not personally tested with the Dasher/BR yet, however 2 of our trusted testers have and have encountered zero issues. They have just been pushing the rounds forward in the magazine for the time being, but the Primal Rights Kit (http://www.primalrights.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=135) will work with our 10 and 12 round magazines (shortened for the 10). We may or may not be working on some better solutions for the Dashers in our future products, but I can't confirm that ;)

Reactions: b6graham
    I have not personally tested with the Dasher/BR yet, however 2 of our trusted testers have and have encountered zero issues. They have just been pushing the rounds forward in the magazine for the time being, but the Primal Rights Kit (http://www.primalrights.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=135) will work with our 10 and 12 round magazines (shortened for the 10). We may or may not be working on some better solutions for the Dashers in our future products, but I can't confirm that ;)

Tease! I have a few sets of the Primals so I will try those when the new mags drop.

I have the 10 round model and it's alright. I was really looking for a DSSF mag to cut down on its overall length a little bit and one came through the Hide PX, so I picked it up. The 10th round is a lot tight to get in the mag. Some spring tweaking helped out and polishing the feed lips really helps these mags. I also did some sanding on the follower to make getting that 10 round in easier. It's still pretty tight. Besides those couple of things, they're great. I run mine in the dust and dirt and I've not had a failure to feed yet. After polishing the feed lips, this mag is pretty slick and comes close to the feeding smoothness of my 5 round AICS.

Thanks for reviewing the mags padom....this gives me a reason to pull out that HS3 Rem model 7 chassis I have laying around to build a 6.5 PRC using the 10 & 12 rounders. That round will definitely reach the internal COAL, may even have to hand load to get them to work, but that might work in my favor.

Thanks for reviewing the mags padom....this gives me a reason to pull out that HS3 Rem model 7 chassis I have laying around to build a 6.5 PRC using the 10 & 12 rounders. That round will definitely reach the internal COAL, may even have to hand load to get them to work, but that might work in my favor.
    These are the factory Hornady 143's in the Mdt 10 round with no binder plate so they do fit .
    IMG_0289.JPG
    IMG_0287.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG

So I picked up one of these new magazines and the Primal Rights kit for Dasher did not work out of the box. The front end of the mag is narrower than the Primal Rights follower (the back insert fits very snugly). After some sanding I got the follower to fit, but there is some serious tilting of the follower with the last round or two. I was just stripping the rounds by hand, so maybe it behaves differently in the rifle. Looks like I'll need to lengthen the follower and also look at anti-tilt tabs. Of note, the MDT follower has tabs on both ends to keep it from tilting.

Any other updates on these? Been running ARCs in my match rifle but switch to MDT polys in crappy conditions. My ARCs have scrambled on me one too many times when they get dirty so looking for something new.

Also, Josh, have you done any testing with different mag extensions? I have MPA/419/Seekins + base plates that I’d like to use but am wondering if the metal mags share the same footprint/spring inlet design.

Any other updates on these? Been running ARCs in my match rifle but switch to MDT polys in crappy conditions. My ARCs have scrambled on me one too many times when they get dirty so looking for something new.

Also, Josh, have you done any testing with different mag extensions? I have MPA/419/Seekins + base plates that I’d like to use but am wondering if the metal mags share the same footprint/spring inlet design.
    The plus 2 seekins to ARC need filling to get it fit.it wont drop in.but it works really well
    20181001_202333.jpg

Yeah I already have a couple ARCs with the Seekins baseplates. They run great except for when they get dirty... you’re better off single feeding at that point.

My question was regarding the MDT metal mags, and whether or not the extensions that I currently have would work with the footprint/spring design.

Also curious as to how they are doing in less-than-ideal conditions (wet, dirty, etc.)

Reactions: MDT_Josh and bjay
    Yeah I already have a couple ARCs with the Seekins baseplates. They run great except for when they get dirty... you’re better off single feeding at that point.

My question was regarding the MDT metal mags, and whether or not the extensions that I currently have would work with the footprint/spring design.

Also curious as to how they are doing in less-than-ideal conditions (wet, dirty, etc.)
    Id like to see reviews as well

Personally I have not done much testing, but I have heard of a few shooters running the seekins and MPA extenders without any issue on our 10 ad 12 round magazines. When the 12 rounders will still a prototype, we dropped seekins extender on it at a match and it ran just fine!
    20180325_153305.jpg

As for running in less than ideal conditions, our magazines are tested in dirt, sand, water, mud (field conditions) and are specially designed to not bind when there are obstructions. We do recommend that you clean your your magazines periodically and dry-lube them, because then they run even better!

Reactions: bjay
    Well, going to try a 10 round with the binder plate and test on some BR variants.

Will also try the Seekins and MPA extensions to see how they do.

Hoping they feed nice and smoove.

I haven't had time to play with the magazine the last while but I'll see if I can get the dasher rounds feeding well this weekend. MTF.

I haven't had time to play with the magazine the last while but I'll see if I can get the dasher rounds feeding well this weekend. MTF.

Something to consider - I have not needed to use mag kits for any of my Dashers or other ‘improved’ BR variants. I’ve actually noticed that they run better without.

The shoulders are far enough forward and sufficiently engage the feed lips so the spacers are really unnecessary. I wouldn’t go crazy trying to get the PR kit to work if you really don’t need to in the first place.

Something to consider - I have not needed to use mag kits for any of my Dashers or other ‘improved’ BR variants. I’ve actually noticed that they run better without.

The shoulders are far enough forward and sufficiently engage the feed lips so the spacers are really unnecessary. I wouldn’t go crazy trying to get the PR kit to work if you really don’t need to in the first place.

I was thinking that this weekend and did try the stock setup. I could only get 9 rounds of Dasher max into the MDT 12 rounder and not have them nose-dive into the action (Tikka). Will keep trying other options.

I just bought a 12 rounder and I am having a 6br built right now. Have you done any testing with the 6br or only the "improved" versions?

I just bought a 12 rounder and I am having a 6br built right now. Have you done any testing with the 6br or only the "improved" versions?

The MDT that I received would not feed straight BR or improved versions. The rear of the case sat too low and wouldn’t get picked up by the bolt.

It may have been fixed with feed lip modification or a BR kit, but I had no inclination to go to town on a brand new mag when I already had a handful of others that work as is.

The mag seemed well built, and the capacity/size was nice, but for me it wasn’t worth the hassle of trying to fix it. Boxed it back up and returned it unfortunately. Josh did say they were working on an in-house fix for BRs but I haven’t heard any further specifics or when they might be available.

The MDT that I received would not feed straight BR or improved versions. The rear of the case sat too low and wouldn’t get picked up by the bolt.

It may have been fixed with feed lip modification or a BR kit, but I had no inclination to go to town on a brand new mag when I already had a handful of others that work as is.

The mag seemed well built, and the capacity/size was nice, but for me it wasn’t worth the hassle of trying to fix it. Boxed it back up and returned it unfortunately. Josh did say they were working on an in-house fix for BRs but I haven’t heard any further specifics or when they might be available.
    What mags would you suggest using for the 6br?

Just an update for the BR/Dasher folk out there. I had a Primal Rights kit that I tried to get to work in the MDT magazine and it just wouldn't work consistently with Dasher and either the kit or the original MDT follower. Lots of nosedives due to the followers flopping around.

Finally broke down and got a 3D printer on Black Friday and managed to make a new follower that uses the Primal Rights flat spring and has long anti-tilt legs on the front and back. Here's what the model looks like:

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 4.27.22 PM.png

Running the Tikka action I can fit 12 rounds in the mag and they seem to function very well. Will give it a real go this weekend.